Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

With Heskey you at least know you're getting a player that will give everything for the team, and he suited MON's tactics. So I thought it was a signing that would improve the squad rather then first team, and given Carew's injury problems at the time made sense! Ireland was NEVER going to be a replacement for Milner that was clear to me! Milner was the heartbeat of the team, with him we could have challenge for a champions league place, without him we were lost! Given was a quality keeper still is, if it wasn't for Guzans rise he would still be our no one.  Zog as a replacement for both Young and Downing well that was never going to happen!

Agree with most of that apart from Given, he probably was just about worth the £5mill we paid..just. but the length of contract and salary was a big mistake on our part, he had one season maybe 2 best at top level and it showed in the Euros and especially the Bradford game that he is way past his best now

Given is still a really good shot stopper. The problem with him, as was always going to be the case when he joined, is that he can't marshal a defence and he's poor coming off his line. That's not as big an issue if you've got a solid, reliable defence in front of you, but he didn't have that here. I think even if we had a 25 year old Given he'd have looked past it with us

I doubt and really hope we haven't set some arbitrary age limit on players we can sign.

I get it if we don't wan't to sign someone who's 32 and on high wages, but 24? That's just silly

Well Vlaar and Guzan are over 24 so that doesn't exist, but it does appear the policy is to 'mainly' buy youngsters, and it would still be a great acheivement to win something with that apparant policy.

A 17 yr old Belgian debutant at that

I'm starting to believe that these Belgian's all have been test tube babies born from the cell of a perfect footballer made in some secret Belgian laboratory.

Oh here we go...imminent s***storm ahead

I back Lambert. His choice, I believe in it.

This. Unless the player in question becomes James Milner. 

great player,  just what we need.

Oh here we go...imminent s***storm ahead

I back Lambert. His choice, I believe in it.

This. Unless the player in question becomes James Milner.

great player, just what we need.
Yeah I agree, he's exactly what we need Edited by Biskitt