World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

I don't care who goes through out of Greece & Romania.

But doesn't Romania winning these games push Ireland out of a 2nd seed position for the next Euro qualifying?
No idea tbh. If that's the case then that's one reason to support one over the other.

What this playoff has effectively done is make 2 poor teams qualify. 2 of Greece, Romania, Croatia and Iceland will be at the world cup, while some strong European teams sit at home.

Maybe you could watch a few games with the teams in question before you brand them poor?

Croatia have got some real top class players (Modric, Mandszukic to name two). Their FA is apparentely **** up and the team has payed for that on the pitch.

Didn't Greece have the joint best defence? Maybe not the most exciting team but they are where they are on merit.

Iceland might have had a poor group but we've got two potentially (or even now) excellent strikers (Sigthorsson and Finnbogason) and a few other quite promising players. Watch them play before you judge, we play attractive football.

I'll admit thay I don't know much about Romania but thw bottom line is football is played on the pitch not on paper.

• Like 1

Oh I completely agree with your last line, football is played on the pitch not paper. This is why I think Ukraine will beat France over the two legs whereas most people will go with France because they are the bigger name. But forget the rankings, if you had to rank the 4 teams in the playoff in order of how good they are on the pitch, who would you say?

But doesn't Romania winning these games push Ireland out of a 2nd seed position for the next Euro qualifying?

No idea tbh. If that's the case then that's one reason to support one over the other.

Romania win both their legs then Ireland are 3rd seeds for Euro 2016

Stimac has no ability as a coach so was a poor replacement for Bilic.

Think getting Kovac in is a good move by the croats and they still have plenty of talented players in their squad.

think I heard that Stimac only got the job as he had mates high up in the FA. Think Kovac is a good replacement as players will respect him which i think is sadly bad news for Iceland :(

What this playoff has effectively done is make 2 poor teams qualify. 2 of Greece, Romania, Croatia and Iceland will be at the world cup, while some strong European teams sit at home.

The "strong" teams should have qualified as group winners if they wanted to be there. I don't think any team who finished second in their qualifying group can be described as "poor" really. I'd love to see Iceland at the world cup, but I think Croatia will win that one comfortably. I think Greece will take the other spot.

• Like 1

The "strong" teams should have qualified as group winners if they wanted to be there. I don't think any team who finished second in their qualifying group can be described as "poor" really. I'd love to see Iceland at the world cup, but I think Croatia will win that one comfortably. I think Greece will take the other spot.

It was a bit of a  disrespectful comment I think as teams deserve to be there not because they are a strong team but because was earned. France drew with Georgia and Ukraine with Moldova and even Portugal with Northern Ireland so them teams should have won their groups to deserve to qualify

If some 'strong'(sic) European teams are sitting at home it's because they deserve to be. If they were strong they'd have got through their group and they only have themselves to blame.

• Like 1

It was a bit of a disrespectful comment I think as teams deserve to be there not because they are a strong team but because was earned. France drew with Georgia and Ukraine with Moldova and even Portugal with Northern Ireland so them teams should have won their groups to deserve to qualify

France are a bit unlucky to have been drawn in the same group as Spain.

Even if they'd won that game against Georgia they'd still would have finished behind the World and European champions.

France have found some decent form recently though and I expect them to qualify through the playoffs anyway.

cant agree, France have been poor by their standards since 2006 World Cup and their own fault they were dropped into the pot and have a lot more quality than Greece and probably even England for example who were both higher seeds

Romania win both their legs then Ireland are 3rd seeds for Euro 2016

There's no seeding at the World Cup beyond the first pot.

There's no seeding at the World Cup beyond the first pot.

The drop in seeding relates to the European Championships qualifiers for 2016. Dropping from the 2nd pot to the 3rd pot on a continent with so many similarly strengthed sides is a significant move.

If some 'strong'(sic) European teams are sitting at home it's because they deserve to be. If they were strong they'd have got tis rough their group and they only have themselves to blame.

Could not agree more. If people simply want the "strongest" teams at a world cup we may aswell just do away with qualifaction and simply go from fifa rankings. 

Adrian Durham latest Daily Mail focuses on the world cup qualification process, and I have to agree with some of the points he has made, Zlatan or Ronaldo will not be at the world cup next year which is a shame.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â