Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

7 hours ago, Pinebro said:

I had no idea Eddie Howe was this good 

He's OK.

Had Bournemouth punching above their level with a load of league 1/2 players for about 5 years.

He can't buy a player to save his life. So they've taken all recruitment off him and just give him players for holes in the squad.

We let our manager who can't buy a player put £150m on the club's books and he bought his mate :crylaugh:

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

They've made smart decisions, we haven't. 

Pretty simple. 

Yep when they were taken over people genuinely thought Ross Barkley, Zaha and erm Coutinho would be the type of star signings they were after.

Instead they now have a very solid spine of Nick Pope-Trippier-Botman-Guimaraes-Isak and some of the existing players like Fraser and Almiron have got going again under Howe's management.

Such a shame Gerrard didn't go there last October, he'd have relegated them based on what he's produced here.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It was bouncing post-Bruce. That's exactly where Newcastle still are.

But instead of buying Wesley and Trezeguet, they are buying exclusively excellent players.

Guimaraes was there at Lyon when we went in from Traore. Perhaps he was too expensive or wasn't interested in moving to us but he was playing alongside Douglas Luiz for Brazil at the time so opportunity was there.

Drop someone like that into our central midfield and we'd look miles better.

Trippier is also someone who up until the last year would never have interested us due to his age so sometimes you've just got to pay for the experienced types who can push you up the league in the short term. He's certainly been much better for them than Digne for us.

Edited by VillaChris

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Guimaraes was there at Lyon when we went in from Traore. Perhaps he was too expensive or wasn't interested in moving to us but he was playing alongside Douglas Luiz for Brazil at the time so opportunity was there.

Drop someone like that into our central midfield and we'd look miles better.

He had played only 3 games for Lyon at that point as he signed just before Covid and the French League never started up again 

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

The banners yesterday were cringy and small time 😂😂😂

They were absolutely pathetic. Rightly and resoundingly ridiculed all over twitter. 

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

It was bouncing post-Bruce. That's exactly where Newcastle still are.

But instead of buying Wesley and Trezeguet, they are buying exclusively excellent players.

Yes, because spending £65m on a striker is exactly what you should be getting. Let's not get into the revisionism of respective positions. Have some respect, Trez helped keep us in the league.

12 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Yes, because spending £65m on a striker is exactly what you should be getting. Let's not get into the revisionism of respective positions. Have some respect, Trez helped keep us in the league.

No clue what you're saying.

Isak not better than Wes?

Money has moved on, players cost a bit more...but they have money, just like we do (did before Gerrard wasted lots).

You seem to get upset at how good they're going to be. Me too.

Trippier only actually cost 12m.

And indeed they signed Targett full time for exactly same fee as we did.

Even Guimaraes was "only" 40m which again is the range you have to pay now to get in players in central areas who can revolutionise your style. He has for Newcastle, Buendia and Bailey less so for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villa_Vids said:

The media love them to bits. Very strange given who owns them. 

Scared of being cut into pieces no doubt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Villa_Vids said:

Think it's a hangover of 90s when so many jumped on their bandwagon for a couple of years.

We had a very good team in those days that also finished 2nd and actually won stuff but we're not remembered like that Keegan team was.

Edited by VillaChris

13 hours ago, useless said:

On Newcastle doing well but why I'm not getting carried away

They went on an amazing run last season, and that momentum has carried on a little this season, they remind me a little of West Ham when they did well the season before last and then they carried that momentum into the start of last season but then faded away and have in fact not been in great form for approaching a year now, and I think we might see something similar with Newcastle, not them losing form for a year, but going back to midtable form.

"They went on an amazing run last season, and that momentum has carried on a little this season"

I say 'a little this season' because their start hasn't actually been all that amazing, fourteen points from nine games, not bad but it's not much better than the likes of Bournemouth and Fulham, and Brighton and Man Utd just below them have games in hand, after nine games last season the whole of the top ten had fourteen points, a thing like this: if we win tomorrow we won't be far behind them in the current table.

Also I disagree with this idea that they've overtaken us as a club, it might be that they go on a spending spree signing loads of world class players and become a permanent champions league team or whatever, but for now they've just been in better form than us, that doesn't mean to say they've overtaken us or any number of other midtable teams, same as when West Ham had their good run I didn't think they had 'overtaken' us, or even Wolves when they had a couple of seasons finishing top seven, and by the same token I wary if we go on a good run it doesn't mean that we've suddenly overtaken other teams, as establishing yourself is done over multiple seasons.

"Also I disagree with this idea that they've overtaken us as a club"

For me I only consider a team to have overtaken us as a club, when they've got themselves into such a postion that it would take multiple seasons of improvement from us and for them to have a disastrous turnaround in fortunes for us to have any chance whatsoever of catching them, so as it stands just Man City, Liverpool. Arsenal. Chelsea, Tottenham, and Man Utd, it genuinely feels a long time before we can even dream of finishing above those, any other team it woudn't be a major surprise if we finished above them in the near future, including Newcastle.

An excellent draft essay this useless, but I feel I need to remind you to include a thesis statement beginning 'In this essay I will . . .'

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

Media have changed the tune from a year ago when the fans were dreadful and the manager was some sort of victim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Media have changed the tune from a year ago when the fans were dreadful and the manager was some sort of victim

The local ones weren't defending Bruce that much, think Martin Hardy who covers them got banned from the training ground in the end for constantly getting under SB's skin with sensible football tactical questions.

Edit; Sorry was Craig Hope as Bruce said he leaked that story about Matt Ritchie criticising his tactics.

Steve Bruce explains why he banned journalist who wrote Matt Ritchie story - Newcastle United Mad (newcastleunited-mad.co.uk)

Bruce claims Craig Hope of he Daily Mail has it in for him | Pool/Getty Images

Bruce admitted that he had an altercation with Ritchie but insisted the story about Darlow and other details is false. He has banned the journalist who wrote the piece – Craig Hope of the Daily Mail – and claimed the paper have something against him personally.

“There is no denying I have had a row, an argument, whatever you want to call it, with Matt Ritchie. In my experience, 20 years of doing this job and 20 years as a player, it happens up and down the country in various training grounds,” Bruce said, quoted by the Telegraph.

Edited by VillaChris

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

The local ones weren't defending Bruce that much, think Martin Hardy who covers them got banned from the training ground in the end for constantly getting under SB's skin with sensible football tactical questions.

Edit; Sorry was Craig Hope as Bruce said he leaked that story about Matt Ritchie criticising his tactics.

Steve Bruce explains why he banned journalist who wrote Matt Ritchie story - Newcastle United Mad (newcastleunited-mad.co.uk)

More on about the idiots on Sky like Stelling, Neville etc who always seemed to blame the fans and not Bruce

Now happy kissing the new owners ass

20 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He's OK.

Had Bournemouth punching above their level with a load of league 1/2 players for about 5 years.

He can't buy a player to save his life. So they've taken all recruitment off him and just give him players for holes in the squad.

We let our manager who can't buy a player put £150m on the club's books and he bought his mate :crylaugh:

Pretty good mate to have though.

Â