The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yep, that's the way it works these days. Don't be shy, go for it - or somebody else will get the gig. 

In other words - blow your own trumpet... :)

Haha - I'm thinking of doing a recording in the new year. Not for the sales (the market for solo trombone and piano CD's is huge - about 250 people lol) But really it's a great 'business card' that Universities look for if I want to progress into teaching. I was offered a position over the summer at a University but it was in Indiana - honestly  my wife and I talked it over and we just couldn't leave NYC to live somewhere surrounded by Trump supporters.

• Like 1

I'm not one for regrets, or wanting to go back in time and change things, because I'm pretty happy where I've ended up. But if I had to change one thing, it would be to have really worked at music. I know a couple of pro musicians, so I'm aware it's a much harder life than most people realise, but I still have a certain envy of that career. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I'm pretty shy of social media - no website/facebook/youtube

Audio or ensemble pieces are good. When you're comfortable with the notion, obviously ;)

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Audio or ensemble pieces are good. When you're comfortable with the notion, obviously ;)

Oh boy - alright here we go then Mr. Persistent ;-) 

I moved to NYC to join a group called Ensemble ACJW a partnership of Carnegie Hall and Juilliard School (It was a 2 year gig.) We played concerts and did a lot of music education stuff which I still do a lot of.

Below is a video of a composition project I did with a school in the Bronx (I'm the guy with the trombone.)

Next video is part of a show we did at Le Poisson Rouge in the West Village of some Gustav Mahler reimagined a little bit.

Another piece from the same show by David Bruce is at the bottom (bit more of me playing in that) although I think the piece is a bit meh quite honestly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not one for regrets, or wanting to go back in time and change things, because I'm pretty happy where I've ended up. But if I had to change one thing, it would be to have really worked at music. I know a couple of pro musicians, so I'm aware it's a much harder life than most people realise, but I still have a certain envy of that career. 

Well come to NYC and we'll jam :)

Like everything there are pros and cons to every career.
Pros: Getting to be creative, illuminate peoples lives (education) and of course people enjoying your performance.

Cons: You are normally working when everyone else is enjoying themselves. My wife is also a musician and we literally pass each other in airports sometime (seriously happens.) & the constant insecurity of it all. 

I have friends that ultimately couldn't cope with insecurity especially when kids came along. It takes a long time to establish yourself and then there are still no guarantees and for many it's a stress they would rather forgo for regular paycheck that doesn't fluctuate.

Without getting too dark, It's a lot tougher business now than even 15 years ago but I guess most would argue that about their jobs.

A quick example in NYC, there used to be a lot of recording and now today there are very few studios even left open. The horn players from the Blues Brothers Band for example (Blue Lou Marini, Tom Malone, Alan Rubin) all made bank in the 70's & 80's and got great pensions through the union. The Union pension is at $1 to $1 now lol. Doesn't even beat inflation!

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Unless you're one of a select few, it's a life of hard work, long hours, lots of travel and very little money!

20 hours ago, Xann said:

Great stuff! That's a lovely line of work :)

Trombone is good - Peter Herbolzheimer is a god in this household.

That's fantastic. I will share with my colleagues that somewhere, on this planet, a trombone player is a God in a least 1 home. It will get some lol's I'm sure.

I notice that Jiggs Wigham is playing lead bone on that clip. I'm lucky enough have known him a little - great guy and fantastic player. He told me this joke which I've never forgotten for some reason "Q: How does Good King Wenceslas like his pizza? A:Deep & Crisp & Even."

Always good to have a few family friendly, seasonal gags as a musician ;)

I'm guessing you're familiar with Blood Sweat & Tears - Dave Bargeron was their Trombone & Tuba player - Incredible player/musician & I have one of his old horns from the 70's which I still use on Broadway :) 

Here he is live.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2016 at 17:57, TheAuthority said:

So I've been knocking around VT for quite some time now and was always a little too shy to intro myself in this thread - but anyway I thought it was about time I came out into the open as a professional musician!

Although I'm classically trained I do a lot of commercial playing and perform a lot on Broadway here in NYC. Things I'm most known for are playing with Sting on his 1st studio album in a number of years - I'm also a member of the Radio City Music Hall Orchestra and sub at the Metropolitan Opera & many NYC shows.

My work has been really good to me and I've travelled the world with my horn on my back (I'm a brass player.) Working with 'names' that people recognize (P Diddy, Snoop Dog, Seth MacFarlane to Pavarotti's last US tour) actually is, in many ways the least rewarding work. I really enjoy bringing music to underserved communities such as retirement homes, inner city schools and the most powerful is working in prisons.

Anyway, before this turns into my bio anymore than it already is, I feel extremely fortunate to do what I do in a field (live music) which is sadly shrinking. If anyone is coming to NYC let me know and come see some shows!

There it is, I've finally come clean to you all!

Wow. That is fantastic. Stories like this make me wish I could have found a way to get the dedication needed to play the drums to a decent standard.

I am always amazed at those who have the courage and temperament to commit to playing their instrument professionally. I for one have never had the self belief!

I hope we get to hear many interesting tales of your life as a pro musician.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 17:57, TheAuthority said:

My work has been really good to me and I've travelled the world with my horn on my back (I'm a brass player.) Working with 'names' that people recognize (P Diddy, Snoop Dog, Seth MacFarlane to Pavarotti's last US tour) actually is, in many ways the least rewarding work. I really enjoy bringing music to underserved communities such as retirement homes, inner city schools and the most powerful is working in prisons.here it is, I've finally come clean to you all!

Blimey, can't claim to have played with such 'famous' people but would have kept quiet about Snoop Dog and P Diddy :D!! Your sight reading must be damned good 'sight read fly shit' we used to say. My sight reading was (one( of the things that let me down, miss a coda or a repeat and you were in trouble. 

Any singers in here looking to sing with a cover band at all? Just asking on the off chance since our singer just quit the band. Advertising on joinmyband.co.uk and other places isn't working out, people are pretty unreliable on there. We play mostly indie/rock stuff from the 90s onward with a couple of 60s classics thrown in. Only been going a few months so we haven't played any gigs yet but the plan is to make some money though playing  as soon as we can.

8 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Triple bass?

Bloody Hell - It was used in Handel's performances - At the time of writing.

The maker was Gasparo da Salo (Wiki).

Antonio Stradivari copied him! That's some instrument!

It passed into the hands of one of the finest bow players of the following century Domenico Dragonetti (Wiki).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Bet Stanley Clarke could play it !

The very best players from the times when it was made were expected to improvise.

The Classical bunch that followed weren't into this quite so much, skills were lost.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â