I have a confession to make.....

Houlston

I meant in my town. I grew up in Lichfield, we didn't have one as far as I was aware.

Well, I'm guessing that Woodbridge Hospital (now somewhat euphemistically called the Institute of Mental Health) is further away from my home than your home is from your nearest psychiatric hospital. Nevertheless, it (Woodbridge) is talked about all the time.

Not trying to make a point, just trivia.

Edited by legov

I meant in my town. I grew up in Lichfield, we didn't have one as far as I was aware.

Well, I'm guessing that Woodbridge Hospital (now somewhat euphemistically called the Institute of Mental Health) is further away from my home than your home is from your nearest psychiatric hospital. Nevertheless, it (Woodbridge) is talked about all the time.

Not trying to make a point, just trivia.

You must have been a smart kid. If I were you I'd probably be in Canberra right now wondering  they had a Woodbridge.

(Good Anglo name, BTW. God bless the empire...) 

• Like 1

While at secondary school i confided in one of my best friends that i didn't believe in God. This was a school that regularly had priests taking the religion class so you get the idea that if something like that had become common knowledge within the school it would have been referred to as a scandal.

The person who i confided in unbeknown to me had let it slip to other pupils and soon enough it got to the teachers. One morning in assembly the whole school was addressed by the headmaster stating that they had heard one of their pupils didn't believe in God and if that person didn't believe in god then he/she was a beast. I shit you not. That was the exact wording used.

Most of the pupils (my class) who knew who this 'beast' was kept looking at me digging each other in the ribs and sniggering. Now whether our yearly tutor noted this in the assembly or someone had told him i'm not sure but after assembly and in our first class of the day our yearly tutor asked everyone in our class, but me, did they know who this beast was that didn't believe in God. No-one pointed the finger but it was made abundantly clear who they suspected and made me cringe as much as they could.

From that day onward in secondary school i was generally singled out by several different priests in religion class whenever a difficult question had to be answered. Questions like 'what hymn would you sing in this particular situation and i had got so pissed off with it that i always answered by quoting whatever was number one in the music charts at that time to hysterical laughter by my classmates but more often than not i paid for it through a leather belt to the hand or a less patient priest would simply use me as target practice with a blackboard duster.

Have hated my school and religion ever since although i have been invited to a school reunion in October which is f**king going to be payback time as several of my school teachers are going to be there. 

Edited by Morpheus
  • Like 1

Here's one that I suspect may be very widespread - do you have a psychiatric hospital (oldspeak: lunatic asylum) anywhere near you?

And if you do, did you think when you were young that its (local) name was generic for all such establishments?

When I was a kid, I used to hear adults say things like "I'm going crazy... I'll end up in Rubery!" (For the non Brummies, Rubery is the district where said 'looney bin' was located).

I assumed that every city would have a mental hospital called "Rubery".

Wasn't that one called Hollymoor or were they seperate hospitals? Hollymoor is the one I used to hear a lot of when I was a kid.

Morpheus, you have the last laugh over them. Religion is silly and imo I think you should be proud of yourself for the fact that you were able to think more independently than the others at such a tender age.

You need to get better friends though :)

Edited by legov

Morpheus, you have the last laugh over them. Religion is silly and imo I think you should be proud of yourself for the fact that you were able to think more independently than the others at such a tender age.

I suppose this should really be in the religion thread but i had so many questions 'legov' concerning the Catholic Religion and i did ask them without ever getting a satisfactory answer which left me so frustrated. Something like 'who made the universe sir?' Answer from the religion teacher or Priest, 'God did.' 'Well then sir, who made God?' Answer, 'he was always there!'

Agree with your advice on the friends issue who i will see again for the first time since school. Going to be interesting.

• Like 1

I once heard Janis Joplin talking about her schooldays. She had a miserable time, as an unattractive, nerdy kid who got bullied a lot. 

Shortly after she made it as a rock star, she went back for a school reunion, rather hoping that her classmates (and teachers) might acknowledge that she'd made her way in the world rather well.

They all just cut her dead, and she ended up walking out in tears. 

People can be shits. If you didn't like it, don't go back. 

I dread the thought of a school reunion. It'll be so **** middle class and full of responsible parents and accountants. Shit, I look at some people now walking through town all suited and booted and think to myself 'I saw you shit in a car park'.

Luckily I doubt I'll be invited because they bloody hated me*.

*Unless I turn out somewhat successful then I'm sure they'll change their tune. Arseholes.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

I suppose this should really be in the religion thread but i had so many questions 'legov' concerning the Catholic Religion and i did ask them without ever getting a satisfactory answer which left me so frustrated. Something like 'who made the universe sir?' Answer from the religion teacher or Priest, 'God did.' 'Well then sir, who made God?' Answer, 'he was always there!'

Yes, you were frustrated, but personally I think you should be proud of yourself that at least you were inquisitive enough, more so than your fellow classmates.

As an aside, I'd wager that given how long ago that happened, a lot of your former schoolmates are probably now atheists/agnostics as well - they've had a long time to think about that question.

• Like 1

I dread the thought of a school reunion. It'll be so **** middle class and full of responsible parents and accountants. Shit, I look at some people now walking through town all suited and booted and think to myself 'I saw you shit in a car park'.

Luckily I doubt I'll be invited because they bloody hated me*.

*Unless I turn out somewhat successful then I'm sure they'll change their tune. Arseholes.

But you have turned out to be successful CED. You are one of the most lauded posters on VT. You can't be more successful than that.  :)

• Like 1

Mods: move this to the relationship advice thread if appropriate.

Do you think it's advisable to tell the assorted ladies I may be going out with from time to time that, with over 20 thousand posts, I'm one of the more respected posters on VT?

• Like 1

Do you think it's advisable to tell the assorted ladies I may be going out with from time to time that, with over 20 thousand posts, I'm one of the more respected posters on VT?

Yes.

Yes.

No. 

Yes.

No.

Maybe.