Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

He appears to be trying too hard to impress the management, team mates and fans - what I do like is his workrate, pace and willingness to take players on. He's still learning the language, the club and the league but doesn't look like he'll never work out in the Prem.

His shooting will improve too!!!!

That's what I think. He's doing his best but probably just trying too hard to live up to his nickname.

He appears to be trying too hard to impress the management, team mates and fans - what I do like is his workrate, pace and willingness to take players on. He's still learning the language, the club and the league but doesn't look like he'll never work out in the Prem.

His shooting will improve too!!!!

That's what I think. He's doing his best but probably just trying too hard to live up to his nickname.

Me too. He has the potential to be really good. We wont see the best of him until later the season.

He is still dire. That shot when he had when bacuna and benteke were screaming for it just proves what i have been saying about this guy having absoloutly nothing between the ears.

It doesn't prove anything. You just made that assumption and you're going to sit on it. You've turned him into a cartoon character in your head. 

There's a million other ways to explain him shooting. Nerves, eagerness to please. And the fact he's scored screamers in the past. 

It was a bad decision—awful—but they happen. He's done some good things recently. 

Edited by praisedmambo

He is still dire. That shot when he had when bacuna and benteke were screaming for it just proves what i have been saying about this guy having absoloutly nothing between the ears.

It doesn't prove anything. You just made that assumption and you're going to sit on it. You've turned him into a cartoon character in your head.

There's a million other ways to explain him shooting. Nerves, eagerness to please. And the fact he's scored screamers in the past.

It was a bad decision—awful—but they happen. He's done some good things recently.

Tbh in a funny way, if he came good (big if) i think i would probably resent the fact that he turned out good, so yes maybe i have turned him into a cartoon character in my head but its hard not too when his shots are so comical, me and my dad watch every week and play 'guess the minute of tonev's first woefull strike'

I just think everyone is a bit poncey on here when it comes to players getting criticism that they deserve, and pull out the 'oh he's only a youngster, he's learning' card' - tonev is not a kid in football terms.. He's 22?

Tbh in a funny way, if he came good (big if) i think i would probably resent the fact that he turned out good, so yes maybe i have turned him into a cartoon character in my head but its hard not too when his shots are so comical, me and my dad watch every week and play 'guess the minute of tonev's first woefull strike'

I just think everyone is a bit poncey on here when it comes to players getting criticism that they deserve, and pull out the 'oh he's only a youngster, he's learning' card' - tonev is not a kid in football terms.. He's 22?

Just think everything you say is ridiculous. So you think he is rubbish, want him to be rubbish and that's that. Very strange. But whatever and when the hell did 22 become old in football. So a new league and new language is something he should adapt to in a week in your world? I know exactly what kind of villa fan you are, I've sat next to a few. Moaners, constant moaners.

Edited by villan_007

Just think everything you say is ridiculous. So you think he is rubbish, want him to be rubbish and that's that. Very strange. But whatever and when the hell did 22 become old in football. So a new league and new language is something he should adapt to in a week in your world? I know exactly what kind of villa fan you are, I've sat next to a few. Moaners, constant moaners.

It's a cliche of football support the type of person who justifies all their negativity with 'criticism they deserve', 'I pay my money'. It's like football for some is a place to vent frustration totally unrelated to football.

Because it seems you're not after Villa doing well, but more you just want some arena where you get a some targets to moan at. 

It's not poncy supporting this young Bulgarian, who at 22 has come into a league with global media attention, top-level pressure, and thinking it's reasonable to allow him more than a few games to settle. That's sensible not poncy. You've shown your colours with your choice of words. 

Edited by praisedmambo

"Me and my dad watch every week and play 'guess the minute of tonev's first woefull strike' "

You and your Dad sound like a barrel of fun

• Like 1

I don't mind a player having a go from a distance if there's a) no other option available and b ) it's on target. The frustrating thing about Tonev's shot yesterday was that he had options either side of him, and Benteke was in acres of space and would probably have buried it from where he was. It's funny how he tried to be the hero in that situation when he would have been if he'd have just passed to Benteke (assuming he scored), because that was a great block to win the ball in the first place. That said though, from what I saw from the first half, that was really the only thing that he really did that was terrible. Apart from that, he seems to be settling a bit more and his games are getting better. He has some very useful attributes, it's just a matter of game time to iron the creases.

Edited by JoshVilla

One thing that seems to be hard to comprehend for some people here is how high level premier league really is. I am serious, the difference is monumental when it comes to many other leagues in Europe. That doesn`t mean that a player has to bang in 20 goals to be worthy, but to adapt to that kind of level after such a short period is not common. I am not saying this as a defense and that he will come good, but it`s important to remind yourself off that, specially in cases like these.

I'd also tell him to keep on shooting. I would also tell him to keep his head up and to spot your teammates, but keep shooting.

If you tell him not to do something, it's going to make him hesitate as it's what is natural to him. He's started, what, 3 games? Give him a moment.

Just like his shooting, he's a boom or bust type of a player overall. My money's heavily on bust, but we'll see.

And I'm not a moaner, he's the only one of our signings this summer that I don't think will make it.

Edited by AVTuco

Don't think Tonev is as bad as some people think. He's cutting down on his shooting and passing/crossing more now. Only a few games ago at Norwich, he shot everytime he touched the ball, now he has cut down. The goal nets must be huge in the Polish league.

To those slating him at least you have given him a good 3 games before slating him. He should be fully up to speed now!

I very much dislike it when people write off players and I'm not writing off Tonev. I think it's different with him because rather than criticising him because he's poor without giving him a chance, people are criticising him because he inexplicably wastes SO many opportunities by blasting it in to Row Z when he really, REALLY shouldn't. It's not a 'quality' thing, it's a greed and 'why the **** did you do that??' thing.

To those slating him at least you have given him a good 3 games before slating him. He should be fully up to speed now!

I very much dislike it when people write off players and I'm not writing off Tonev. I think it's different with him because rather than criticising him because he's poor without giving him a chance, people are criticising him because he inexplicably wastes SO many opportunities by blasting it in to Row Z when he really, REALLY shouldn't. It's not a 'quality' thing, it's a greed and 'why the **** did you do that??' thing.

So? (And I'm really sorry to repeat myself) He has played 3 games!

Judgements on players is difficult enough after a season, to hear fans moaning about a player so early in his career is cringeworthy.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â