Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

3 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Vlachodimos was blatantly just signed for PSR reasons. They are chasing Trafford because they are trying to play out from the back more this season and Pope is awful with his feet. 

It's still a bit of a strange signing. Like yes, you need to buy someone from Forest so Forest can offset what they're paying for Elliot Anderson. But it would still make more sense to find a player in Forest's squad that you would at least be prepared to put on the bench if you're giving them £20m or whatever it was. Unless there was literally no one in Forest's squad they'd put on their bench I suppose, maybe there wasn't. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's still a bit of a strange signing. Like yes, you need to buy someone from Forest so Forest can offset what they're paying for Elliot Anderson. But it would still make more sense to find a player in Forest's squad that you would at least be prepared to put on the bench if you're giving them £20m or whatever it was. Unless there was literally no one in Forest's squad they'd put on their bench I suppose, maybe there wasn't. 

We got Dobbin, Iling Junior and Barrenechea in PSR swaps, none of them got on our bench either. Not unusual I would say.

24 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

We got Dobbin, Iling Junior and Barrenechea in PSR swaps, none of them got on our bench either. Not unusual I would say.

We bought young kids who we can loan develop and then at worst sell for hopefully a small profit, best case they break through 

They got a 30 year old finished product GK that they seemingly don't want 

It's the same principle but very different results 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We bought young kids who we can loan develop and then at worst sell for hopefully a small profit, best case they break through 

They got a 30 year old finished product GK that they seemingly don't want 

It's the same principle but very different results 

Lol, didn't realise he was 30 year old...not that clever than. 😊

I did just have a look at Forest's squad and to be fair, it's quite hard to see who Newcastle could have got that they'd have wanted to put on the bench, but who Forest would have been prepared to trade. Omabamidele is about the best I can think of. 

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I did just have a look at Forest's squad and to be fair, it's quite hard to see who Newcastle could have got that they'd have wanted to put on the bench, but who Forest would have been prepared to trade. Omabamidele is about the best I can think of. 

they wanted elanga but either forest or the player said no

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

they wanted elanga but either forest or the player said no

Can certainly see how that would have made sense for Newcastle, can also see why Forest would have had a problem with it if they did. 

Anyone bemoaning our window take a pitiful look at the richest team in the world. Lloyd Kelly on a free and £10mill on one for the future from the blades. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Anyone bemoaning our window take a pitiful look at the richest team in the world. Lloyd Kelly on a free and £10mill on one for the future from the blades. 

Don't disagree but they're supposedly still active today so not sure if they do something late. I'd expect a loan from Chelsea at least

Their situation was a bit like ours in that their best business may be keeping the star players (Isak, Bruno) and getting people back (Tonali)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Ridiculous lies and distortion, doing them down as usual. It's this type of false conjecture that has always rubbed them the wrong way up there, it's about respect you know. 

They also paid £20m for Forest's third-choice goalkeeper. 

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Ridiculous lies and distortion, doing them down as usual. It's this type of false conjecture that has always rubbed them the wrong way up there, it's about respect you know. 

They also paid £20m for Forest's third-choice goalkeeper. 

I mean they also sold Eliot freaking Anderson for 40mn pounds to them, clearly PSR shenangings just the same we did. 

It looks from the outside like there's disharmony between Eddie Howe and the higher-ups at the club. I wonder if they're as hamstrung financially as it appears, or maybe they're reluctant to back the manager when they might consider replacing him with someone who fits better within the new structure? Howe has been outspoken about the balance of power within the setup, the transfer strategy both pre and post June 30th... It wouldn't surprise me if he's gone before the end of the season.

• Like 1

It's gan wrong, ya nah?

Newcastle manager Eddie Howe has told the club's fans "the dream is not over, it's just going to take a lot, lot longer".

When Amanda Staveley helped complete the Saudi-backed takeover of Newcastle in 2021, she claimed the Magpies could win the Premier League within 10 years.

They qualified for the Champions League in 2022-23 but finished seventh last term and Staveley sold her minority shareholding in the close season.

This summer's pursuit of Marc Guehi proved unsuccessful, with the England defender staying at Crystal Palace despite Newcastle making four bids, while the Magpies have also been struggling to complete a deal for Burnley goalkeeper James Trafford.

Asked if the club's fans had been sold a false dream, Howe, who has managed the side since 2021, said: "I don't think the dream dies, necessarily, but I think it takes a lot longer.

"We've got to build our revenue streams, that is the biggest thing. We've got to bring more money into the football club, however we do that - through player sales, through sponsorship, through loads of various things.

"That's the big thing that we need to focus on now for the next, probably, 10 years.

"Whether I'm lucky enough to see any of that, who knows? But the dream is not over, it's just going to take a lot, lot longer."

Newcastle's owners have invested more than £400m in the squad but over the last 12 months, the club's recruitment has been hampered by the Premier League's profitability and sustainability rules.

They had to sell Elliot Anderson and Yankuba Minteh in a bid to comply with PSR limits, and there has been speculation over the futures of Bruno Guimaraes and Alexander Isak, while the Magpies tried to broker a deal with Liverpool involving Anthony Gordon.

The permanent arrival of Lewis Hall had already been agreed so Newcastle's biggest summer signing has so far been Lloyd Kelly on a free transfer from Bournemouth.

"I'm not going to sit here and say it's been a brilliant transfer window for us," said 46-year-old Howe, who has also managed Bournemouth and Burnley.

"But it's not been through the want of trying. Everyone has tried really, really hard to improve the squad to make sure we've got a chance of success."

A.K.A: getting one's excuses in early for when they sack him

15 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

It looks from the outside like there's disharmony between Eddie Howe and the higher-ups at the club. I wonder if they're as hamstrung financially as it appears, or maybe they're reluctant to back the manager when they might consider replacing him with someone who fits better within the new structure? Howe has been outspoken about the balance of power within the setup, the transfer strategy both pre and post June 30th... It wouldn't surprise me if he's gone before the end of the season.

Yeah I think it's more likely they can spend a bit but only have one big window in em and they don't trust Howe with it

1 hour ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

PSR is going to be a big problem for them regardless of who is charge. I think, however, with a £400m+ spend since the takeover he's not hit the heights they had hoped, and they will look to replace. Howe has hit his ceiling.

On 27/08/2024 at 11:18, HanoiVillan said:

Awonyi might've been possible given he gets one bad injury a season so would've basically replaced Wilson in the squad. Just keep him off penalties!

6 hours ago, Jareth said:

PSR has hurt us but the big advantage is it's stopped Newcastle right in their tracks in last two years. They got to CL and couldn't push on and haven't this summer with no Europe and playing once a week mainly.

Get the feeling with this lack of strengthening it will cost Howe his job sooner or later.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â