Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

He can't be that good. If Utd spent a fortune on Nick Powell who's a few years younger and aren't taking a punt on this guy for a fraction of the price there's probably good reason. If his best option is Wolves in L1 - he can't be all that.

Yep because it's just pure luck that any other team in the world sign players, every team just sits and waits to see if united looked at them and if they didn't then wooo hooo the coast is clear sign them. What a ridiculous statement.

Agreed John and although i've never seen Murphy play by all reports he is potentially better than Westwood. Maybe we're having to wait on shifting another out before bringing someone else in?

In the world of Morpheus and his sell to by policy musical then that could be the case. ;)

Edited by villan_007

The players that have left didn't really offer us much in playing time if we look at the likes of Dunne, Marshall, Dawkins. Only Holman and Lichaj were part of first team set up last season. If Ireland leaves, he didn't even feature in the latter part, Hutton leaves same, Bent leaves his replacement is Helenius. If you think Given, Ireland, Bent and Hutton probably command around 200k, now I'm not brilliant at Maths, but between them they played how many games, I'd say 20 max including cup games.

Too true, it's called Math

Sorry

I thought it was Math if you're American and Maths if you're British/Colonial?? (Being short for Mathematics an' all). Or am I missing some other point?

Yeah, it is maths. Banned from H&V has been whacked over the head with a baseball bat. 

Also, there is no need for the capitalisation.  ;)

No, it's Math - always has been and always will be.

It's either Math or Mathematics, Maths is just a bastardised version of the two

You're wrong. It is in the dictionary. Done. 

Honestly think we are not interested in Murphy, due to the return of Gary Gardner IMO of course. Also Crewe management team will say he is better to drive his price up and get more interested parties.

This. We need to give Gardner a chance in CM. He could be better than Murphy as it stands anyway. No point spending money on another CM until we've given some of these guys a good crack at it. We need an attacking midfielder/second striker as a priority anyway.

"Agreed John and although i've never seen Murphy play by all reports he is potentially better than Westwood. Maybe we're having to wait on shifting another out before bringing someone else in?" I would like to think we could run to a £1m fee without needing to wait to shift another one out Morpheus but it did cross my mind as well for a moment and I would hate to think we might miss out on a player for that reason after all why should the plug be pulled so soon. It is not as if this potential signing would be in the Benteke price range for example.

• Like 1

I'll try to post some more detailed stuff later tonight or this week but just as it's a lazy afternoon I thought I'd mention one player I keep coming back to with this "#10 Striker" and "more goals from outside the box" idea.... That's Alain Traore of FC Lorient.

Obligatory youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCts9_nzO_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1g0xpdWl_k

He's had some long injuries this past season but when he did play he played really well. 6 goals and 5 assists in 14 games. Averaging 5th most shots taken and 21st most key passes made per game in Ligue 1. Capable of the behind the striker role or as a forward he has a really true left foot strike. Reports are he was going to move to Arsenal in January for around £5m despite being at Lorient for only 6 months but was cancelled when he went down with injury.

• Like 1

I'll try to post some more detailed stuff later tonight or this week but just as it's a lazy afternoon I thought I'd mention one player I keep coming back to with this "#10 Striker" and "more goals from outside the box" idea.... That's Alain Traore of FC Lorient.

Obligatory youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCts9_nzO_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1g0xpdWl_k

He's had some long injuries this past season but when he did play he played really well. 6 goals and 5 assists in 14 games. Averaging 5th most shots taken and 21st most key passes made per game in Ligue 1. Capable of the behind the striker role or as a forward he has a really true left foot strike. Reports are he was going to move to Arsenal in January for around £5m despite being at Lorient for only 6 months but was cancelled when he went down with injury.

The free kick in that video is very very special, Carlosesque

Whilst we have had a good couple of weeks so far with our purchases and with some of the people we have let go, I don't want us to miss out on obvious/easy signings for us just because we have to clear out the rest of our crap. If we miss out on certain people because of it, it will make the work we have done already pointless. I think we should be doing all we can now to land the players that Lambert wants right now, and then just get rid of the rest of our crap later on...

