World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

And besides, technically they were all a part of the world cup.  They just haven't reached the finals section because THEY WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH.

• Like 1

im sorry even if more chance of Ireland qualifying I think its a shit idea. tournament is diluted as it is, I think 24 was a better number for a World Cup.

tv viewings really are not going to increase for games like Panama vs Slovenia or Norway vs Jordan

• Like 1

Fans of those countries will be interested though. What is the harm?

It harms the competitive nature of the early games. The tournament will have more crap teams so the group stage will be far more routine and far less interesting. Similar to what they're doing to the euros, it'll be a glorified qualifying campaign with some good games at the very end. If you're concerned about fans of lesser footballing nations then why stop at 40 teams? Why not 60? What's the harm? Eventually you make 90% of the tournament rubbish.

On the other hand if you're concerned about the quality of the tournament why not only 16 teams and 8 teams at the Euros?

There are more than 8 good teams in Europe. As Zatman says, 16 is fine.

The World Cup is already diluted as it is. Some of the group games are utter shit and by adding more teams it is just going to increase these sort of games.

The balance is right though. You have to have all parts of the world represented in a world cup. But certain areas only have one or two competitive sides. No point taking any more than that.

yeah the Euros usually have 4 evenly matched teams in a group and I think all the groups in last 2 tournaments had something on the line in last round of fixtures,  except for the Ireland games :( most of the games were close contests in Euro 2012

They had to make the Euros bigger because it's supposed to be easier to qualify for your continental competition than it is to qualify for the World Cup.

More example Africa has 5 places at the World Cup and 16 at the Africa Cup of Nations.

So if you're aren't good enough to qualify for the World Cup you can still play at the Africa Cup of Nations.

At present 13 European teams qualify for the World Cup and 16 for the European Championship which is too similar so the same nations just qualify for both.

So if Scotland aren't good enough to qualify for the World Cup they could still harbour ambitions of getting to the Euros.

Plus the Euros is too short after the group stage so I think 24 teams is about right since we'll also get a Last 16 round.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â