World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

Anders Svensson? Is that the one who played for Southampton about 12 years ago? How is he still in their team at that age?

Sweden are the only national team worse than England at culling veteran players from their squads, likes for Mellberg and Larsson were still getting called up at 35.

Great result for Portugal, they're pretty solid defensively so think they'll go and get a 0-0 or 1-1 no problem on Tuesday.

Me and my friends made a pact tonight that if Iceland do make it to Brazil we will swim in the ocean down here Reykjavik straight after the game on Tuesday. We still have a chance.

If we make it through it would  be like Villa winning a Champions League final and at the same time Trevor Francis drowning in his own shit of disgusting biased shit.

• Like 4

Me and my friends made a pact tonight that if Iceland do make it to Brazil we will swim in the ocean down here Reykjavik straight after the game on Tuesday. We still have a chance.

If we make it through it would be like Villa winning a Champions League final and at the same time Trevor Francis drowning in his own shit of disgusting biased shit.

To be this close with a population only 10x that of San Marino is truly amazing, I like Croatia a lot but I hope Iceland can do the unthinkable.

All it would take is a score draw.... Early fluke goal, poor penalty conceded by croatia, lots of things can happen.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be an Icelander if you make it.

Side note: it's incredibly unlikely Iceland ever get to this point again, it was the perfect storm of a golden age and a flukishly weak group. So I really hope they take this chance.

Edited by Rovers13
  • Like 1

Anders Svensson? Is that the one who played for Southampton about 12 years ago? How is he still in their team at that age?

Sweden are the only national team worse than England at culling veteran players from their squads, likes for Mellberg and Larsson were still getting called up at 35.

Great result for Portugal, they're pretty solid defensively so think they'll go and get a 0-0 or 1-1 no problem on Tuesday.

in fairness them players were still good enough for the team. Mellberg be better choice than what they have now

If Iceland make it................what excuses then will Scottish and Welsh fans come up with then?

Both should be in serious contention for the euro play offs, you're talking about probably finishing 3rd in a 6 team group.

Slightly specious logic. It's a generational thing. Iceland have never made it before so what excuse did their past squads have? Scotland have been there plenty of times and Wales are improving. We shouldn't use a team's isolated success as a stick to beat someone else with IMHO.

It is woeful that Scotland have not made an international tournament since 1998 and Wales since 1958.

All I hear is small pool of players, impossible to qualify from pot 4. Well Iceland have got themselves into a decent position now.

In fairness Scotland have a steady pool of players to pick from now, they've been handicapped in the lst few years by appointing terrible managers (ironically I don't include McLeish in that list) and it appears they are improving a fair bit under Strachan so I think they have a decent chance of making the euros.

Wales should be doing matter. They have arguably the best premier league midfield on form and the world's most expensive player at their disposal. Yes they lack depth but Iceland have Kari Arnason of Rotherham playing at centre half for them so it's not like they have a world class player in each position. Not sure giving Coleman another two years is the correct decision though.

It is woeful that Scotland have not made an international tournament since 1998 and Wales since 1958.

All I hear is small pool of players, impossible to qualify from pot 4. Well Iceland have got themselves into a decent position now.

In fairness Scotland have a steady pool of players to pick from now, they've been handicapped in the lst few years by appointing terrible managers (ironically I don't include McLeish in that list) and it appears they are improving a fair bit under Strachan so I think they have a decent chance of making the euros.

Wales should be doing matter. They have arguably the best premier league midfield on form and the world's most expensive player at their disposal. Yes they lack depth but Iceland have Kari Arnason of Rotherham playing at centre half for them so it's not like they have a world class player in each position. Not sure giving Coleman another two years is the correct decision though.

Coleman is a horrible manager.

Scotland don't produce the players like they used to.  After England won the world cup in 66, Scotland came to Wembley and played us off the park with Baxter running the show. In 78 they went to the world cup finals with high expectations, The even left out Andy Gray who was a top top striker in the English first division at that time. They are always going to struggle to qualify for major competitions. Wales have always had one or two top players and the rest have been poor. They have Ramsey and Bale now so maybe if they can find a few more decent players they may have a chance.

Scotland don't produce the players like they used to.  After England won the world cup in 66, Scotland came to Wembley and played us off the park with Baxter running the show. In 78 they went to the world cup finals with high expectations, The even left out Andy Gray who was a top top striker in the English first division at that time. They are always going to struggle to qualify for major competitions. Wales have always had one or two top players and the rest have been poor. They have Ramsey and Bale now so maybe if they can find a few more decent players they may have a chance.

Dont tell Con that  ;)

Having players like Ramsey and Bale would any mediocre team a good team. Shame about the manager.

• Like 1

Having players like Ramsey and Bale would any mediocre team a good team. Shame about the manager.

not just them,  Williams, Taylor are also Premier league quality and maybe Bellamy is still, player for player they are probably better than Ireland but cant seem to click

Wales have lacked a decent central striker for years, best I suppose they have is Sam Vokes knocking them in for fun at Burnley but he won't be giving international centre halfs sleepless nights. Bellamy has now retired. If they had a Stephen Fletcher or even a Shane Long in their squad, then I think it would be a good attacking line up. Johnny Williams at Palace looks a terrific prospect but he's injured currently.

Scotland don't have great players anymore but in terms of comparing their squad to the Bertie Vogts era it is much better.

Stephen Fletcher scores goals at premier league level and will for Scotland, Snograss usually has good stats over a premier league season and I think Anya at Watford is an excellent option with his pace, he'll be in the premier league before long. They seem to have settled down defensively under Strachan and ended the world cup campaign strongly, key now is to make a strong start as British teams are useless at playing catch up.

When you look at the next euros you're talking of what 23 qualifers out of 51 teams? If you think of the likes of Andorra, San, Marino, Luxembourg etc who don't have any chance of qualifying then that's probably 40 teams  for 27 spots (if you count the 4 losing play off teams). No one can tell me Scotland and Wales shouldn't be in the mix. 

Only team with a reasonable excuse is Norn Iron, who do have a very limitred pool of players which is only getting worse as they're losing youth to the Republic now. But I'll let them off as I like how they turn over the bigger nations from time to time.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â