I hope we do not mess this window up. We are in a good position at the moment...

Whilst we have had a good couple of weeks so far with our purchases and with some of the people we have let go, I don't want us to miss out on obvious/easy signings for us just because we have to clear out the rest of our crap. If we miss out on certain people because of it, it will make the work we have done already pointless. I think we should be doing all we can now to land the players that Lambert wants right now, and then just get rid of the rest of our crap later on...

I hope we do not mess this window up. We are in a good position at the moment...

Agree, but I get the impression that RL feels he got his fingers burnt in this way with MON, who ended up with a heap of expensive non-players on the books and seemed to struggle to make sales even more than he struggled to make purchases (three consecutive 6th places though, before anyone says anything :))

It is a slight worry because the Bent deal in particular has the smell of one that will run late into the summer.

If we want to get anywhere near what he is worth we are going to have to wait it out which may well come at the cost of some of our primary targets.

Latest article on OS has Jed Steer joining on the 1st July on a free 

Paul Lambert believes the increased competition for places brought about by his early acquisitions in the transfer window will contribute to more consistent and stronger performances by Villa next season.

The Villa manager has strengthened his defensive options for the forthcoming season with new signings Jores Okore from Danish Superliga side Nordsjaelland and Antonio Luna from Sevilla.

He will also add Norwich City goalkeeper Jed Steer, 20, who becomes a free agent on July 1, to a firmament of four including Brad Guzan, Shay Given and Benji Siegrist.

In midfield Aleksander Tonev and Leandro Bacuna have arrived from Lech Poznan in Poland and Dutch Eredivisie club Groningen respectively, while 6ft 5in Danish international striker Nicklas Helenius expressed his desire to be part of Lambert's young, hungry and emerging team having completed a move from Aalborg BK.

"Having genuine competition for places is really healthy and, in fact, vital for any club that aspires to bigger and better things," Lambert said.

"For instance, Antonio Luna has come in and he will augment and enhance the defence and give us some more options there.

"He's played about 70 games in Spain and we all know the standard of football in La Liga.

"We know that defensively we need to improve from last season, overall as a team, so that's good.

"Bringing in Jed will also add to the goalkeeping department and helps with everyone pushing one another, learning from one another and making everyone better and wanting to improve.

"You want competition for places throughout the team, which is something we didn't have last season."

Christian Benteke, Ashley Westwood, Jordan Bowery and Joe Bennett all arrived within the final 72 hours of last summer's transfer window but Lambert's six signings so far will be able to integrate themselves into the squad from the beginning of pre-season on July 1.

"It's good that those guys will be able to settle in straight away and hit the ground running, that should help," Lambert added.

"We have a good pre-season programme mapped out with a training camp and some games in Germany, several more back here fairly locally as well as a game in Dublin before we play Malaga on the eve of the new season.

"Everybody's looking forward to it, not least our fans who were terrific and steadfast in their support last season and it will be great to give them something to shout about when the new campaign gets under way."

"Agreed John and although i've never seen Murphy play by all reports he is potentially better than Westwood. Maybe we're having to wait on shifting another out before bringing someone else in?" I would like to think we could run to a £1m fee without needing to wait to shift another one out Morpheus but it did cross my mind as well for a moment and I would hate to think we might miss out on a player for that reason after all why should the plug be pulled so soon. It is not as if this potential signing would be in the Benteke price range for example.

Yeah John one would have hoped that if we are actually interested in Murphy then the fee wouldn't have been much of a problem. I'd actually be very surprised if he did sign for Wolves as there must be better teams looking at him. Maybe we're looking to shift Bannan first? Very interested to see how this pans out? 

Jed steer official. Wow My old man says was soit on. New reliable itk!

Given on his way maybe?

well seeing as we have a strict sell to buy policy i'd say that we'll hear of given's transfer out before we sign him up,