The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You tell me: 

Listen to It's Raining In Moscow by Mike Mooney on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/X7jRb

Listen to The Dealer by Mike Mooney on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/tzikF

Well, that changes the subject. What beautiful songs! I loved "It's Raining" and especially those syncopated parts the chorus. "New York City no one gives a damn." Am I hearing that right? Also loved the chord change. Nice. "The Dealer" is haunting. I thought it might be about the subject of mortality?

Oh, the Dan is great. I wonder if these songs were partly written because of the Dan, in the way a guitar can inspire?

5 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Well, that changes the subject. What beautiful songs! I loved "It's Raining" and especially those syncopated parts the chorus. "New York City no one gives a damn." Am I hearing that right? Also loved the chord change. Nice. "The Dealer" is haunting. I thought it might be about the subject of mortality?

Oh, the Dan is great. I wonder if these songs were partly written because of the Dan, in the way a guitar can inspire?

Yes and no. I wrote 'Raining' back in the 80s for my band Warp Factor Five. In my head I imagined it with a Byrds sound - cryptic Dylan/Gene Clark lyrics, harmonies, jangly 12. Only problem is, the other guys couldn't sing harmony and we didn't have a 12 string! I did what I could with a chorus pedal, but it ended up piano-led, with a sort of Elvis Costello vibe (I also cut out two of the verses). It's not online, but I've got mp3s of it. Fast forward to 2017 or thereabouts, and I had the Dano - so I decided to re-cut it (all me, multitracked), using my original arrangement - that's what you hear. 

'Dealer', yeah, it probably was inspired by having the Dano, and looking for opportunities to play it!   :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

New guitar! Not me, but this is the same guitar. This isn't the kind of music I play, but without question, the best guitar I've ever owned or played. Plays beautifully.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

New guitar! Not me, but this is the same guitar. This isn't the kind of music I play, but without question, the best guitar I've ever owned or played. Plays beautifully.

Mooney is going to be on this like a tramp on chips to tell you how much he dislikes bigdbys 🤣

I bought this 2 pages ago and I love it

image.png.28fe3fe7a8a109611ac9e5e94dfb7987.png

Edited by leemond2008
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Mooney is going to be on this like a tramp on chips to tell you how much he dislikes bigdbys 🤣

I bought this 2 pages ago and I love it

image.png.28fe3fe7a8a109611ac9e5e94dfb7987.png

Gorgeous. Nice one. Hope you enjoy your Gretsch.

I think @mjmooney plays live sometimes? I can see taking a dim view if playing live? I am only using in studio or jams.

I think Robert Smith is playing using a Bigsby here on a Schecter;  he breaks a string. It throws the tuning off, and he basically throws the guitar town. And he likes Bigbys lol.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I think @mjmooney plays live sometimes? I can see taking a dim view if playing live? I am only using in studio or jams.

Not any more. Haven't played electric, with a band, for many years. These days it's just the occasional open mic acoustic gig for me. And back then I never owned a guitar with a whammy bar anyway. Neither Duane Eddy/Hank Marvin wobbles nor EVH dive bombs were my kind of thing. 

My first experience of one was only a few years ago, when I bought an es335 copy that had a Bigsby. It was a bit of a novelty, fun to mess around with, but I never even got as far as the challenge of changing strings, as I decided I didn't like it, and sold it. Nothing to do with the Bigsby, I just couldn't get on with the neck/tall frets. 

Since then, however, on a complete whim, I've acquired a cheapo Squier Strat, with the Fender-style floating bridge vibrato. And it's OK, even if 95% of the time it's pushed back out of the way (I may even remove it eventually). 

I do, however, own a Gretsch - a g2622 (Streamliner, couldn't afford an Electromatic!). And it's a hardtail. Can't say I've fallen in love with it, but it comes in when I want a jazzier sound: 

Listen to Stormy Weather by Mike Mooney on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/RMBf5

None of these come close to my Telecaster in my affections, tbh. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Got an absolute bargain on a second hand Boss RC 505 this week (5 channel table-top looper). Got a few of Yamaha's Reface synths where there's no sequencer and the onboard loopers are garbage, so the 505 takes care of that with channels to spare.

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Not any more. Haven't played electric, with a band, for many years. These days it's just the occasional open mic acoustic gig for me. And back then I never owned a guitar with a whammy bar anyway. Neither Duane Eddy/Hank Marvin wobbles nor EVH dive bombs were my kind of thing. 

My first experience of one was only a few years ago, when I bought an es335 copy that had a Bigsby. It was a bit of a novelty, fun to mess around with, but I never even got as far as the challenge of changing strings, as I decided I didn't like it, and sold it. Nothing to do with the Bigsby, I just couldn't get on with the neck/tall frets. 

Since then, however, on a complete whim, I've acquired a cheapo Squier Strat, with the Fender-style floating bridge vibrato. And it's OK, even if 95% of the time it's pushed back out of the way (I may even remove it eventually). 

I do, however, own a Gretsch - a g2622 (Streamliner, couldn't afford an Electromatic!). And it's a hardtail. Can't say I've fallen in love with it, but it comes in when I want a jazzier sound: 

Listen to Stormy Weather by Mike Mooney on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/RMBf5

None of these come close to my Telecaster in my affections, tbh. 

