Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend dead

TrentVilla

He has to serve 1/6 off his sentence in prison and if he meets certain conditions he can serve the rest of his sentence under house arrest, excluding what he gets for parole. The prosecution  will almost certainly appeal the lightness of the sentence. The defence won't appeal for obvious reasons,

I thought the judge was very thorough in the reasons behind the length of the sentence but can't help feeling that too much consideration was given to the vunerability of Pistorius and not enough consideration for the victim or her family. How vunerable is he. We are talking about a man who had the strength of will to come back from adversity and comepete against able bodied men in the Olympics. 

This is the one thing that annoyed me with it all, it is fine to demand equal treatment when it benefits you but when it goes the other way it is fine to play on your disability to get favorable treatment.

I know that I am over simplifying things and that may not have been the case but that is the way it has come across at times.

Edited by leemond2008
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...

Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius has been found guilty of murder after a South African appeals court overturned an earlier manslaughter verdict.

He killed his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in February 2013 after shooting her four times through a locked toilet door.

He is currently under house arrest after spending one year of his original five-year sentence in jail.

Pistorius will have to return to court to be re-sentenced, for murder.

It was earlier incorrectly reported that the court had ruled the manslaughter verdict would remain.

Image copyrightImage captionSouth Africa's Supreme Court of Appeal ruled that the lower court did not correctly apply the rule of dolus eventualis - whether Pistorius knew that a death would be a likely result of his actions.

Reading the ruling reached by a panel of five judges, Justice Lorimer Leach said that having armed himself with a high-calibre weapon, Pistorius must have foreseen that whoever was behind the door might die.

Pistorius' lawyer argued that he believed that there was an intruder in the house but the judge said that the identity of the person behind the door was irrelevant.

Pistorius at Olympicsistorius competed in both the Olympics and Paralympics in London in 2012

Ms Steenkamp's mother, June, was present but Pistorius did not attend the hearing at the Supreme Court of Appeal in Bloemfontein.

The double amputee was released from prison on 19 October. Under South African law, he was eligible for release under "correctional supervision", having served a sixth of his sentence.

Pistorius can challenge the ruling in the constitutional court but only if his lawyers can argue that his constitutional rights have been violated.

Legal expert Mannie Witz told the BBC that there do not appear to be any grounds for such an appeal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-34993002

Back to Prison again?

Edited by sexbelowsound

sad day for justice , clearly  not enough evidence for a murder conviction and the appeal courts have presumably been pressured into making that decision

as it's a now 1-1  ,can  Oscar now appeal against the appeal and make it best out of 3 ?

3 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

15 years minimum.

Abolutely the right decision. 

He won't get 15 years. That's the maximum available for his conviction, he's already served one and has profound disabilities. I'm betting 10-12 years. 

2 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Being bounced around from jail to house arrest can't be doing his mental health any good.

Who actually cares? That is little sympathy for Steenkamps family. Correct decision, getting 8 months in prison was a absolute joke. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

I'm talking more from the perspective of him having a reason to appeal.

From the BBC on the subject of appeal.

Yes, but only if his lawyers are convinced that the appeal judges violated his constitutional rights. So it's a high threshold,and hard to meet.

It looks unlikely he will get out of this. 

At last the Steenkamps family get some justice for their daughters murder. I don't think he will have any grounds for an appeal. He should just now accept his punishment, he will still be fairly young when he gets out of prison, where-as Reeva doesn't get a second chance.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â