The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I agree that Lerner does need to provide Lambert with funds.

But if it was your money and the record we have in purchases,would you feel tentative/dubious.

....I'm bloody sure you would.

I'm happy with the signings he has made that cost more than £2m (ish)

Benteke, off form but a very good signing. Kozak, scored very important goals and looked like he could get better too and Okore has great potential and would have been a great help this season.

Even Vlaar (2.5m?) was a good signing.

The ones we struggle with are those that are cheap "chances" - which have shown both the good and the bad in their time here.

I trust the judgement when the money is there.

I would not have bought a big striker....I would have tried to buy one with the build/stature of Suarez or our own Dean Saunders, ones that can work a defence and create their own chances....I.e Danny Ings

I think we concentrated too much on the big man up front, they are becoming a bit of a DInosaur, defenders to day are becoming more sophisticated in nullifying them.

But if it was your money and the record we have in purchases,would you feel tentative/dubious.

Benteke, off form but a very good signing. Kozak, scored very important goals and looked like he could get better too and Okore has great potential and would have been a great help this season.

The ones we struggle with are those that are cheap "chances" - which have shown both the good and the bad in their time here.

I would not have bought a big striker....I would have tried to buy one with the build/stature of Suarez or our own Dean Saunders, ones that can work a defence and create their own chances....I.e Danny Ings

I think we concentrated too much on the big man up front, they are becoming a bit of a DInosaur, defenders to day are becoming more sophisticated in nullifying them.

Yep, I sort of agree with you here and did think this at the time. Kozak has been worth his money so far - but I do think somebody like Ings would have been a perfect signing.

Same here. I would have signed an AM. Big players are usually useless unless chances are created for them. Very rarely you get a Berbatov or even Benteke who can create something out of nothing. Personally, i dont know why managers sign players who are not comfortable on the ball. I just dont understand it. The way Wenger works is the way i would sign players. Even as defenders.. no point being a big unit who wins the ball and then just gives it straight back to them with a long ball.

• Like 1

Fawaz Al Hasawi at the Forest game today. I forgot other chairmen and owners actually go to their club's games! :D

Like joe Lewis and jack Hayward

Guys that put bundles of money in their clubs....stick to the real issues, not side swipes

Just concentrate on improving " shit football"

Ps Doug Ellis went to every game and still does, didn't do us much good, did it?

You mean winning two league cups and qualifying for Europe pretty regularly?

Nah not much.

I'm not saying the chairman turning up means we'll win anything, but at least it shows the fans he gives a crap.

Maybe TRO was talking about Ellis taking us all the way down to the old third division and then later dismantling the European cup team, resulting in relegation to the 2nd division :detect:

I was merely saying the owner attending is nice, but in the whole scheme of things it's an irrelevancy......we have much bigger fish to fry.

Provided the right staff are in place and are all doing good jobs and they have access to manageable funds.....the owner can live in Antarctica for me.

Same here. I would have signed an AM. Big players are usually useless unless chances are created for them. Very rarely you get a Berbatov or even Benteke who can create something out of nothing. Personally, i dont know why managers sign players who are not comfortable on the ball. I just dont understand it. The way Wenger works is the way i would sign players. Even as defenders.. no point being a big unit who wins the ball and then just gives it straight back to them with a long ball.

I think Lambert felt we were creating enough chances last season (and even at the beginning of this) and so he would be a good addition to the squad. Unfortunately our players seem to struggle with the simple things right now and thus the signing of Kozak doesn't look like good judgement... We certainly need a shake up in the squad, these players need to stop thinking they cannot be replaced, give them competition and a chance to rest, I think it will benefit the whole team.

That's the best possible squad that £43m could have got us?  Balls.  Lambert's bought four full backs, all of whom are absolute garbage.  He could have bought two decent players for the same money, and not released Lichaj. 

Lichaj, easily beaten and slow as hell.

Good long throw though.

Funny how players become great when they leave us, even if when playing for us they were rubbish.

I didn't say he was great at all though but he was at least as good if not better than Luna and Bennett.

That's the best possible squad that £43m could have got us?  Balls.  Lambert's bought four full backs, all of whom are absolute garbage.  He could have bought two decent players for the same money, and not released Lichaj. 

Lichaj, easily beaten and slow as hell.

