Christian Benteke

Kwan

It would indeed be interesting to see how he handles a transfer to a big club. The pressure of costing his club between £18 and £20 million is quite different than coming to a relegation battling Villa as a relatively speaking unknown quantity. I wonder how he would handle that and if he could live with that kind of pressure to perform?

The figures reported have ranged from £15m to £40m+.

At the end of the day, we won't sell for £20m, Spuds don't want to pay any more than that.

For all we know Lerner/Lambert could be holding out for £30m, but either way Spuds will have set a figure that as a business they will not go higher than.

£20m is a lot of money, but it isn't enough for Christian Benteke.

At the end of the day, we won't sell for £20m, Spuds don't want to pay any more than that.

For all we know Lerner/Lambert could be holding out for £30m, but either way Spuds will have set a figure that as a business they will not go higher than.

I agree, Benteke is probably worth £25 million, can't be worth no more as he's had one good season.

However, because of how he's reacting to wanting to leave, Spurs, or any other club looking to buy, know Villa are in a situation where they can either sell lower and reinvest or keep hold of an un-happy player who has a track record of forcing his feelings onto a club (strike at Genk) to force the issue.

I know he has a 3 year contract but in the cold light of day, we've seen enough in modern football to know contracts really don't mean anything. If he stayed and got played, then already you go into the season with a divide around the club. It seemed that everyone started pulling together come the end of last season, started to get behind the team and Lambert and were looking forward to next season to see what this team could kick onto. I can't look forward to next season if he stays, as we then have a possible situation where other players start to resent Benteke or the bickering between fans resurfaces,

Plus, how much do you think clubs would be willing to pay next summer for an un-happy player with a 2 year contract on low(ish) wages. Not the figures we are looking at right now, that is certain.

Pleasantly surprised by the lack of "slash your wrists" talk on here....take the money and reinvest in the team!!! As long as the gaffer gets ALL the money then I've no problem selling to the highest bidder!!!!

You're back!! :wub:

• Like 1

you can all say you want him out but deep down there you want him to stay...

I can honestly say, I want him gone.

I am grateful that he came in, scored goals etc... but I can't stand players who bring this attitude to Villa.

One season he's had, one. If he believes he has 'cracked' it and is a fully fledged star then that's up to him. However, in my opinion, Aston Villa is a big enough stage for this player at this time in his career and he's a fool to think otherwise.

If he'd given us 2/3 seasons of consistent quality, then yes, I'd be sad to see him go or gutted he wanted out but I'd understand. However, he's just being a idiot and conforming to the stereotypical view, which is sadly a very accurate one, that people hold of the modern day Footballer.

• Like 2

I agree, Benteke is probably worth £25 million, can't be worth no more as he's had one good season.

However, because of how he's reacting to wanting to leave, Spurs, or any other club looking to buy, know Villa are in a situation where they can either sell lower and reinvest or keep hold of an un-happy player who has a track record of forcing his feelings onto a club (strike at Genk) to force the issue.

I know he has a 3 year contract but in the cold light of day, we've seen enough in modern football to know contracts really don't mean anything. If he stayed and got played, then already you go into the season with a divide around the club. It seemed that everyone started pulling together come the end of last season, started to get behind the team and Lambert and were looking forward to next season to see what this team could kick onto. I can't look forward to next season if he stays, as we then have a possible situation where other players start to resent Benteke or the bickering between fans resurfaces,

Plus, how much do you think clubs would be willing to pay next summer for an un-happy player with a 2 year contract on low(ish) wages. Not the figures we are looking at right now, that is certain.

Next Summer it won't be about us though, if he stays and wants his big move/world cup football next Summer, then he will have to perform 100% this season rather than sulking.

This is why we have the power, we don't need the money if we don't sell it is unlikely that Benteke will want to ruin his entire career by refusing to train or play.

• Like 1

Next Summer it won't be about us though, if he stays and wants his big move/world cup football next Summer, then he will have to perform 100% this season rather than sulking.

This is why we have the power, we don't need the money if we don't sell it is unlikely that Benteke will want to ruin his entire career by refusing to train or play.

Fair comment.

But then you are giving a player, who has openly stated his desire to leave, playing time over other players who are at/moved to the club who actually WANT to be here for the right reasons.

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation.

It's a shame he has joined at the start of what could be a good few years for Villa. He's joined a side that has completely ripped up it's principles about how things should be done and gone back to basics. If we'd finished top 6/7 I honestly believe we'd not be in this situation with the player.

I think I will go with the clubs and PL assessment, they talk to the player and are the only ones to know the score, If Pl wants him to stay then I can be pretty sure it wont unsettle the squad, we have had other players sidelined and this has not really had a negative effect, At the end of the day we only know what the supposedly ITK and media tell us so I reserve judgement on if some things reported are true, there may be other reasons players are sidelined and the rest of the players support the decision. Time will tell but if he stays then I will support the team and him as well.

Fair comment.

