Christian Benteke

Kwan

So we've got one striker who can create great chances for himself but never score them, and one striker who can't make chances for himself but will bury anything that comes his way. Maybe we're developing some sort of secret crossover-cloning thing to create the ultimate striker.

Bent does not "bury anything that comes his way"

He takes about 1 in 3 of his excellent chances. Maybe 1 in 4.

At the moment i have to agree but there are contributing factors to that ratio especially in his time with us over the past two seasons.

His main supply Downing and Young were sold. He was then asked to play in a withdrawn role with McLeish. He knew that he was the main vocal point of our attack and that chances would be at a premium so with those limited chances he was under a lot more pressure to score and began to snatch at those chances.

Since Lambert was appointed we have generally played without width, less crosses coming in and no midfielder to thread passes to him. Again more pressure on him to bury those limited chances. I'm not at all surprised that Bent has become more than a little disillusioned especially with being appointed captain and then that being taken off him as well. His confidence has been effected and it wouldn't surprise me at to see him leave in January if the right bid came in.

I tend to think that Lambert should have identified Bent as the one quality player we have left and then built his team and system around him and for those reasons we should have spent 7m on a proper number 10 to play off Bent in the hole rather than purchasing another target man in Benteke if we were going to play with a narrow midfield and no width.

What are you basing this on? The 3/4 sitters he's missed for us already? People laughing at him at training? The sky commentators slating him? His all round poor performances? Will Bannan and Herd be off to big clubs too?

He is one of the stars in a very talented Belgian national team, and had a great last season in Belgium. The big clubs are finally seeing the quality in the players that do well in the Belgian league.

The statement has nothing to do with his first appearences in Aston Villa. I am not so stupid that I give a young talented striker from abroad the "verdict" after under a half season in a new league.

At the moment i have to agree but there are contributing factors to that ratio especially in his time with us over the past two seasons.

His main supply Downing and Young were sold. He was then asked to play in a withdrawn role with McLeish. He knew that he was the main vocal point of our attack and that chances would be at a premium so with those limited chances he was under a lot more pressure to score and began to snatch at those chances.

Really? What was Harry Redknapp on about then, three years before he even pulled on a Villa shirt? How about his most famous moment to date, missing *that* chance against Croatia that would have put England into the Euros, or the more recent shocking miss against Switzerland? Are those Lambert's fault as well?

Darren Bent throughout his whole career has been a striker with a patchy record of finishing. A phenomenal predator, with great positional sense, but a real tendency to scuff shots, his ratio of finishing off sitters really is only 1 in 3 or 4 as was said. As has also been said, thats why he's playing for us and not a top side.

You might argue the same is true of benteke, and you might be right at this moment, but Benteke is younger (and so can learn) and does so much more for the team, is so much more of a threat.

Really? What was Harry Redknapp on about then, three years before he even pulled on a Villa shirt? How about his most famous moment to date, missing *that* chance against Croatia that would have put England into the Euros, or the more recent shocking miss against Switzerland? Are those Lambert's fault as well?

Darren Bent throughout his whole career has been a striker with a patchy record of finishing. A phenomenal predator, with great positional sense, but a real tendency to scuff shots, his ratio of finishing off sitters really is only 1 in 3 or 4 as was said. As has also been said, thats why he's playing for us and not a top side.

You might argue the same is true of benteke, and you might be right at this moment, but Benteke is younger (and so can learn) and does so much more for the team, is so much more of a threat.

Benteke 'is so much more of a threat' than Bent? If you don't mind, after a comment like that, i'll pass on the rest.

Ok i'll agree with both of you. If i had my choice i would rather meet Bent in a dark alley than Benteke.

The only thing that is so good about Bent is getting into positions to score easy goals and being able to finish, which he doesn't seem to be able to do (maybe just in this team?), so hes completely useless at the moment but would be quality for Arsenal.

Benteke is better than Bent at passing, heading, holding the ball up, running the line, every aspect of a strength game and creating chances for himself, which is what we need to keep the ball down the other end. Its not like Bent offers pace either because hes not really quick at all.

Im willing to be you that any defence would much rather play against Bent than Benteke.

He is, how can you say hes not?

But have you looked at Bents goal record. Up there with Rooney over the last 5 years. Consistently hitting 1 every 2 games across a number of clubs. He may take a few chances but constantly gets himself into position for another. Benteke may do more for the team but right now we are desperately short of goals and were choosing to not play to the strengths of a man who has consistently scored in the prem.

I am just hoping we see Bent and Benteke start together this weekend. We need goals at the moment and Bent is the only player who we know can consistently score them. And out of the other strikers, Benteke has the best chance of bringing Bent into games by holding the ball up and knocking balls down. Thought the partnership was good between them at Southampton for the first 50 minutes or so before the whole team collapsed, so here is hoping we see it this weekend.

I'm actually astounded that at the moment that some people think that Benteke carries more of a threat than Bent. I could quote figures, recent sitters missed by Benteke but what i'm more alarmed at is if Bent gets a sniff of some us not wanting him here. Coupled with Lambert's apparent indifference to him and not wanting to play to his strengths, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he asks for a transfer in January?

That for me would sign our death warrant if Lambert thought Benteke and Gabby were going to score enough to keep us up without a replacement being purchased. I also don't think we are in any position at the moment to get rid of the only quality player we have left. I'm not advocating pandering to the player and i do think Lambert was right to drop Bent to the bench to give him a little reminder but we do need Bent especially when Benteke is still trying to find his feet, if he ever will?

Just be careful for what you wish for because i can remember when Milner, Barry, Downing and Young left, some on VT said that those players would be replaced and we'd still be challenging top 6-8.

So we've got one striker who can create great chances for himself but never score them, and one striker who can't make chances for himself but will bury anything that comes his way. Maybe we're developing some sort of secret crossover-cloning thing to create the ultimate striker.

brilliant!

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â