The Randy Lerner thread

CI

If I remember right we were only technically safe in the Houllier season with a few games left, wins against Arsenal and Liverpool when they had nothing to play for helped boost our league position.

Edited by useless

If I remember right we were only technically safe in the Houllier season with a few games left, wins against Arsenal and Liverpool when they had nothing to play for helped boost our league position.

Perhaps mathematically, but we reached 40 points (which would have kept us up) when we beat West Ham, Houllier's last game in charge. GMac could have lost every game he was in charge of and we would have still stayed up.

How about the Houllier season BJ10? That's usually mentioned as part of the '4 years battling relegation', and that year we finished 9th iirc.

Because it was. After 36 games we were still not 100% safe.

That's why going on just league position is ridiculous. I hated that season, it was awful but if you looked at the table 9th wasn't terrible.

Which weighed up to what he's done for the club, really isn't that bad at all.

Really?

50% of the time finishing bottom half.

25% lowest points totals in prem history.

Last 3 years worst home form in the clubs history.

Does a pub and a training ground make up for that?

How about the Houllier season BJ10? That's usually mentioned as part of the '4 years battling relegation', and that year we finished 9th iirc.

That's why going on just league position is ridiculous. I hated that season, it was awful but if you looked at the table 9th wasn't terrible.

So despite not being safe until the 37th game, we finished 9th, and that's my point, it's been ridiculously tight. So tight, that nearly ten teams will be in a relegation battle all season. Should they all be calling for the owner's and managers' heads?

So despite not being safe until the 37th game, we finished 9th, and that's my point, it's been ridiculously tight. So tight, that nearly ten teams will be in a relegation battle all season. Should they all be calling for the owner's and managers' heads?

You post like that was a one off.

The McLeish year and last year were our lowest points totals in prem history. Is that anything to do with the bottom half being tight?

Our home form is club record bad, is that to do with the bottom half being tight?

In 10-11 18th and 8th were separated by 10 points, 11-12 18th to 10th by 11 points, 12-13 18th to 9th by 10 points, currently 20th and 10th by 8 points. In 09-10 the gap between 18th and 10th was 20 points.

Houllier's season wasn't a one off. The league is getting tighter nearer the bottom each year as all the teams continue to improve, the main difference this year is that there is no whipping boy at the bottom who is cut adrift.

In 10-11 18th and 8th were separated by 10 points, 11-12 18th to 10th by 11 points, 12-13 18th to 9th by 10 points, currently 20th and 10th by 8 points. In 09-10 the gap between 18th and 10th was 20 points.

Houllier's season wasn't a one off. The league is getting tighter nearer the bottom each year as all the teams continue to improve, the main difference this year is that there is no whipping boy at the bottom who is cut adrift.

And that's what's making it so dangerous for Villa this season.

And what's that got to do with us breaking club and premiership records?

Nothing, but then again I wasn't arguing that, I was pointing out that the league has gotten tighter over the last few years meaning that teams higher up the table will be considered "relegation battlers" despite being above 8-9 other teams.

But I may as well play devil's advocate and answer the question. The fact that the Premier League has become tighter means more teams in the bottom half are more capable of taking points off of each other as the general all round quality has increased (or decreased, whichever way you look at it), meaning that less points are spread out among the teams in the lower half so that you don't need as many points to reach certain positions anymore. 40 points is usually regarded as the magic total to avoid relegation, but in the last 7 seasons in only one of them was 40 points needed, the rest needed between 31 and 37.

The league has imo gotten better meaning higher points totals aren't required to reach higher in the table, so we may have had less points in the last few seasons, but it doesn't necessarily mean we as a team are much worse.

Though the original reason I posted it was because I misread your post, I thought you said "You post like that wasn't a one off.".

The league has imo gotten better meaning higher points totals aren't required to reach higher in the table, so we may have had less points in the last few seasons, but it doesn't necessarily mean we as a team are much worse.

That's some crazy thinking to try and justify record lows.

Well whatever  - in case anyone is interested in facts, since the year we won the League until Randy Lerner took over we have averaged 10th, and averaged 51 Points.

Since RL we have averaged 10th, and averaged 51 points.

Admittedly we haven't fineshed 2nd under RL, but then we haven't been relegated either.

I suppose what you would expect anyone to make of those stats is that we pretty much are where we have always been, but then that probably depends upon their goal............

Well whatever - in case anyone is interested in facts, since the year we won the League until Randy Lerner took over we have averaged 10th, and averaged 51 Points.

Since RL we have averaged 10th, and averaged 51 points.

Admittedly we haven't fineshed 2nd under RL, but then we haven't been relegated either.

I suppose what you would expect anyone to make of those stats is that we pretty much are where we have always been, but then that probably depends upon their goal............

Well that would be fantastic for those fans that never attend games or watch us on TV.

Unfortunatly that doesn't help those of us that go.

And it ignores record lows that we've seen under this owner.

And to claim that these record lows and consecutive relegation battles is where we have always been is amazing really.

Plus do anyone think that we are set for 51 points or more in the seasons to come? Doug did a bad job financially. Lerner would be hard pressed to do worse. But Doug understood football better, this is were Lerner fails big time.

Edited by David-Copenhagen
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â