Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend dead

TrentVilla

Been quite impressed with the judge throughout actually. 

I think the prosecution probably shouldn't have focussed so much on the argument aspect. A couple of dodgy neighbours who thought they heard some yelling and screaming.. as soon as that was thrown out the case was quiet a bit weaker. 

As far as I'm concerned if you point a gun at where you believe someone is standing, and pull the trigger, it shouldn't matter whether it's a burglar, your girlfriend or the pope - you are intending to kill them. I don't believe it was pre-meditated murder, but I think manslaughter (or culpable homicide as it seems to be called) is actually quite kind to him. 

The news were saying that if he doesn't get ,murder (which he hasn't) then the prosecution will probably appeal along these grounds.

In that fair enough he didn't intend to kill HER. But he did intend to kill.

• Like 1

I don't believe it was pre-meditated murder, but I think manslaughter (or culpable homicide as it seems to be called) is actually quite kind to him.

There's another option, though, I think.

Premeditation hasn't been proven, but the commentary this morning is about if you choose to shoot into as confined a space as that, then it's reasonable to suppose you have a fair chance of killing someone (regardless of who you think is there).  In which case, it sounds as if murder, but not premediated murder, would be a more approppriate finding than culpable homicide.  The radio reports are saying that a lot of legal commentators in SA are saying this (no idea whether that's so), and it sounds like a reasonable conclusion from a common sense point of view.

Though often, if you drew a Venn diagram of common sense and the law, not only would the circles not overlap, they would be on separate pages.

How could he be found not guilty for that wtf the bullets were used on reeva or did they magically dissapear

Not sure, I only know that he defence was that he was keeping it for his father and somehow he must have got away with it.

Just seen the verdicts. Not surprised she's acquitted on the firarms and ammo possession charges, they are not really relevent given the culpable homicide conviction.

I haven't seen the full trial or heard all of the evidence but my perception is that the judge (who has been excellent IMO) has arrived at the only verdict available to her. Only Oscar knows, and will ever know what really happened that night but if his story is true, I can see how a man on his stumps, fire arm in hand, when confronted with an "intruder" in his home shoots first and asks questions later. Its massively easy to moralise about what he should have done or what he shouldn't have done when we are (I assume) healthy able bodied individuals who (predominantly) live in a country where violent burglary is extremely rare.

Any "reasonable" person knows that if you fire 4 bullets into what is essentially a toilet cubicle, you are going at best seriously injure the person behind the door - OP knew that when he opened fire, especially given the ammo he was using. He IS responsible for Reeva's death and it absolutely could have been avoided so the verdict IMO is correct.

As for a sentence, I can well imagine a massive fine and a significant suspended prison sentence. I'm not an SA legal expert in anyway shape or form but I'm a little surprised he has been bailed pending sentence, so I can see a prison sentence is far from guaranteed - and actually, for a certain point of view the better outcome is to relieve him of several million and make use of it to benefit society.

I'm a little surprised he has been bailed pending sentence

They were speculating on the radio this morning that this may happen, as they are yet to work out which prison can accommodate a man with OP's disabilities

Premeditated was never on the cards here. For it to be premeditated your actions would have been ones which solely led to the purpose of killing i.e.. getting in your car and driving to someone's house with the aim of killing them.

In your own home, whether it was an argument which got out of control, or a shot at a burglar, there's no level of premeditation there.

But that gun was fired with the intention of killing someone, I think whoever it was is almost irrelevant, in a strange way. The prosecution made too much of trying to make it premeditated; focusing their case on the argument and Pistorius's history with guns and anger issues, etc..  the judge has been left with no choice but to dismiss that because the case was too weak. 

I'm guessing there's legal loopholes in that you can't prosecute for murder of 'whoever happened to be in the way of the bullets', and that's how he's only got manslaughter, IM(NAALT)O (in my not at all legally trained opinion)

I'm a little surprised he has been bailed pending sentence

They were speculating on the radio this morning that this may happen, as they are yet to work out which prison can accommodate a man with OP's disabilities

If he can run in the Olympics I'm pretty sure he'll be able to make his way around some concrete hallways. 

Just seen the verdicts. Not surprised she's acquitted on the firarms and ammo possession charges, they are not really relevent given the culpable homicide conviction.

I haven't seen the full trial or heard all of the evidence but my perception is that the judge (who has been excellent IMO) has arrived at the only verdict available to her. Only Oscar knows, and will ever know what really happened that night but if his story is true, I can see how a man on his stumps, fire arm in hand, when confronted with an "intruder" in his home shoots first and asks questions later. Its massively easy to moralise about what he should have done or what he shouldn't have done when we are (I assume) healthy able bodied individuals who (predominantly) live in a country where violent burglary is extremely rare.

Any "reasonable" person knows that if you fire 4 bullets into what is essentially a toilet cubicle, you are going at best seriously injure the person behind the door - OP knew that when he opened fire, especially given the ammo he was using. He IS responsible for Reeva's death and it absolutely could have been avoided so the verdict IMO is correct.

As for a sentence, I can well imagine a massive fine and a significant suspended prison sentence. I'm not an SA legal expert in anyway shape or form but I'm a little surprised he has been bailed pending sentence, so I can see a prison sentence is far from guaranteed - and actually, for a certain point of view the better outcome is to relieve him of several million and make use of it to benefit society.

I think you needed to have followed the case all the way through to come up with those conclusions. The bail is no surprise either as he had bail up until the verdict anyway so not much has changed apart from him selling his property since he was originally given bail.

Like most people I was surprised to find that they do not use juries in South Africa.

Without a jury, all the emotive and manipulative stuff, which makes up the art of advocacy becomes irrelevant but for reasons I can't understand, the SAs still persist with it. 

Does anyone think that trial by jury should be scrapped in this country?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â