Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

24 minutes ago, penguin said:

They have been so easy to cut through and score against. 

Have now signed 2 very solid fullbacks and a supposedly highly rated defensive midfielder, I think they’ll stay up easily now unfortunately.

Hmmm I honestly don’t believe the signings of Woods and Burn, hell even Trippier are that good.

Targett, he’s been poor so far this season for us, I can’t see him improving in relegation battling team, feel a lot of his flaws will be further highlighted. 

2 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

So, they've signed...

Trippier - obviously gone for a big pay cheque

Burn - Bit of a downgrade on Carlos

Targett - Our 2nd choice LB and a player woefully out of form

Guimares - Talented but a risk 

Wood - Who Burnley have replaced with a better striker

Ekikte - Never heard of him but they are going on like he's Pele. 

If this was Villa, I'd not be getting excited. They still have a lot of dross that have put them in the position they are in and I can't see these players miraculously changing that short term. I still think they will go down.

The main thing is they've signed players better than they already have and there wasn't a lot in it anyway

They'll stay up, them being so shit has clouded the fact that they were never really that far adrift, the great escape stuff will be sickening

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

The main thing is they've signed players better than they already have and there wasn't a lot in it anyway

They'll stay up, them being so shit has clouded the fact that they were never really that far adrift, the great escape stuff will be sickening

They probably will finish about 15th now. Leeds they should finish over and then teams like Palace, Brighton and Southampton can go weeks without winning a game plus Everton 

• Like 1

At the start of the window the problem they had is that even if they signed a load of players to improve there would still be a worry about them gelling as a team at such short notice, it's difficult enough to do after a summer transfer window, nevemind the winter transfer window half way through the season, the only real way to counter that is if you sign such top class players that gelling with other players isn't as much as an issue for them...

But Newcastle haven't really done that, their biggest weakness has been their defence, where looks like the signings will be Burn, Trippier, and Targett, that's pretty much an whole new defence, and they will need those players to develop an understanding straight away, it's not as if they brought in the likes of Digne, Botman, Carlos or any of the other highly rated defenders they were being linked with, and before the window their midfield was incredibly weak, one of the weakest in the Premier League, so not sure if Guimarães alone fixes that.

1 minute ago, useless said:

At the start of the window the problem they had is that even if they signed a load of players to improve there would still be a worry about them gelling as a team at such short notice, it's difficult enough to do after a summer transfer window, nevemind the winter transfer window half way through the season, the only real way to counter that is if you sign such top class players that gelling with other players isn't as much as an issue for them...

But Newcastle haven't really done that, their biggest weakness has been their defence, where looks like the signings will be Burn, Trippier, and Targett, that's pretty much an whole new defence, and they will need those players to develop an understanding straight away, it's not as if they brought in the likes of Digne, Botman, Carlos or any of the other highly rated defenders they were being linked with, and before the window their midfield was incredibly weak, one of the weakest in the Premier League, so not sure if Guimarães alone fixes that.

I think Trippier/Burn/Targett settles much more quickly than bringing in a player who is entirely new to the league.  It's a good balance of experimental signings and those who are established in the Premier League.

If Norwich, Burnley, or Watford, had have signed Burn, Targett, and Trippier, I doubt people woud be saying that's their season saved and they're going to climb up the table. First two are squad players at midtable teams.  Not saying they will definitely go down, they have a chance of staying up, as they did before the transfer window, just by virtue of the fact that they were in touching distance of safety, but I don't think their signings have been so amazing that they're now suddenly guaranteed safety.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, useless said:

If Norwich, Burnley, or Watford, had have signed Burn, Targett, and Trippier, I doubt people woud be saying that's their season saved and they're going to climb up the table. First two are squad players at midtable teams.  Not saying they will definitely go down, they have a chance of staying up, as they did before the transfer window, just by virtue of the fact that they were in touching distance of safety, but I don't think their signings have been so amazing that they're now suddenly guaranteed safety.

I don't think anyone is saying Newcastle are saved because they've signed Trippier (and maybe Targett and Burn)?  They're just signings that fully improve their defence and are all experienced in the Premier League.  No-one is saying they're guaranteed safety either but they're 100% strengthening their squad - quite substantially - whilst the others are not doing the same.  I think everyone would agree that Newcastle have given themselves a better chance of surviving, no?

(FWIW, those defensive players would also be good signings for Norwich and Watford, certainly, and probably Burnley too although they seem more defensively solid than the other 3).

• Like 2

I think if Norwich, Watford or Burnley had signed 3 defenders, all of which are improvements on their current starters people would have the exact same reaction they have with Newcastle doing the same.

Edited by penguin

They've made what appear to be smart-ish signings, at significant expense. If some or all of them hit the ground running, they will get enough points to get safe. If none or almost none of them do, they won't. 

The likelihood sadly is that they'll sneak over the line IMO. What the hell we're playing at by giving them Targett I do not know. Baffled and saddened by the decision. 

• Like 1

At this rate I think Newcastle might even purchase me, and I have arthritis, can't play football anymore and haven't played since I was a kid. 😆 Seriously though, guess it was to be expected with them needing anyone they could get hold of. Should be interesting to see how they gel together. 

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

They probably will finish about 15th now. Leeds they should finish over and then teams like Palace, Brighton and Southampton can go weeks without winning a game plus Everton 

You’re predicting Newcastle will finish above Brighton, Southampton and/or Palace?!

3 hours ago, penguin said:

I think if Norwich, Watford or Burnley had signed 3 defenders, all of which are improvements on their current starters people would have the exact same reaction they have with Newcastle doing the same.

Personally don’t rate Burn.

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

You’re predicting Newcastle will finish above Brighton, Southampton and/or Palace?!

If the players gel they certainly should finish over one of them, they are very capable of going on long winless runs

just means more pressure on Howe :P 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â