World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

We just wanted to avoid Portugal in the draw and we did that. Croatia is going to be tough but you never know.

Hope Sweden manage to knock out Portugal. They're always poor when they qualify (except Euro 2004 but that was a weird one).

We just wanted to avoid Portugal in the draw and we did that. Croatia is going to be tough but you never know.

Hope Sweden manage to knock out Portugal. They're always poor when they qualify (except Euro 2004 but that was a weird one).

who have been poor, Portugal? Since 2000 I think only Spain and Germany in Europe have been as consistent to get to as many semi finals as they have

they are well built defensively but have always lacked a striker and dont seem to have a player like Deco or Figo anymore that can pick a pass. they played well in euro 2012 and in 2008. in 2010 they had Quieroz in charge who stifled them.

for me they are becoming the new Spain, a team that usually there or thereabouts without being able to complete the job

Portugal seem to have a problem with qualification sections though.  For such a good / high profile side, they do flirt with playoffs and qualy failure much more than their peers.  Of course it's a completely different kettle of fish in the finals themselves, but it is a strange mentality before that.  I don't know whether it's an arrogance on their part or an inability to take those games seriously.  Not even Italy; who are themselves notoriously slow starters; struggle to qualify for finals tourneys.

This is the 5th time Ukraine have qualified for the playoffs. WC98, Euro 2000, WC 2002 and WC 2010. They lost every single time. Could this be 5th time lucky?

Their playoff record is worse then Ireland's.

Croatia on the other hand have won in the playoffs 3 times, and won them all. They will probably beat Iceland too

What this playoff has effectively done is make 2 poor teams qualify. 2 of Greece, Romania, Croatia and Iceland will be at the world cup, while some strong European teams sit at home.

Demitri what are the Greece team sayin these days? I know they lost out on goal difference for the world cup, but I never watch their game, so that does not tell us much.

Disagree with Zat, there's some good games there.

Zlatan's played in loads of international tournaments without ever doing a huge amount, thnk Portugal will scrape through.

France might be knocked out I reckon, that's a very tough draw against Ukraine who are good defensively.

Iceland-Croatia will be a good watch but think Croats will have too much now they've sacked Stimac.

Greece Romania oh dear. Greece always get ridiculously easy draws. I must admit my knowledge of Romania stopped with the Mutu-Chivu generation retiring, they got any decent players?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â