Gardening

Stevo985

Going hard for the things that are most expensive in the store this year. Celeriac, turnips, parsnips, melon in the greenhouse, beef tomatoes, outside tomatoes, celery, summer carrots of all colours, spring onions in clumps, red onions, shallots, garlic of 5 types (softneck and hardneck), early and late potatoes from my own from last year, three types of beet, chard, and sweetcorn.

Oh and more exotic stuff in the greenhouse. Trying hard for the aubergine but they're so fuzzy about everything and get greenfly like no tomorrow.

We're still eating the spuds, parsnip, carrots, leek and celeriac from last year. Have stored so well in a massive old clay pot that I got at a local tip and made an insulated lid for in the garden. Feels like I'm going a bit overboard with the grow your own bit but I think this year's project will be chickens for eggs and fertiliser.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Front "garden" getting relaid as all the old tarmac footpath and concrete slabs were well past it. There will be more room for chairs and pots, but still a patch to grow stuff in. Shame to basically kill all the plants that were growing there and the little mining bee holes, though I've tried to save as many plants as possible, or taken cuttings to hopefully produce replacements. Anyway, WIP.

IMG_20240507_150752_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Have been trying to sort out a scale infestation on the olive tree we have indoors for a while now and while spraying it today with my neem oil solution I noticed white cottony fluff in a few places and apparently I've also got a mealybug infestation at the same time. It's about 6' tall so pretty heavy pot but I've managed to drag it into the shower and given it a proper hose down and every now and then go in and keep hand picking the scales off. I perhaps should have done this as soon as I'd noticed them a few months back. Although the Kaffir Lime and the mini orange thingy seem to be better now.

For years me and MrsVM only had a load of cacti and succulents indoors except for the odd thing I've grown from food waste like my avocado and my mango etc and a bunch of dracaenas I've been taking cuttings off for years, but a few years ago we got some more fruit plants and since then it's been infestations galore. Got the fungus gnats under control last year (cheers for the gravel tip blandy) so hopefully I'm catching them early enough this time round. More trouble than we anticipated for sure

Loving the small space container gardening there Bicks. That's what got me into the whole green fingers malarkey.

Tried sprouting some cherries and peach pips in the fridge over the winter and having inspected them all now all I managed to do was to grow a few tubs of mould. :D

• Like 2

If I could I'd post some pictures from a few weeks ago, but I can't for the life of me compress the images to get under 0.29mb. 

Summer carrots sown today, covered for a few weeks to avoid carrot fly. Squash, pumpkin and cucumber all planted out in the garden and greenhouse respectively today. Hoping for some rain tbh, it's getting very dry here in Hampshire. Melons jamming in the window getting ready to go to the greenhouse tomorrow.

Harvesting and eating salads every day, lovely with some fresh veg again.

• Like 3

Had the bank holiday weekend down the allotment helping the missus get things straight after the crap weather over winter/spring. Weeding, barking the paths, fire bin on the go. Looks loads better and she's got to planting crop now.

55 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

If I could I'd post some pictures from a few weeks ago, but I can't for the life of me compress the images to get under 0.29mb.

I find uploading to Imgur and then just pasting the link in here is less faff than trying to attach to posts directly on vt

• Like 1

We go for the potted plants and wild flower approach, indoors we also have plenty of stuff but outdoors looks nice in the warmer climes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Got fruit trees, berries or similar and mow the lawn?

Add the cut grass around the circumference of the trees. It'll kill the weeds and act as a moisture retentive layer for when the likely drought comes later in the summer. Make sure that the stem isn't covered, so leave about 1 cm around it. It does wonders for many of my perennials.

• 2 months later...

We have a very young Oak Tree in our garden. About 3 years old, about just over waist hight. 

It's currently growing Acorns. 

I thought they didn't grow acorns till they were about 30 years old or so 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

We have a very young Oak Tree in our garden. About 3 years old, about just over waist hight. 

It's currently growing Acorns. 

I thought they didn't grow acorns till they were about 30 years old or so 

They have acorns pretty much straight away but the early ones can’t get you pregnant.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I know that some people just buy jam, when all they’ve actually got to do is buy some fruit trees, grow them to maturity, prep the fruit, bring it to a rolling boil, add some sugar, sterilise some jars, and boom! Your own jam.

Now, to grow some wheat so I can make some toast.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Looks great @chrisp65.

Anything else other than plums and apples?

Been a bit of a quiet year, had other stuff on, so it’s mostly been stuff that can fend for itself. A handful of onions, a little bit of celery, some strawberries and we’ve just had the first handful of toms today.

Sort of been concentrating on getting good clear water in the ponds without using any sort of chemicals or electric filters and fingers crossed we appear to have cracked it. They’ve both had good clear water for a couple of months now.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â