Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

48 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The league could still kick the owners out if they lied about connection to the Saudi state. Just because the Saudis aren’t on a sanctions list doesn’t mean the League cannot invalidate it if they find impropriety. Not saying it will happen but it’s not impossible. 

That would be interesting, I assume the “absolutely not involved” Saudi government would then get involved and pressure the FA and UK government.

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

The league could still kick the owners out if they lied about connection to the Saudi state. Just because the Saudis aren’t on a sanctions list doesn’t mean the League cannot invalidate it if they find impropriety. Not saying it will happen but it’s not impossible. 

I'd like that. But I think if the state are not arms length enough from the board, they'll just appoint a different board and retain ownership - that would satisfy all parties. 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

That would be interesting, I assume the “absolutely not involved” Saudi government would then get involved and pressure the FA and UK government.

A convenient international friendly between England and Saudi Arabia in Riyadh will be arranged

• Like 2

What a season they’ve had. I think this year is perhaps the last year where you can kinda separate the ownership from what’s happened on the pitch, not entirely of course but they haven’t even begun to flex the muscle they now have with the Saudi backing (expect that to change, drastically, in the summer).

Excellent defence (except for when we tore them apart), good going forward and scoring good quality goals too. Isak looks to be turning into a world class player and unfortunately it just has to be said that Eddie Howe has been a revelation there.

4 hours ago, The_Steve said:

The FA new full well the situation with the Saudis, they turned them down for over a year. Then the UK government got involved and told the FA to approve it anyway, so they are approved…

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What a season they’ve had. I think this year is perhaps the last year where you can kinda separate the ownership from what’s happened on the pitch, not entirely of course but they haven’t even begun to flex the muscle they now have with the Saudi backing (expect that to change, drastically, in the summer).

Excellent defence (except for when we tore them apart), good going forward and scoring good quality goals too. Isak looks to be turning into a world class player and unfortunately it just has to be said that Eddie Howe has been a revelation there.

Not sure you can separate it entirely. They bought players that had this seasons FFP amortisation partially offset by their dodgy self-interest sleeve sponsorship deal.

Also probably persuaded a lot of their signings to join on the grounds of the future spends they'll be making through their future dodgy deals. Wouldn't put it past them to have off the book deals with players in Saudi funds.

Innocent until proven guilty but seeing what City did I wouldn't be shocked. 

16 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Not sure you can separate it entirely. They bought players that had this seasons FFP amortisation partially offset by their dodgy self-interest sleeve sponsorship deal.

Also probably persuaded a lot of their signings to join on the grounds of the future spends they'll be making through their future dodgy deals. Wouldn't put it past them to have off the book deals with players in Saudi funds.

Innocent until proven guilty but seeing what City did I wouldn't be shocked. 

Well, yeah. Hence the ‘kinda’ part of my post.

It’s obviously had an influence but I think they’re there on merit, sadly.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LondonLax said:

The FA new full well the situation with the Saudis, they turned them down for over a year. Then the UK government got involved and told the FA to approve it anyway, so they are approved…

The Tory intervention is a major stain on the game. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/newcastle-agree-25m-a-year-shirt-sponsorship-with-middle-east-company-3v7gtlzgd

"Newcastle agree £25m a year shirt sponsorship with a Middle East firm."

Only surprise is that it's not higher.

It is still a 300% increase on what they were getting this season (£8m). I wonder who financed their agreement with Fun88 to end their sponsorship deal with them two years early. It will be interesting to find out what this Middle Eastern country (that is apparently not Saudi Arabia) is and what links the "Middle East firm" may or may not have with Saudi Arabia’s public investment fund (PIF). Newcastle insist that the new agreement will fall inside the Premier League’s “fair market value”. They would say that wouldn't they?:rolleyes:

29 minutes ago, John said:

It is still a 300% increase on what they were getting this season (£8m). I wonder who financed their agreement with Fun88 to end their sponsorship deal with them two years early. It will be interesting to find out what this Middle Eastern country (that is apparently not Saudi Arabia) is and what links the "Middle East firm" may or may not have with Saudi Arabia’s public investment fund (PIF). Newcastle insist that the new agreement will fall inside the Premier League’s “fair market value”. They would say that wouldn't they?:rolleyes:

If its a non affiliated company it doesn't have to be fair market value.

They only have to have the self owning deals verified by the PL.

They'll have done everything they can to disguise the fact that this shirt funding is directly (or maybe even indirectly) funded by the PIF.

Disgusting. No way they get 25m if they're not owned by Saudi Arabia. The league need to hang their heads in shame.

• Like 3

When I say indirectly, what will happen is the Saudi PIF will have some deal with the company/country that is sponsoring the shirts, which will be the equivalent value to that company of the amount theyre paying for shirt sponsorship.

• Like 1

The fans arguing it is a fair amount as they're now a Champs League club and their peers are all on £40-70m a year.

Getting slightly ahead of themselves there and ignoring the fact that clubs like Utd and Liverpool have 10 times the number of fans they have around the world. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â