The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

On 07/08/2024 at 15:31, mjmooney said:

Always interesting to know what DAWs people are using. I started with Cubase, but didn't really get on with it. Switched to Reaper and never looked back. 

I started on Cubase (~15 years ago, maybe) but switched to Logic Pro X. I’d still consider myself a novice, despite using it to record for 5+ years now! I just don’t have the patience to sit and watch YouTube tutorials on mix and mastering. (Same as @Wezbid, young kids and work take up the time!)

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I just don’t have the patience to sit and watch YouTube tutorials on mix and mastering. (Same as @Wezbid, young kids and work take up the time!)

Seek out a cheap secondhand copy of this. It's the business. 

Screenshot_2024-08-14-11-45-05-33_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Fascinating interview with Ian Anderson about drummers

http://www.tullpress.com/mddec90.htm

"Strange things like that are quirky little habits, and everybody's got their own habits.

"For instance," Anderson continues, "Doane Perry has been measured as being a good 15 milliseconds ahead with his bass drum on a metronomic beat, whereas his snare drum tends to be sitting behind the beat, by the same 15 milliseconds. So Doane's drumming — because the bass drum is always edging a bit in front — has an urgency to it, similar to the one occasion that Phil Collins played drums with us. He sat right on the front of the beat, and you really felt all the time that you had to follow the drummer, which is alright. But there's an urgency, a very leaning-forward feel to it. Dave Mattacks — who we play with occasionally — has a style where his bass drum tends to sit very much on the beat, never in front. But Dave's snare is so laid back that unless the band is aware of this, tempos tend to fall behind. These are some of the subtle differences in the way people play.

"Barrie is not a metronomic drummer," Anderson adds, "and no offense intended. Instead, he thinks in terms of patterns, and he'll be thinking ahead quite a few bars when he's playing — about how he's going to improvise and embellish or develop a pattern. So he's playing less for the moment and more with a view towards an overall arrangement and a level of detail. He's a more intellectual sort of drummer, like maybe Bill Bruford was with Yes.

"When it comes down to pure technical things," Anderson continues without pause, "people are very different. And 15 milliseconds may not sound like a lifetime, but it is in drum terms. So if you have a drummer with a very laid-back approach on the snare drum, then everybody has to feel comfortable with that approach. And if you're playing with Phil Collins, you have to be aware that you've got to keep up with the guy, because he's not going to wait for you."

• Like 1

I don't know if this story is true but in view of the drummer who told me, I think it's got every chance. The guy who told me was a top B/ham drummer himself, who worked in Yardleys music shop (no longer going). One of his regular customers was a really top player ,who I won't name ,he is still about and played in a brilliant B/ham rock band that achieved quite a bit of success  - but not as much as they deserved. Apparently this guy auditioned for the job in Tull and was offered the job; on the strength of that , he bought a nice house for himsellf and wife;  so quite a financial commitment . He rehearsed for an up coming Tour only to be told by Anderson that he "didn't fit in' socially and was sacked before he had even started. I loved Tull's first LP (This Was) I think but always suspected Anderson to be touch on the arrogant side; he was good - but no Roland Kirk.

Edited by veloman
  • Like 1

Not sure if I ever posted this one. Has some cool guitar sounds --- Telecaster to the jangly max. I use this Sacred Cowards name sometimes, but not too often. I wanted to create a very open, airy but still bedroom-production sort of sound.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â