Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Honestly, I think Cahill is hugely overrated, he always seems to be making mistakes and giving away goals.

agree dont think he is brilliant but is a hell of a lot better than guys who repalced him. Davies, Knight, Collins, Cuellar

It's all relative. He was too good for us to let go of at the time, even allowing for the decent fee we got for what was a reserve player. He got the short end of the stick when we signed Knight to cover a crocked Martin Laursen only for Laursen to recover, giving Cahill's place to Knight. With that said, he doesn't appear to be quite good enough for Chelsea. Horses for courses.

MIlner **** us over after we saved him from his Newcastle hell. we made him player he was then he **** off soon as first bid came in. fact he wouldnt talk about when was asked by journalists that summer proved he didnt respect us. dont mind players leaving if they are honest about it.

good player but not as great as people make out

Eh? He didn't really **** us over. He had a chance to try prove himself in a title challenging team. Its an opportunity far too good to turn down for any ambitious footballer. He has a premier league winners medal to prove it too. The only people who **** us over was our board taking Ireland as part of the deal.

As for not talking to journalists... I'd rather he didn't talk than say "I want to leave asap".... He obviously does respect villa. His last game in a Villa shirt proved that. Also the lack of celebration when scoring against us.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

It wasnt poor judgement at the time, it was poor judgement looking back.  We are not privy to all the facts of what happened there.

As a member of this forum at the time I can tell you it wasn't hindsight. People were very very angry that we were jettisoning a clear talent to make way for an unwanted lumbering lump. We knew it was poor judgement before it happened. It didn't help their cause that he had kind of endeared himself to us with 'that goal'.
  • Like 1

anyhoo.. with Bent almost gone.. unfortunately on loan.. will we bring in someone.. im guessing a 2-3 million player on low wages? that young Algerian we were linked with?

anyhoo.. with Bent almost gone.. unfortunately on loan.. will we bring in someone.. im guessing a 2-3 million player on low wages? that young Algerian we were linked with?

Bent's year worth of wages + a £2m loan fee would easily pay for his transfer fee and the entirety of a 3-year contract on £20k a week, with about £1m or so change left over.

Mental when you think about things in perspective.

We sold him the same summer we bought Davies didn't we? That turned out to be spectacularly poor judgement at the time.

Cahill was sold in January IIRC.

yeah think was january after we got Davies adn Knight  :bang:

People were very very angry that we were jettisoning a clear talent to make way for an unwanted lumbering lump.

Wash your mouth out! (or fingers out or whatever). Our current captain has a long way to go before he's as good as Sir Zatiyah Beckenbauer Stam Knight of the Round table.

Lambert to decide over next two weeks whether to strengthen squad.

I reckon with Bent on his way out, we'll need to see another departure - perhaps Hutton, and then we'll be back in for an attacking mid.

Cahill was not good enough to play regular football for us and he wanted to play regular football.

I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision but the player wanted to be a regular starter and the manager didn't feel he was good enough to do that.

Lets not forget he went to Bolton.