World Cup Qualifying General Talk

maqroll

Why did they play it in Colorado?

They probably thought that the cold and altitude would give them an advantage over C.R., but I don't think they accounted for a massive snowstorm. Both managers were offered to abandon the game 10 minutes into the 2nd half, but both declined. C.R. were losing at that point, so their manager might live to regret it.

Still probably would have beat them.. Aren't Costa Rica the worst team in this part of qualifying? Or Jamaica? 

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Aren't Costa Rica the worst team in this part of qualifying? Or Jamaica? 

While Costa Rica aren't as good as they used to be, they're still better than Panama. Jamaica and Honduras are proving to be difficult ties, especially away. I predict the 3 to qualify will be USA, Mexico and Honduras

Edited by maqroll

Switzerland have just drawn 0-0 with Cyprus yet are pulling clear in that group. Its a shame that you have a group with such weak teams, yet one group has Italy, denmark, czech republic and bulgaria. 3 or 2 of them won't be at the world cup.

why the hell does concacaf get 4 places, well potentially

At the risk of being captain obvious, because it's a world cup?  CONCACAF is quite a large federation, 35 member states.  Admittedly football isn't the main sport in a lot of them, and a lot of them have rather small populations but I think the point of a world cup is to include everybody.  

32 teams is a great fit for the finals, if you take spaces away from CONCACAF who do you give them to?  I can see an argument for upping Africa's (CAF) compliment given how strong African football is becoming but even then I'd probably do it at the expense of one of UEFA's spots.   Three guaranteed spaces is fine for CONCACAF, if we dropped it to two then it would just be the USA and Mexico every time and the qualifiers would become a bit of a joke. 

Yes its a world cup, but there are not 4 decent standard teams in the concacaf region. I understand you need a good representation from around the world, but FIFA need to keep the quality high.

FIFA have given Europe 13 spots for the next world cup, do you think that is enough?

I think it's more than enough.  If you are going to have teams in the competition that have no realistic chance of winning it then they might as well be the 3rd best team from Central America as opposed to the 14th best team from Europe. 

I don't disagree with that at all, but the world cup isn't about having the 32 best teams reach the finals is it?  It's a worldwide celebration of football and you have to spread the qualifying places around to reflect that.  How many teams who have a serious chance of winning the competition fail to qualify?  Only eight countries have ever won the world cup, only twelve have ever reached the final. It's quite a small number, and really having the 14th best side in Europe sit at home and watch the 4th best side from central America play isn't going to change the outcome of the competition is it?  It's not going to make for a more entertaining tournament either. 

Oh right.My bad. I presumed you were English/British. There are quite a few footballers who play in the MLS who have joint Canadian/Jamaican citizenship.

I'm British as well, was born in Canada and move to England when I was younger..

sp_1204_03.jpg

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â