Good long throw though.

Funny how players become great when they leave us, even if when playing for us they were rubbish.

I didn't say he was great at all though but he was at least as good if not better than Luna and Bennett.

Not in his performances at VIlla he wasn't. He was a liability - and even worse when it was him and Collins, both trying to win the "most fouls given away on the edge of the area" award.

Yep, I sort of agree with you here and did think this at the time. Kozak has been worth his money so far - but I do think somebody like Ings would have been a perfect signing.

Dodgy....I'm no scout and I don't know who us around, but Danny Ings is just a simple example of young, good feet, eye for goal....there must be loads around Europe, but we must also have the ability to get the best out of them at BMH.

Could the money have been spent better? Of course it could. But when you are shopping with a budget in mind, you tend to find players who fit the budget before they fit the team.

Dodgy....I'm no scout and I don't know who us around, but Danny Ings is just a simple example of young, good feet, eye for goal....there must be loads around Europe, but we must also have the ability to get the best out of them at BMH.

Maybe we don't have a huge scouting budget for abroad? Costs are being cut left right and centre, maybe this is one of the things we are losing out on. 

I also agree, we need to get the best out of those at BMH - the problem I see when I watch games is players relax too easily, spend the rest of the time scared witless or pass the ball blind - and of course, we are so bloody static.. PL can put them out with the plan, but if they are not moving, not passing and missing easy chances, he cannot do much more.

I've heard the management shout "keep it on the floor" a number of times, I think the  hoof ball is panic mode for players who have nobody to grab the game by the scruff of the neck around them.

I understand that there are oodles of mitigating circumstances.....and there will always be instances where we could have bought better.....but be careful we don't start drifting in to acceptable.

Now we have the wages under control, there should be no excuses.

Paul Lambert should be saying if the new recruits are not better than we have....I won't buy them. It's his Ability to trade that is a major component in him staying in the job, he will know that.

We have to stop buying sub standard players. It's the manager and his staff that are responsible for improving the quality of the playing squad. If he is being denied the necessary funds, then the job is untenable.

If he just signs players to fit a budget and we all know why he has had to do that, then that had to come to an end at some stage, because you can't build a team like that.....he has to take a view at some stage, where if he can't bring in who he wants, within reason, he brings in no one.

If we are to build a team, it has to be on the basis of horses for courses or round pegs in round holes and square pegs in square holes.

There will come a time when there will be no mitigating circumstances and he live or die by his signings.

They all do, in one way or another.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

I understand that there are oodles of mitigating circumstances.....and there will always be instances where we could have bought better.....but be careful we don't start drifting in to acceptable.

Now we have the wages under control, there should be no excuses.

Paul Lambert should be saying if the new recruits are not better than we have....I won't buy them. It's his Ability to trade that is a major component in him staying in the job, he will know that.

We have to stop buying sub standard players. It's the manager and his staff that are responsible for improving the quality of the playing squad. If he is being denied the necessary funds, then the job is untenable.

If he just signs players to fit a budget and we all know why he has had to do that, then that had to come to an end at some stage, because you can't build a team like that.....he has to take a view at some stage, where if he can't bring in who he wants, within reason, he brings in no one.

If we are to build a team, it has to be on the basis of horses for courses or round pegs in round holes and square pegs in square holes.

There will come a time when there will be no mitigating circumstances and he live or die by his signings.

They all do, in one way or another.

Can't argue with that. 

Randy is attending the Arsenal game Monday.

Mmm to discuss transfers?! New manager (hopefully) ?! Selling up?! Or simply watching his club?!

For the first three things he could cover on his regular visits, so I suspect that the fact that he is here for a game is bowing to his detractors.

Worst owner in the league IMO. Would even rather have Vincent Tam in charge. Even he could persuade a manager with experience only in Norway to take the job.

If you can't spell the name of the person that you would rather have in charge, then 'Anyone but Lerner' will do ;)

• Like 1

Worst owner in the league IMO. Would even rather have Vincent Tam in charge. Even he could persuade a manager with experience only in Norway to take the job.

If you can't spell the name of the person that you would rather have in charge, then 'Anyone but Lerner' will do ;)

Haha, I saw my error but didn't bother changing it and thought id wait how long it would take for someone to comment on it. You were quickest to the buzzer mate :)

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â