The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Again, the above is not a defence of anything

Of course it is. Because like so many of our issues resulting from Lerner's poor decision making its just shrugged off with comments like

That's the past. Blame who you like. One man or a collection of people.

No problem really because it was Randy Lerner.

It looks like a route to a better financial situation and a better financial situation will, or ought, to be better for the playing side of the club.

And as our finances improve so have other teams. Unfortunately not all teams have an owner as useless as lerner, meaning that we can't really hope teams financially implode like we did when finishing high in the league.

So while we're better off our competition will be enjoying the extra TV revenue which once again will make it a difficult task to finish in the top half.

Rarely finished in the bottom half of the prem before Lerner arrived and now looking like a 3rd bottom half finish in a row. But no problem, the past is the past.

Of course it is.

You didn't read the words, did you?

Clearly did and like with most issues that have come from poor decision making its just shrugged off, regardless of the future implications to the club.

Shrugged off?

Whatever...have a nice rest of the day, John.

He's improved our finances (as you've said yourself) rectifying the financial mistakes he made in the past and you're still chastising him. It's just an insane vendetta John, that's all it is. 

This is all well and good, but unless the next step is to re-invest money into the team, it is meaningless.

We'll just end up being the best run club in the championship.

Edited by dodgyknees

He's improved our finances (as you've said yourself) rectifying the financial mistakes he made in the past and you're still chastising him. It's just an insane vendetta John, that's all it is.

And I find it insane that the club you support can now be in its 4th year of shit football, average results and relegation concern and you still have no real issues with the owner, what he's done and what the future may be.

• Like 3

Of course it is.

Clearly did and like with most issues that have come from poor decision making its just shrugged off, regardless of the future implications to the club.

Shrugged off?

Been having the same argument for the last couple of years and all we've seen is club records broken and relegation worry. And yes I think you and a few others simply shrug off massive mistakes that have cost us and jepordise what we can do in the future.

Of course it is.

Shrugged off?

Been having the same argument for the last couple of years and all we've seen is club records broken and relegation worry. And yes I think you and a few others simply shrug off massive mistakes that have cost us and jepordise what we can do in the future.

John I think what Pete (Blandy) is saying is that what has happened has happened and whose fault that was at this moment in time is pretty irrelevant. Some solely blame Lerner, some pin most of the blame on Mon some a mixture of all those involved at the club over the last 6 years or so.

I think in general this club has spent far too long looking back and taken far too long to get itself back on an even keel. Having decided that costs needed to be cut at the end of the Mon era the very next season we spent the best part of 30 mill in January and put 150k+ onto the wage bill  for permanent and loan signings. The club therefore it seems realised it was ill but didn't take its medicine instead continued to live the same lifestyle that had made it ill in the first place.

Had we have started to go down the route we have under Lambert at the end of the Mon era we would not have ended up with Ireland, Bent, Makoun, Hutton, Given, NZogbia putting a massive drain on an already bloated wage bill whilst contributing very little (with the exception of Bent for his first 12 months).

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though I guess. I would however like to have thought those responsible would have made much better decisions than they have. We have struggled for 4 seasons now and I think managed properly we could have been back on an even keel much sooner.

In all fairness though going forward it doesn't really matter who was to blame for what happened previously. We are where we are. What matters is that lessons were learned from those past mistakes and we ensure that we don't make them again.

The bottom line for me now is that this squad needs substantial investment and we should by now be in a position to provide it. I am hoping we see signs of that being the case very soon otherwise the seasons of struggle will have counted for nothing.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

The bottom line for me now is that this squad needs substantial investment and we should by now be in a position to provide it. I am hoping we see signs of that being the case very soon otherwise the seasons of struggle will have counted for nothing.

100% agree with this. And my concern is that our low league finishes will effect the amount of investment we will see. I'm concerned that the poor way this club has been run will now see a top half league finish something we will struggle to manage in the future.

John, Blandy was meeting you halfway and trying to keep the debate balanced. Blaming Lerner for everything is ridiculous.

And assuming that those of us who don't blame him for everything are 'defending' is also ridiculous.

Football clubs in general are not run very well, as there is far too much emotion involved, usually from the owners and supporters.

• Like 1

If Lerner is just reigning in the spending just to recoup his losses would it really surprise people? I mean, there can't be many if any, that think he's still interested in any kind of success. It appears now that all he wants to do his get his money back and sell up ASAP. I personally wouldn't mind if he stayed on as owner, just as long as he started from scratch and doesn't make the same mistakes again. But, he still has to pump a substantial amount of money into into the club if we're ever to challenge for anything. What may go against is the fact that Wigan and Swansea won the domestic last season. Maybe Lerner would see that as good enough for us, who knows?

What annoys me is the fact he halted O'Neill 's spending but then he continued it with the next two managers. If he wanted to continue spending why not continue giving the money to MON? If it's because he didn't think he was doing any good, why let it get to the stage it did?

John, Blandy was meeting you halfway and trying to keep the debate balanced. Blaming Lerner for everything is ridiculous.

And assuming that those of us who don't blame him for everything are 'defending' is also ridiculous.

Football clubs in general are not run very well, as there is far too much emotion involved, usually from the owners and supporters.

& some supporters have perfect hindsight & are reluctant to give credit to Randy Lerner under any circumstances whatsoever.

This begs the question why aren't they themselves the Chairman?

Might have something to do with not inheriting my dads billions of dollars.

For a few who claim not to defend him they do a lot of defending of him.

So you honestly believe over the last 2 years we've been able to financially compete with Newcastle? Did you see last January?

And well dodged.

I'll ask again. Have the last 3 years made it easier or harder?

I saw last January, yes, it appears they spent approximately 7-8M net. We spent 2M net.

Did you see this summer when they spent nothing, but we spent approximately 16M net?

I'll say it again - what's your measure of whether it is easier or harder to compete?

Might have something to do with not inheriting my dads billions of dollars.

But that is not Randy's fault is it? And even by your own admission it put's him in a stronger position than you.

You'll have to come up with a much more convincing argument than that I'm afraid.

Any one can be critical.

Do you honestly believe that Randy's motives are to not be successful?

Randy is a new Chairman to Premier League football & is on a learning curve. His intentions are & shall remain honourable.

The new dispensation had to be applied otherwise we may possibly have ended up being bankrupt.

I personally much prefer an actual Chairman with prescience as opposed to a fanciful one with perfect hindsight.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â