Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

its simple really. We left a few players go Dunne Lichaj Holman etc and we replaced them with our five signings. For Lambo to sign a few more.. a few more have to leave. Bent Ireland Given.

Once they go. A back up keeper.. a number 10.. and possibly another CB will come in.

3 in 3 out.

Yes and also, the key difference between those who have gone and those who have yet to go is that the ones who are gone were guaranteed to go (contracts) so we could buy in the meantime, safe in the knowledge we wouldn't be lumbered with 2 players taking up 1 squad slot. Whereas this lot aren't guaranteed sales and also their wages are such that we can't risk mortgaging the club again.

Exactly. I think our best signing (s) are still to come. I think there will be another 'Benteke' style signing around the 7-8 million mark. Will be on relatively low wages and i think its this 'striker' number 10 player.

Popov looks to be the favourite. Definate interest there and he himself said has said his club will want a high fee for him.

Popov however could be 2nd or 3rd on Lambo's hitlist.

Siegrist is highly rated though isn't he? Not seen him play personally.

We could always chance it and if sh*t hits the fan bring back Gabor Kiraly and his crazy trousers for a few months ;)

1318ded.jpg

Edited by bannedfromHandV

Siegrist is highly rated though isn't he? Not seen him play personally.

We could always chance it and if sh*t hits the fan bring back Gabor Kiraly and his crazy trousers for a few months ;)

I rate him, but then again i rate Derrick Williams and he's just gone to Bristol City. Hard to make the grade now than it has been it previous years. Siegrist is still young for a goalkeeper but is quite old considering he's never had a first team match for any team (Lower Divisions i mean ). I'd be happy to put him backup but i can't see Lambert doing that... 

Relying on someone who has never played a single senior game to be your first goalkeeping sub would be negligent in the extreme. All it would take is one bad tackle on Guzan and we'd be right in the sh*t. The point is, you have to assume you'll be using your sub at some point, so the question is not whether you're happy with him on the bench. The question is whether you'd be happy to have him in goal. If the ansewer is 'no' then you must put someone else on the bench.

unless I've missed something, Given hasn't actually left yet

Looking to move by all accounts so as good as gone. It'd be stupid of PL to assume he'll still be here and not plan a replacement.

yep, but just meant it's not a position we need to worry about cover until such time as Given leaves. I'm sure there are plans in hand but we're tending to only hear about signings when they are close to being done.

Relying on someone who has never played a single senior game to be your first goalkeeping sub would be negligent in the extreme. All it would take is one bad tackle on Guzan and we'd be right in the sh*t. The point is, you have to assume you'll be using your sub at some point, so the question is not whether you're happy with him on the bench. The question is whether you'd be happy to have him in goal. If the ansewer is 'no' then you must put someone else on the bench.

and yet we appear to be  lining up Jed Steer as Given's replacement  if the rumours are true don't we ? or do you think we will sign 2 keepers ?

In an Ideal world which exists solely between my ears I can see 6 more out:

Bannan, Bent, Delphouneso, Given, Hutton, Ireland

Assuming this all happens I'd love to see a GK, RB and a CB all come in before the season starts. If we managed to get a "Number 10" in on top of that It would be the cherry on top of a good summer imo. 

I also can see Lambert offering to loan out Stevens, Carruthers, Steiber, Donacien, Siegrist, Burke, Drennan into "Mens Football" to see what they're made of.

Looking at the way this is panning out we are exercising yet another sell to buy policy which confirms to me that Lerner is not going to invest what is needed to get us where we need to be anytime soon.

Would love to see Cheikhou Kouyate of Anderlect..He can play central defensive and central defensive midfielder, fits into what Lambert is doing perfectly!!

Not heard of him only thing that would worry me is the DMC part, having way to much competiton and holding each other back, competition for places is brilliant but when you have to many you start to rotate a lot and teams need to gel and feel comfortable with each other.

Looking at the way this is panning out we are exercising yet another sell to buy policy which confirms to me that Lerner is not going to invest what is needed to get us where we need to be anytime soon.

I agree with that policy, why would you want to have a huge squad of players with 5/6 who won't get a look and soak up wages? We move them on have a slim line squad and use the wages and funds to develop further, it's not a one in one out kinda system we brought players in that PL knew he needed and then shipped out those who didnt fit the ethos he is trying to establish, it makes sense to me.

I think it's more of a get people off the wage bill before adding more to it.

Which is basically the same thing.

It's not really. I think it's clear that Lerner is willing to invest it's just that the wage bill is still a problem.

its simple really. We left a few players go Dunne Lichaj Holman etc and we replaced them with our five signings. For Lambo to sign a few more.. a few more have to leave. Bent Ireland Given.

Once they go. A back up keeper.. a number 10.. and possibly another CB will come in.

3 in 3 out.

I can't see us bringing in another CB.

Vlaar, Okore, Baker & Clark is easily enough in numbers. It's not as much experience or proven quality as many of us would like, but I can't see us bringing in a 5th CB, personally!

A back-up keeper, a number 10 and possibly a backup RB if Lambert doesn't fancy Herd or Bacuna there.

Possibly another centre mid too, though we're looking heavy in numbers there too!