The Randy Lerner thread

CI

What would you rather?

Top 6 football, European football and the odd cup win with Doug?

Or midtable nothingness with Lerner?

I'd be surprised if anyone chose option 2 because winning and finishing high in the league is what football is all about.

Have to agree, being competitive is what it is about for me. We haven't been this way since 2010.

Why oh why do we have to bring Ellis into it time and time again.

I think it's natural to mention him.

Just like lambert will be spoke about in comparison to past managers and players will be spoke about in comparison to past players.

Why oh why do we have to bring Ellis into it time and time again.

I think it's natural to mention him.

Just like lambert will be spoke about in comparison to past managers and players will be spoke about in comparison to past players.

Why dont you compare it to the 1897 double winning side? Football in that era has nearly as much relevance to current football as football had in Dougs Time. Everything has changed now and its virtually impossible to compete for top 4. If Doug was chairman now i've no doubt we would be down there with wolves in the 1st division Edited by HeyAnty

Martin O'Neill came close to champions league football... my arse.

6th place 3 times in a row and each season we were closer to 4th spot, with his final season finishing 6 points off 4th.

Surely you saying that is like someone saying "we came close to relegation the last two years....my arse".

Which would just be plain wrong.

I don't use the league table as the fixer of all ills and the case in question I did not buy Martin o'neills brand of football. I was never sold on his brand like some folk was. I felt there was area's of the team that was good and others that simply struggled to show any kind of control or guile.

The fact that we have been worse since he left has no testimony to the arguement.. As they say two wrongs don't make a right.

Paul lambert is still a long way off getting us to respectability in terms of league table position, however the form guide will argue with that and the passing and movement gives indications we are getting better.

We have players now on the way up, as opposed to on the way down in terms of their individual development, so it is fair to say the indicators are good.

Anyone who witnessed the Saunders years, despite the difference in era, will draw parallels and identify the similarities.

Nothing is guaranteed in football, but in my view the signs are good.

What would you rather?

I'd be surprised if anyone chose option 2 because winning and finishing high in the league is what football is all about.

Why choose those 2 options?  Under Lerner we had 3 top 6 finishes, a cup final and two semi finals.  Hopefully because we gambled by not gambling in January, Lambert will have a clean slate to work with as we make our way back up the league again.  Randy has tried to correct the mistakes of the past where he let the managers write off tens of millions of his money on utter shite, that is all I ask for at the moment.

We can all argue the toss of how the money was spent during O'Neills time and that so and so players were being paid way over the odds. The most startling fact from that time is though that whilst finishing sixth three times on the spin we had the eighth, sixth and sixth highest wage bill and couldn't sustain that level. Whichever way you slice the cake to compete at a level that I certainly believe this club should be you are eventually going to have to pay a level of wages that reflects that position. Lerner for whatever reason was unable to get income up to a level to sustain paying wages that reflected a club finishing in the top 6 and that for me is his biggest failing along with a couple of very poor managerial choices. He corrected the managerial mistakes I am though not at all confident he will correct the other failing.

I agree. Whilst we aren't we the richest club in the league - I really don't why the likes of stoke, sunderland, newcastle, west ham can blow us out of the water in the transfer market.

Of course the flaw with the young and hungry approach - is that players won't stay at villa on 25kpw - when everyone else is paying £40kpw

• Like 1

We can all argue the toss of how the money was spent during O'Neills time and that so and so players were being paid way over the odds. The most startling fact from that time is though that whilst finishing sixth three times on the spin we had the eighth, sixth and sixth highest wage bill and couldn't sustain that level. Whichever way you slice the cake to compete at a level that I certainly believe this club should be you are eventually going to have to pay a level of wages that reflects that position. Lerner for whatever reason was unable to get income up to a level to sustain paying wages that reflected a club finishing in the top 6 and that for me is his biggest failing along with a couple of very poor managerial choices. He corrected the managerial mistakes I am though not at all confident he will correct the other failing.

I agree. Whilst we aren't we the richest club in the league - I really don't why the likes of stoke, sunderland, newcastle, west ham can blow us out of the water in the transfer market.

