Margaret Thatcher dies of a stroke.

Milfner

Au contraire, Snowy, we do have an idea of the counterfactual.

A counterfactual price analysis of British electricity privatisation

Interesting find. I'll have a read of it in a bit, Peter, but something I'd say immediately is that piece of work was done in 2000 and only on the electricity market.

It was interesting.

I'd be interested to see an updated appraisal as of now and I do wonder whether one can split apart analysis of gas and electricity in that way (for one, the effect of gas prices upon electricity prices with the increase in electricity generation from gas surely means that you have to look at privatization and deregulation in both markets?).

It occurs to me that a large amount of people celebrating her death weren't even around at the time.

Not that you could possibly justify the celebration of another human's death in any case, but I just found that funny.

EDIT: And also those heralding the needs of the many. For an example, when you get married, have kids; you become less about supporting the many. All you want is the best for your kids specifically. The idea of left wing politics is a young persons game.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

Thatcher as has been pointed out earlier was not involved in the botched rail sell off. Something Labour failed to reverse, despite making it policy.

It's difficult to argue, surely, that rail privatization didn't occur because of the default position (regarding privatization) that Tory party had moved to over the time of her premiership?

But its documented she thought it was not possible. So she throttled the railways with under investment, luckily Sir Peter Parker was a canny operator.

The reality is that denationalising the railways was not a bad idea, it was just done in the most clueless way.

Anyone who allows Richard Beardie in charge of anything needs locking up...

Maggie was before my time, but I have to say, the passion she evokes on both sides of the fence is a bit of a throwback. There seems to be more anger aimed towards a politician whose been out of office for two decades than there is aimed towards the current government, a government who make ol' Thatch look a bit of a lefty on some issues.

Strange, eh?

I can't imagine I'll be spitting and cursing at the mention of Cameron's name in 20 years time, despite what the Tories are doing to us now. Or, having grown up under Labour, will I feel as passionate about Blair.

Bit worrying, I suppose.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

It occurs to me that a large amount of people celebrating her death weren't even around at the time.

Not that you could possibly justify the celebration of another human's death in any case, but I just found that funny.

Same as all the ''students '' protesting over student fee's who weren't students or even knew what they were protesting over.I'm sure there are plenty with legitimate cause for celebration but certainly seems to be some just wanting to cause some trouble for the sake of it.

But its documented she thought it was not possible.

Why was that?

Because it was going to be more difficult than the others, because she thought it politically too hot or because she thought it the wrong thing to do economically?

Will people celebrate when other people responsible for Britain’s state die?

If you're talking about the Gordon Browns & Fred Goodwins of this world then yes, I'm all in

I am sure they will although I would hope that no future leader would destroy communites and ruin peoples lives like she did to warrant such a response. Having said that this current one is having a good go although he won't be in power for too much longer.

EDIT: And also those heralding the needs of the many. For an example, when you get married, have kids; you become less about supporting the many. All you want is the best for your kids specifically. The idea of left wing politics is a young persons game.

Utter drivel - only a very short sighted person thinks there is no connection between the two.  Whether you agree that left wing politics is a solution is one thing, but to suggest that only one type looks after your family is ignorance of the highest order.

• Like 4

What difference does it make whether people were alive when she destroyed the lives of millions ?

I didn't have to be alive when Hitler was around to form a view of what he was like.

Was about to post this.

How many people celebrate Hitler's death and were not around in the 1940's?

• Like 1

What difference does it make whether people were alive when she destroyed the lives of millions ?

I didn't have to be alive when Hitler was around to form a view of what he was like.

Was about to post this.

I think it's safe to say there's a slight difference.

Richard, I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of wishing death upon anyone else under any circumstances (or celebrating their death) but that needs to be taken to an extreme for it to work and I can fully understand why that isn't the case for a lot of people.

Drawing a comparison between Thatcher and Ellis, using the resonance of the latter's divisiveness amongst (some) people on this messageboard to downplay the importance of the relative effects of the former's policies and influence (whether real or perceived), strikes me as rather 'crass', tbh.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Nonsensical argument. Hitler didn't polarise opinion. Pretty hilarious you can compare the 2. Sure, both were political leaders, but one orchestrated mass genocide, one made some bold decisions that benefitted some and hurt others. 

Utter drivel - only a very short sighted person thinks there is no connection between the two.  Whether you agree that left wing politics is a solution is one thing, but to suggest that only one type looks after your family is ignorance of the highest order.

It was an example. But I do believe that left wing politics is a joke (not that I'm a right winger). The MPs aligned with the left are mostly closet tories and a large majority of radical left wingers spout drivel, yet I don't believe they believe it themselves.

I am sure they will although I would hope that no future leader would destroy communites and ruin peoples lives like she did to warrant such a response. Having said that this current one is having a good go although he won't be in power for too much longer.

You can also argue she helped thousands of people with her decisions, but do try to stay objective.

Same as all the ''students '' protesting over student fee's who weren't students or even knew what they were protesting over.I'm sure there are plenty with legitimate cause for celebration but certainly seems to be some just wanting to cause some trouble for the sake of it.

I went down to London for the last protest, covering it for the press. The students were a joke (and I'm a student). Most were just happy at being able to march for something or to get a cheap day out in London. The Palestine protesters were the only ones who actually seemed to know what they want. The people who organised it seemed to spearhead it as an attack on the current regime.

Who cares whether we pay 3 or 9 grand anyway, we're not going to be able to pay it back and it gets wiped out after 30 years either way. 

• Like 1

Was about to post this.

I think it's safe to say there's a slight difference.

Absolutely agree.  Comparing Thatcher to Hitler is utterly disgraceful especially in an attempt to justify a reaction.

Blair said something yesterday and I dont think I have ever agreed with him more ,  when you decide you divide.

Was about to post this.

I think they would have struggled to celebrate his death if they were not around in the 40s.

When electricity was privatised, the assets were sold at a small fraction of their value. 

Course no government since has sold anything below its value. What's that yellow shiny stuff again?

It really makes me laugh (not specifically aimed at you Peter) how people will stick with and defend one party whilst lamenting or hating the other no matter who is in charge or what their policies are.

Even in this small thread its noticeable that people have stuck to parties from probably before they could even vote yet each party is beyond different to what it was back then.

Obvious intelligent men arguing their case to the hilt with great knowledge and eloquence almost out of habit forgetting as to whether they really believe it or not. But hey anything not be called a lefty or tory boy.

Politics and class it really is all a load of bollocks.

Richard, I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of wishing death upon anyone else under any circumstances (or celebrating their death) but that needs to be taken to an extreme for it to work and I can fully understand why that isn't the case for a lot of people.

Drawing a comparison between Thatcher and Ellis, using the resonance of the latter's divisiveness amongst (some) people on this messageboard to downplay the importance of the relative effects of the former's policies and influence (whether real or perceived), strikes me as rather 'crass', tbh.

I was quite clear to say my reference was nothing to do with comparing the influence of the people involved in my comparison,  nothing to do with what they "did" or "didnt do".  My comparison was more to do with how I feel will be the reaction upon the demise of Doug Ellis and how I feel there will be a similar celebratory reaction. 

Surprised you did not realise that.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â