The Randy Lerner thread

CI

But that is not Randy's fault is it? And even by your own admission it put's him in a stronger position than you.

Haha what's that got to do with anything?

Do you honestly believe that Randy's motives are to not be successful?

Shit point. I could ask you the same about McLeish.

I'll say it again - what's your measure of whether it is easier or harder to compete?

I think you know. We're talking about fees and more importantly wages to be able to compete. Last january the net spend wasn't a ridiculous difference between us and Newcastle but I bet the wages paid to those players was.

So you honestly believe over the last 2 years we've been able to financially compete with Newcastle? Did you see last January?

And well dodged.

I'll ask again. Have the last 3 years made it easier or harder?

I saw last January, yes, it appears they spent approximately 7-8M net. We spent 2M net.

Did you see this summer when they spent nothing, but we spent approximately 16M net?

I'll say it again - what's your measure of whether it is easier or harder to compete?

Net spend is not the issue here. They got Sissoko for peanuts but are paying him a ton in wages.

We are not willing - I say that because I think we could - to compete with wages. That limits our prospective transfers by quite a lot.

• Like 1

But that is not Randy's fault is it? And even by your own admission it put's him in a stronger position than you.

Haha what's that got to do with anything?

Do you honestly believe that Randy's motives are to not be successful?

Shit point. I could ask you the same about McLeish.

No. All you are doing is demonstrating & confirming  your perfect hindsight.

I repeat, anybody can be critical.

Can you be constructive?

To be frank, your constant vilification of Randy Lerner has become a total bore.

No. All you are doing is demonstrating & confirming your perfect hindsight.

Don't judge everyone by your lack of understanding.

Nothing to do with hindsight to know that houllier, mcleish and paying championship wages would result in struggle.

Edited by Big_John_10

Nothing to do with hindsight to know that houllier, mcleish and paying championship wages would result in struggle.

My understanding is that Randy Lerner is a better Chairman than you & you are in no position to demonstrate otherwise.

My understanding is that Randy Lerner is a better Chairman than you & you are in no position to demonstrate otherwise.

Haha hands down the worst argument I've ever read on here.

Go and use that logic to shout down every critical post about any manager or player we've ever had.

Haha brilliant.

Go and use that logic to shout down every critical post about any manager or player we've ever had.

Haha brilliant.

If you are correct in that deduction it also means that you have also actually lost the worst argument that you have ever read on here.

Work it out for your self.

Haha brilliant.

If you are correct in that deduction it also means that you have also actually lost the worst argument that you have ever read on here.

Work it out for your self.

Haha it shows how bad Lerner is that your big defence of him is he's a better chairman than me.

No. It merely highlights that your constant criticisms of him are way over the top & that you are totally incapable of defending yourself & proving your credentials in direct comparison vis a vis Randy Lerner.

You are not the Chairman & you have still not come up with one single positive reason as to why you're a better man than Randy.

One final conundrum:

Who is the one with the ego? You or Randy.

I'll give you a clue -  It's not the current Aston Villa Chairman.

incapable of defending your self & proving your credentials in direct comparison vis a vis Randy Lerner.

What on earth are you on about? Like I said this stupid point could be made to anyone who is critical about the manager or player. Did you say this to people who questioned or were critical of heskey? Doug? McLeish? Of course you didn't.

I think you know. We're talking about fees and more importantly wages to be able to compete. Last january the net spend wasn't a ridiculous difference between us and Newcastle but I bet the wages paid to those players was.

But Newcastle United owe £265M to their owner, so at some point they will have to do the same cost cutting that we have had to, or Ashley will have to sell at huge loss and right off the debt.

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/new-report-reveals-how-much-money-newcastle-united-owe-mike-ashley/

Edited by dukes

Football is like the housing boom and it's all going to come crashing down with a bang. Forget all the clubs in England who are in debt, Spain is twice as bad. Spending money way beyond your means will eventually catch up with you. Basic economics will tell you that.

My problem with Lerner is that he isn't even spending within the clubs means. Yes, of course cut back, but don't turn off the tap completely

Edited by HeyAnty
  • Like 1

You are not the Chairman & you have still not come up with one single positive reason as to why you're a better man than Randy.

Well i have no failed marriages, i haven't spent a fortune of my families money and struggle to get it all back and i haven't pissed off thousands of people in two different countries.

• Like 1

I admit at first I was fooled by the glitz and hype of Lerner! That's all it was though, the Holte pub is now a great white elephant, the world class training facilities which now houses a bunch of mediocre players, a badge that  looks like a 5 year old drew it, the communication with the fans from the board which abruptly stopped when the questions got difficult and let's not forget the scarves and flags?

To be honest I would love to see John as Chairman before Lerner!

Would John have appointed an out of date dinosaur with a unfortunate history of health problems as manager? Doubt it!

Would John have appointed McLeish as manager? Hell no! No Villa fan would have, we could all see it was going to be a car accident!

Would he have thought I know MON employed a lot of over paid, poor players, let's get some more? No!

Would he then get the shits and shut up shop? Well if you don't reallise that can only end in disaster without the use of hindsight! 

You don't need hindsight to point out Lerner's persistent mistakes, just half a brain cell. Lerner makes the Venkys look like Stephen Hawking!  

We have been very, very lucky not to end up in the Championship in the last 3 years and Lerner has only hindered us with his decisions.

I don't care if he's a nice bloke or has the best intentions for the club. He needs to go because he is a blithering idiot!

For all we know newcastle have a plan and unlike us will not just collapse and struggle for 4 years. If we were a club that had been run better we wouldn't have to hope for other clubs to be run badly so that we can compete with them again.

What if (as looks to be the case) Newcastle don't have any success having overspent on transfers and wages ? What plan can they possibly have that enables them to continue on the same or a reduced turnover and pay back a debt of £265M ?

We had a plan, Manchester City raised the stakes and MON in the end wasn't up to the job, that left us in the mire financially, and MON was such a spoilt brat and acidic man that he timed his departure to do the maximum damage to us as fans and to Lerner personally. Lerner then put his faith in two more managers and backed them with decent funding when he should at that time have said enough is enough and tightened the purse strings. It took the unsuccessful further spending of McLeish (and to a lesser extent Houllier), before he finally said enough is enough.

I agree, Lerner messed up in appointing McLeish, that was never going to work and anybody with half a brain could have told him that, but I honestly would have liked to have seen what Houllier could have done with a summer of spending, he supposedly had Cabeye and Sissoko lined up to sign (and for not huge fees), and i think he did the right thing in segregating the bad apples left over from MON. http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-we-would-have-signed-newcastle-184968

I just think we have to ride out these tough times, and wait until either we're able to sign players of a higher calibre (in that £7 to £10M bracket), or a new buyer comes along. One of these must surely happen this summer.

Lerner is turning out at a better version of Doug. Keeping the club on level terms, but not capable of taking the club upwards. In football you can't get better by spending within your means. You simple have to speculate that overspending will generate more income. Or you have to be able to bring on new channels of revenue, Lerner has failed doing both.  

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â