Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend dead

TrentVilla

Completely got off by the sounds of it, wow

But there is no evidence he intended to kill when he fired.

Of course i totally agree with her he only meant to warn the so called "intruder" by firing 4 dum dum rounds into a door...

The intention was to kill why else would he possess illegal ammunition in the first place to cause maximum damage and why would he not fire warning shots in the air first?

He's a celebrity so will get judged accordingly if it were any joe bloggs member of the public he'd be done for murder and it would have not taken 6 months to come to a verdict either

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

Without looking it up, I think it's more than just feeling threatened, something about it being reasonable to be in immediate fear of being attacked or something like that.  Seeking out an intruder by approaching where you think they are hiding doesn't seem to fit the bill.

Guradnia has explained an aspect of SA law which distinguishes between whether he did foresee that shooting through the door would kill, and whether he should have foreseen it.  It says that if a reasonable person should have foreseen that, then culpable homicide may be the verdict.

Completely got off by the sounds of it, wow

But there is no evidence he intended to kill when he fired.

Of course i totally agree with her he only meant to warn the so called "intruder" by firing 4 dum dum rounds into a door...

The intention was to kill why else would he possess illegal ammunition in the first place to cause maximum damage and why would he not fire warning shots in the air first?

He's a celebrity so will get judged accordingly if it were any joe bloggs member of the public he'd be done for murder and it would have not taken 6 months to come to a verdict either

As has been said a million times, it doesn't matter if we all "know" he's guilty.

They can't prove it. 

the guy on skynews just said there is no length of time that can be given for manslaughter in south african law, so he could be told he has to serve a year or not have a suspended sentence

if he gets off with no sentence it is a complete mockery

the guy on skynews just said there is no length of time that can be given for manslaughter in south african law, so he could be told he has to serve a year or not have a suspended sentence

yet the BBC state its a maximum of 15 years and suggest he will get between 7 and 10. Can the charge being in possession of illegal firearms be added on to this sentence? He's not going to get off with just a suspended sentence.

Edited by PaulC

yet the BBC state its a maximum of 15 years and suggest he will get between 7 and 10. Can the charge being in possession of illegal firearms be added on to this sentence? He's not going to get off with just a suspended sentence.

I believe you are both correct. The maximum sentence is 15yrs, but there is no minimum sentence.

So it is conceivable that he just gets a smack on the wrists, but (for the reason ashvilla gives above) I'm going to guess at about 5yrs.

Guilty of culpable homicide.  To be fair to the judge her reasoning behind he judgements seem totally sound.  The difference between what we suspect probably happened and what has actually been proven is pretty huge.  The big debating point will be around how long he should be in prison for.

Been quite impressed with the judge throughout actually. 

I think the prosecution probably shouldn't have focussed so much on the argument aspect. A couple of dodgy neighbours who thought they heard some yelling and screaming.. as soon as that was thrown out the case was quiet a bit weaker. 

As far as I'm concerned if you point a gun at where you believe someone is standing, and pull the trigger, it shouldn't matter whether it's a burglar, your girlfriend or the pope - you are intending to kill them. I don't believe it was pre-meditated murder, but I think manslaughter (or culpable homicide as it seems to be called) is actually quite kind to him. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â