The Randy Lerner thread

CI

One things for sure, Lerner didnt buy Villa for a hobby. Hes a business man and he wants a profit. How he does this is anyones guess. Getting rid of high earners is a good start

Which businesses does the businessman own? He ceased to be a businessman some time ago

You think villa isnt a business to him? Sorry to burst your bubble but thats exactly what it is.

Sorry to burst yours but if Villa was a business it would have gone to the wall some time ago. It's debts are about twice the size of its value

What is it then?

A hobby gone wrong, ruined by some bad investments and a divorce

• Like 1

There are none so blind.

What are we missing?
What you want to miss.
Ok.I think that could be probably be said about those who disagree with me also.
It could be, if both sides of the argument were making equal amounts of sense. Everyone's entitled to their opinion but they are not entitled to have it taken seriously. There are thousands of pages of discussion on here discussing the broader picture around why we finished where we did and why it won't happen next season. Those still moaning about our league position seem to be the ones with the narrowest field of vision, looking almost completely at the league table as the beginning and end of their argument because it is what fits their point of view. That's fine, but it's also utter bollocks IMHO.

Being critical of Lerner for how the clubs been run is utter bollocks? Being critical of Lerner for our last two years being our lowest ever points totals in the Prem is utter bollocks? I'd be interested to know why you think that.

Considering we wanted the last owner out when we were a comfortable premiership team I think criticism to our current owner for the low level he's taken the club is fully justified at the moment.

Being critical of Lerner for how the clubs been run is utter bollocks? Being critical of Lerner for our last two years being our lowest ever points totals in the Prem is utter bollocks? I'd be interested to know why you think that.

Considering we wanted the last owner out when we were a comfortable premiership team I think criticism to our current owner for the low level he's taken the club is fully justified at the moment.

Let's just see what the summer and next season brings. Then if it all pans out the way I think it will, those who were negative can just say "well that's all we ever wanted anyway".

Let's just see what the summer and next season brings. Then if it all pans out the way I think it will, those who were negative can just say "well that's all we ever wanted anyway".

We'll see I suppose.  However, the fact that he didn't strengthen the team in January after a truly dismal first half to the year spoke volumes.  If we get to the end of next season intact, THEN he might start to spend money again as that's when the new TV money hits home and we'll hopefully have another few big earners off the books, but I wouldn't expect much this summer.

Being critical of Lerner for how the clubs been run is utter bollocks? Being critical of Lerner for our last two years being our lowest ever points totals in the Prem is utter bollocks? I'd be interested to know why you think that.Considering we wanted the last owner out when we were a comfortable premiership team I think criticism to our current owner for the low level he's taken the club is fully justified at the moment.

What will the summer bring that we've never had before?

Like I said some seem to be happy because our current owner MIGHT try to take us to a level that under the last owner was deemed unacceptable. It just doesn't make sense.

I think lambert will probably be backed again. Am I supposed to be impressed with the owner when we're a midtable club? Is that why we desperately wanted Doug gone so we could live the dream of midtable football?

He'll be gone soon IMHO. Cannot wait for that day.

I think we need to be careful what we wish for.

We could have said that when Doug was still in charge.

Not the same IMO. Fair enough if you feel differently, I can see arguments on both sides.

Or, we might actually get somebody who will benefit us, not put us in debt, not spend like a kid in a sweet shop, then raid his friends money jar because he didn't actually want all those sweets but can't get rid, somebody who will have a good long term plan which doesn't involve more cut backs than from a Conservative government.. 

In before the Venkys mention, I guess.

We'd have been relegated the very next season under Doug, we were only going in one direction.

I still much prefer Lerner to Ellis

• Like 1

Or, we might actually get somebody who will benefit us, not put us in debt, not spend like a kid in a sweet shop, then raid his friends money jar because he didn't actually want all those sweets but can't get rid, somebody who will have a good long term plan which doesn't involve more cut backs than from a Conservative government.. 

I think Lerner had a long term plan, but it failed, largely because it was relied too heavily on the auspices of MON, who isn't a long-term planner. It was an ambitious plan at the best of times, to get us into the Champions League, and to be fair to O'Neill we came close. The problem was that the cost was too high and couldn't be recouped because the players were average and they were on exorbitant salaries.

After a couple of years in the wilderness we're now on long-term plan no.2. It's a different sort of plan, more cautious and prudent, but it is, at least, being enacted by a long-term planner in Paul Lambert, and it shouldn't ruin the club if it goes belly up.

We'd have been relegated the very next season under Doug, we were only going in one direction.

Maybe. We'd had bad seasons before under Doug and improved the following year. Should not be forgotten that the points total we had in that final year under Doug was higher than we've managed the last 2 years.

I still much prefer Lerner to Ellis

I'm not so sure. I think with his age it was time for a new owner but I think the premiership years under Doug were as good if not better than what we've seen under Lerner and I'm not sure Lerner will be able to achieve anything that we didn't achieve with Doug in charge. Edited by Big_John_10

I think Lerner had a long term plan, but it failed, largely because it was relied too heavily on the auspices of MON, who isn't a long-term planner. It was an ambitious plan at the best of times, to get us into the Champions League, and to be fair to O'Neill we came close. The problem was that the cost was too high and couldn't be recouped because the players were average and they were on exorbitant salaries.

After a couple of years in the wilderness we're now on long-term plan no.2. It's a different sort of plan, more cautious and prudent, but it is, at least, being enacted by a long-term planner in Paul Lambert, and it shouldn't ruin the club if it goes belly up.

Martin O'Neill came close to champions league football...  my arse.

In terms of league position you may be edging towards a point,( but with the exception of one season we struggled to finish 6th) but in real terms of footballing substance we were light years away. half the team couldn't trap a bag of cement.It was as brittle as it could be good. There was little consistency and again the home record was not consistent for a team with champions league aspirations.

you cannot aspire to champions league football with "hoofball" the opposition defenders will eat you alive.

Lerner, was let down and subsequently went on to make his own mistakes.

Lambert , just needs some patience and a reasonable amount of money.

I think Lamaberts plan has a great deal of credence....Lerner needs to gain some confidence back that he has a manager that is on the right lines.

we'll be ok.

Martin O'Neill came close to champions league football... my arse.

6th place 3 times in a row and each season we were closer to 4th spot, with his final season finishing 6 points off 4th.

Surely you saying that is like someone saying "we came close to relegation the last two years....my arse".

Which would just be plain wrong.

I'm unsure what what an owner would need to do to impress you. If it's the club winning something, or finishing high up, then that's kind of fair enough as a way of looking at things. It's not the way I look at it, but each to their own, I guess

Surely the whole point of competitive sport is to win.

That's what sport is, that's what competition is. It's the whole point of professional sports.

Being a midtable club with a chairman who ticks some of those boxes is no different to being a midtable team with an owner who doesn't tick those boxes IMO.

Who really leaves the ground after a loss and doesn't mind because the club is a responsible member of the community? Or who gets more enjoyment from a win because the club treats people well?

Fair enough if all those things you mention mean so much to you. Like you say each to their own.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â