Christian Benteke

Kwan

How many people have really slagged him off since he joined us?

'Slagged him off' might be a strong way of putting it but I certainly lost count or just stopped bothering to count the amount of times I read people say things like "yeah he might have done well but I'm still not sure" or "but he hasn't convinced me yet" or words to that effect by people who I presume had 2 functioning eyes in their head.

And PB hit the nail on the head when he said

"he is getting this attention from the media BECAUSE he has been playing so well. (basically trying to spin the Villa little provincial club in shit hole town, what are they doing with a classy player like this? line)"

We're lucky to have him and we'll do well to hold on to him.

I really couldn't care less about those quotes, even if they do end up being true.

Let's be realistic for a moment. Any players that we sign with a good amount of potential, as Benteke, will be looking at us as a stepping stone. And if they're not, then I'd be worried about their ambition. Perhaps he's been a bit too frank and lacked tact in an interview. But meh, we all know that we're not his dream club, don't we? Perhaps some don't want to admit it to themselves.

I mean, the 'pretence' would be nice, but then that just get's people's back up when it comes to contract renewal time when they refuse to sign.

They're all mercenaries, and I don't blame them for it, there is too much money to be made.

I really couldn't care less about those quotes, even if they do end up being true.

Let's be realistic for a moment. Any players that we sign with a good amount of potential, as Benteke, will be looking at us as a stepping stone. And if they're not, then I'd be worried about their ambition. Perhaps he's been a bit too frank and lacked tact in an interview. But meh, we all know that we're not his dream club, don't we? Perhaps some don't want to admit it to themselves.

I mean, the 'pretence' would be nice, but then that just get's people's back up when it comes to contract renewal time when they refuse to sign.

They're all mercenaries, and I don't blame them for it, there is too much money to be made.

Completely true, I said a few pages back what was said or apparently said just showed a lack of respect to the club and fans, now apparently it was taken out of context so fair enough, what I don't agree with is certain posters trying to poke the bear by going "mwahaha you all over reacted dicks".

No problem with him thinking like this. Hope he gets his wish.

If he ends up at Arsenal he will have scored a lot of goals, proved his worth and been sold for a **** ton of cash.

All of which are good things for Aston Villa.

I don't expect loyalty from any player (Gareth Barry taught me that) so when you just view them as money grabbing rocket polishers and/or club assests it make things a bit easier.

Agree with this, however as many have stated, it's one thing to think it and another to announce it to the media.

He's had a good couple of game, playing for Arsenal is a long way off, not 3 months after joining us! If he continues to perform then I won't be bothered I guess and it's nice that he has those ambitions.

Gonna chime into this hours after the bulk of the debate has been had, but I'd quite like to play for Arsenal too. Maybe if I prove myself as a top class striker at another Premier League club and score, say, twenty goals and contribute with my fair share of assists and an ability to lead the line effectively then they will be interested. You could say the same thing about Benteke. If he wants a Champions League club to come in for him them he has to play well for us for a year or two first, if that happens then we get the services of a great striker for a while and make a tidy profit. Its good for us.

Gonna chime into this hours after the bulk of the debate has been had, but I'd quite like to play for Arsenal too. Maybe if I prove myself as a top class striker at another Premier League club and score, say, twenty goals and contribute with my fair share of assists and an ability to lead the line effectively then they will be interested. You could say the same thing about Benteke. If he wants a Champions League club to come in for him them he has to play well for us for a year or two first, if that happens then we get the services of a great striker for a while and make a tidy profit. Its good for us.

I kind of agree with you here in the terms of making profit out of a player Rev but if it meant dismantling the team and starting over again from scratch then it sort of defeats the object.

For example Arsenal make it look good when they do it because of the position they are in and the stature of the club.

When we are more established and cemented in that part of the table again I am sure it would be a great benefit to us too.

We did it with Barry, Downing, Young, Milner. combined they all cost us around 34m and they got sold for a total of about 58m. (roughly 24m profit)

Now as nice as that sounds it is a shame but at the same time a bloody good job we sold them because most of it was used paying the wages of hefty contracted average players we still had and 2 previous manager pay offs and compos to there previous clubs to get them here.

Now without this happening I don't think we would have seen any Bents, Nzogs, Givens, Huttons, Jenas, Makouns, Bradleys arrive at this club either.

Just a shame we had to overcome a previous disaster otherwise that would have been nice business for our club.

But all in all it can be good if your a club in Arsenals position but at the same time it has took them nearly 18 years to get where they are now to be in such a position to be able to do this with the team continuing to remain in the top 4 season after season.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â