Of course the flaw with the young and hungry approach - is that players won't stay at villa on 25kpw - when everyone else is paying £40kpw

Yes this is what im scared of. You will get so far then good players will want to leave and play in CL if they are good enough. Perfect example is Bentekke this summer. We are scared we will loose him after he played really well for a season. And if the player says they want to go there is F all the club can do as we found out over the past 5 years.

But there is no alternative, we tried the other approach under MON and it put us in massive debt

We had clubs blowing us out of the water during Ron Saunders reign, but that didn't stop us from achieving.

Man utd went 25years with winning relatively nothing, prior to ferguson,whilst still being one of the biggest clubs in the world.

It's all about opinions, but in my view, it's all about managers.

Sure you need money, but it's how you spend it for me.

• Like 1

I'm simply not as convinced as some, that Lerner is a bad egg.

I believe he has made mistakes for sure and subsequently austerity measures have had to be implemented,to correct those mistakes.

Hey for all intents and purposes, it's his money.

Both the ground, body moor and the holte pub have received investment and I don't know about you but despite scrapping the barrel in relative terms , I was ashamed when I walked past the holte pub in hde's tenure.

We have bought some duffers with randy's doe..... Hopefully moving forward, he will gain confidence in Lamberts prudence and gradually release the necessary funds to compete.

Ask yourself this question

How many poor signings could Bill Kenwright have underwritten.... Not as many as Randy had to swallow.... But then, David Moyes never subjected him to that.

• Like 1

We had clubs blowing us out of the water during Ron Saunders reign, but that didn't stop us from achieving.

Man utd went 25years with winning relatively nothing, prior to ferguson,whilst still being one of the biggest clubs in the world.

I would disagree - The Manu's Tottehams, could blow us out of the water. But not west ham, southampton, sunderland

I believe he has made mistakes for sure and subsequently austerity measures have had to be implemented,to correct those mistakes.

Hey for all intents and purposes, it's his money.

Both the ground, body moor and the holte pub have received investment and I don't know about you but despite scrapping the barrel in relative terms , I was ashamed when I walked past the holte pub in hde's tenure.

What is his money ? 

Like I have said before, what is the point of a billionaire owner, who won't invest in the club ?

I believe he has made mistakes for sure and subsequently austerity measures have had to be implemented,to correct those mistakes.Hey for all intents and purposes, it's his money.

What is his money ? 

Like I have said before, what is the point of a billionaire owner, who won't invest in the club ?

But he has, we have just Wasted it.

• Like 2

I would disagree - The Manu's Tottehams, could blow us out of the water. But not west ham, southampton, sunderland

So West Ham, Southampton and Sunderland have out flanked us in terms of the transfer market, despite us signing sunderlands prized asset Darren bent against their will and Southampton selling their prized assets in Walcott, bale and chamberlain, don' t remember lambert being a record breaking transfer fee despite his prolific scoring rate.

Would you really hold those teams up as the testimony to big Money signings being the holy grail ? Or am I misunderstanding you.

It's about prudence, not how deep your pockets are.

There has been some debate about how often RL has been to VP this year. I was told by one of the Villa execs at the weekend that the last game he attended was the 0-3 defeat to Wigan but he couldn't recall if/when he had been to another game during the season. He said that Lerner was coming over sometime in the next 1-2 weeks.

IMO all the signs are that he would sell but due to the financial situation that is not going to happen in the next few years. In terms of whether he is good/ bad for Villa and whether a new owner would make a difference, for now I think it totally academic as it isn't going to happen.

Now that we have a manager with potential and a plan based on tight financial controls, beyond giving PL reasonable backing in the summer I think RL's role as the owner of our club is effectively to take an even further back seat. I doubt we will see much of him again next season UNLESS we start to excel. I think he now has a manager that he trusts and will let him get on with it - within set budgets.

What would you rather?

Why choose those 2 options?  Under Lerner we had 3 top 6 finishes, a cup final and two semi finals.  Hopefully because we gambled by not gambling in January, Lambert will have a clean slate to work with as we make our way back up the league again.  Randy has tried to correct the mistakes of the past where he let the managers write off tens of millions of his money on utter shite, that is all I ask for at the moment.

Don't you think thats quite a low expectation to have of your owner? To correct a mistake. That should be the bare minimum of whaf any decent owner should do.

And the question was aimed at the minority that seem to put other things before actually winning. I'd be interested to know how much they truly value some of the other things.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â