Wow, that's really skillful, Mike. The guitar playing is tremendous! That's a different side of your musical interests I hadn't seen. Nice.

I understand your affection for the Telecaster. It's such a versatile and comfortable instrument, and it has more jangle in it than a Rick if you ask me.

• Thanks 1

Here's the new guitar (am I a little excited?! 🤣) in action. This is me taking it out for a drive yesterday. Listen to the muddy-sludgy goodness and the psychobilly hollow-body twangs on top. Along with my Tele, I'm able to cover all the sonic territory I want to cover now. Perfect complement to a Fender.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One for you guitarist types out there. Anyone know anything about the "guitar" that plays the 10 bar break in this number ? I realise this is a very old piece of music so please accept my apologies in advance. There was an  urban rumour that the guitar part on the original number was played by Ray Parker Jnr but not sure if true.

31 minutes ago, veloman said:

One for you guitarist types out there. Anyone know anything about the "guitar" that plays the 10 bar break in this number ? I realise this is a very old piece of music so please accept my apologies in advance. There was an  urban rumour that the guitar part on the original number was played by Ray Parker Jnr but not sure if true.

It's a Danelectro 'sitar-guitar'. Details.

According to Wikipedia

The distinctive electric sitar part is played by Dennis Coffey. The lead guitar on the selection is performed by Ray Parker Jr., who later headed the team Raydio before becoming a solo recording artist in his own right.

Coral-Sitar_Web.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've been painfully slowly been using FL Studio the last few years to mess around and try and create sci-fi/space/atmospheric sort of music. It's been tough with work and a 2 year old lad. 

I've switched to Ableton Live which is a completely different way of working but I'm starting to get my head around it and am finding myself going down the ambient music path.

Hopefully over the next few months I'll have some finished songs for my first ever EP.

In the meantime, here's a few WIP I had previously to give a general idea of what I like to make. 

Listen to Work in Progress by Cenotaff on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/Q24siTv3xVXFDecF7

https://on.soundcloud.com/kB2vL

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wezbid said:

I've been painfully slowly been using FL Studio the last few years

I've switched to Ableton Live which is a completely different way of working 

Always interesting to know what DAWs people are using. I started with Cubase, but didn't really get on with it. Switched to Reaper and never looked back. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Always interesting to know what DAWs people are using. I started with Cubase, but didn't really get on with it. Switched to Reaper and never looked back. 

I've never tried Cubase but watched a few people work in it. I had a brief look at Reaper but didn't proceed as it was so different to what I'd learned in FL Studio.

The joys of DAW's is that people think and work in so many different ways that there will be something out there that speaks to nearly everybody. 

Listener's in the main aren't going to care what DAW or VST's you've used. They're just deciding whether they dig the song or not. 

In the specific context of this thread though, I, too, find it interesting what everybody uses.

It's brilliant that these days you can create pro sounding music for absolutely free if you know what you're doing (I don't) and if you don't know what you're doing, there are insane amounts of free videos teaching you how. 

• Like 1

I used Studio one 6 as my DAW, I got a copy with my spark amp and then I got version 6 not long back when I bought a presonus audio interface. 

I had to nuke my laptop a few weeks back and I lost every one of my recordings and I've gotta reinstall it 😭

• Like 1

Talking DAWs - I did briefly try Cubase, Reason ACID Pro - but IMO, nothing compares to Ableton. 

I'm not a musician, and I'm fine with that, I'm DJ, which might be why Ableton made more sense to me than the others, but the interface, the UI, all of it just made so much more sense. I think it might be helped by the fact that most of what I do is very very simple sampling, cutting and chopping and slamming together other samples instead of creating 'my own' music.

But Ableton, all day every day for me.

On 07/08/2024 at 14:04, Wezbid said:

I've been painfully slowly been using FL Studio the last few years to mess around and try and create sci-fi/space/atmospheric sort of music. It's been tough with work and a 2 year old lad. 

I've switched to Ableton Live which is a completely different way of working but I'm starting to get my head around it and am finding myself going down the ambient music path.

Hopefully over the next few months I'll have some finished songs for my first ever EP.

In the meantime, here's a few WIP I had previously to give a general idea of what I like to make. 

https://on.soundcloud.com/Q24siTv3xVXFDecF7

https://on.soundcloud.com/kB2vL

Just listened, enjoyed both tracks a lot - not my usual go to but I thoroughly enjoyed what you've done and you have a very distinct sound. 

One tiny bit of constructive feedback, and feel free to disregard it completely, I'm a nobody at the end of the day and I'm just relaying the exact same advice I've been given in the past - Try and form a structure around an existing track, probably not that easy with the type of music you're making, but the first link in particular, was fantastic but I was begging for a breakdown in the middle, just a little switch up. The track was ace but it almost felt like it built and built to slowly fade away at the end and it deserved a little bit more. 

Understand, that isn't even half a criticism, I really like what you're doing and I've given you a follow too.

If anyone else want's to share Soundcloud links I'm more than happy to do so, be fascinated to hear what you're all working on.

Oh and @Wezbid - Have a search for a fella called Andy/Andrew Kinsella - he's a local boy, makes some very similar stuff to you, you might find his work interesting. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â