But then you are giving a player, who has openly stated his desire to leave, playing time over other players who are at/moved to the club who actually WANT to be here for the right reasons.

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation.

It's a shame he has joined at the start of what could be a good few years for Villa. He's joined a side that has completely ripped up it's principles about how things should be done and gone back to basics. If we'd finished top 6/7 I honestly believe we'd not be in this situation with the player.

there is not a single player who is as wanted as benteke in the squad is lets see what weimann would do when he is as wanted as benteke is. you can say ooh other players want to stay but theyr not hunted down for their signature. it isnt the same. i  would be very suprised if you ppl wouldnt want your paycheck to be 5 time doubled if u got the chanse for it.

Edited by Belgian guy

It would indeed be interesting to see how he handles a transfer to a big club. The pressure of costing his club between £18 and £20 million is quite different than coming to a relegation battling Villa as a relatively speaking unknown quantity. I wonder how he would handle that and if he could live with that kind of pressure to perform?

thats why he only wants to join spurts and not a big club

The other thing to remember that to us fans Villa means everything, to players it is a job, a well paid one but a job none the less, If i was offered more money and a chance to work with more skilled coworkers giving me a chance to improve myself even more then I also would consider it. If CB ends up staying then I have no doubt he will but in his best effort, he will not want to let himself, the other players, the management and the fans down. He probably feels that handing in the transfer request was the professional way to go and in effect it was, yes we feel he owes us, but does he really? he earned his wages last year and paid the club back, yes he has a contract but as we know this means nothing if one party wants out of it, it just means the other party has to give permission, all the transfer request did was ask for that permission. CB may well feel he needs to move as he is ready, then again he may feel in time that he was wrong and he can do another year with us, who knows, whatever the outcome we should not take it personally, be dissapointed by all means but he hasn't really said anything publically to belittle the club.

Having your best player handing in a transfer request is a "fantastic position"?We have the best of a bad situation, yes.

Well, OK. But the best of bad situation is hardly the same as being in a "fantastic position". The latter would be where Benteke had signed a new contract and declared great enthusiasm for the coming season at Villa.

As it stands, it's unlikely that such an unhappy player is going to perform as well as last season and, even worse, could well cause serious ructions and spread demoralisation across your squad. Your club decision makers will have to decide whether the risks involved are worth turning down a transfer profit of £11m (my guess), being able to reinvest £19m in the squad and move on with a united set of players.

I'm not saying that Benteke's sale to Spurs will happen, but I am saying that the choices are more limited and more difficult than the vast majority of posts in this thread would indicate.

Spurs have lost several really good players in recent seasons - it's the way of the world. But we've mostly emerged with a stronger squad, because the sale proceeds have been spent mostly wisely. Villa can do the same.

Is it just me that finds his posts incredibly patronising.

Of course we do. And tbh, he telegraphed his intentions when interviewed prior to signing as well as coming with a certain reputation that none of us were blind to.

Still hurts though.

i'll be totally honest I'm desperate for him to stay with us, to get his head down stay one more season and help us develop on the pitch some more. The lad is a world class player, been ages since we had one of them in fact I'd argue we never have before. He oozes class on the field, not so much off it, but in terms of his ability he is top notch.

But the thing is, and don't get me wrong Belgian guy I think you are a decent poster and I'm glad you are on this site so please don't take this he wrong way, I am a fan of this club and I think you have to be a fan of this club totally bought into the club and what's best for the club to have the opinion that if he wants to go then its best he does, my loyalties are to the club not benteke.

You see if he wants to stay and be committed to the club for the next season then that's what I want more than anything but it doesn't look that way, he has had his head turned (helped by a word removed of an agent), he wants to go to another club , spurts FFs, and he has made it clear. I only want those committed to the club. Benteke isnt

• Like 1

i'll be totally honest I'm desperate for him to stay with us, to get his head down stay one more season and help us develop on the pitch some more. The lad is a world class player, been ages since we had one of them in fact I'd argue we never have before. He oozes class on the field, not so much off it, but in terms of his ability he is top notch.

But the thing is, and don't get me wrong Belgian guy I think you are a decent poster and I'm glad you are on this site so please don't take this he wrong way, I am a fan of this club and I think you have to be a fan of this club totally bought into the club and what's best for the club to have the opinion that if he wants to go then its best he does, my loyalties are to the club not benteke.

You see if he wants to stay and be committed to the club for the next season then that's what I want more than anything but it doesn't look that way, he has had his head turned (helped by a word removed of an agent), he wants to go to another club , spurts FFs, and he has made it clear. I only want those committed to the club. Benteke isnt

McGrath was world class.

I'd rather have Benteke up front wanting to move on but giving 100% and banging goals in, than risking a new striker.

I have no problem if we do have to replace him, but I would prefer to keep him knowing what he is capable of.

Pretty sure Lambert thinks the same. As long as he does his job for the season, we would have plenty of time to either scout a replacement or to blood Helenius in ready for 14/15.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â