The Randy Lerner thread

CI

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Dave to expand a bit. He didnt write it off.  He converted SOME of it to equity giving himself more shares in the company, creating ,more shares that need buying once the company is sold.

Yes, but that doesn't directly affect the valuation of the club, which is why the debt was written off. The immediate affect may have been a slight increase in valuation. Since Randy bought the club, the TV deal has gone from being a pot of £1bn over 3 years to the new deal of £5.1bn over 3 years. On that alone the value of the club should have increased (by way more than £70M).

Last season Villa were paid around £68M for TV, and that was on the old deal. Thats is why Villa is still the 22nd Richest club in world football (according to Deloittes 2013/2014 figures).

In the current scheme of things buying a club in the Premier League tomorrow for £150M would mean receiving close to £105M each of the next 3 seasons.....just for standing still and surviving, problem is we won't be a Premier League club next season, meaning we most likely will get around £60M (for bottom place) and then £86M over the next three years in parachute payments (plus whatever deal the championship clubs have in place), however even then the lure of £105M per year would still probably be enough to justify the £150M price tag.

Randy "Better the Devil You Know" "The Custodian" Lerner

Owner of Aston Villa.

Soon to be ultimately responsible for:

1. Relegating us from the PL for the first time ever

2. Worst ever league performance 

Yep "better the devil you know".......

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Randy "Better the Devil You Know" "The Custodian" Lerner

Owner of Aston Villa.

Soon to be ultimately responsible for:

1. Relegating us from the PL for the first time ever

2. Worst ever league performance 

Yep "better the devil you know".......

I've been back 4 pages, but can't find anywhere where anyone has suggested that.

1 minute ago, dukes said:

I've been back 4 pages, but can't find anywhere where anyone has suggested that.

Which bit? Lerner described himself as a Custodian and on a more than a few occasions many individuals have suggested that the alternatives to Lerner may be worse. Whether they used the exact phrase "better the devil you know" is academic, the sentiments expressed amount to same thing. 

I give up on the accountancy stuff.

It's pretty simple whether you call it debts, owed, shares, or potatoes.

The amount of money that has left his pocket WILL clearly impact upon the price we are then offered for.

If it didn't, why not offer us free, or for a pound ?

All that is suggested is that he lowers the amonut he gets back, again, however an accountant would call it.

We all agree if the asking price were £1 someone would buy it ?

So somewhere between £1 and whatever he is asking would result in an immediate sale whilst being the highest amount he could get.

TRO I won't quote all your post but whilst I agree with much of it you say his " absence" wouldn't matter ifhired were up to it.

I think it would, because its his absence, in emotional and physical terms, that is behind the overall malaise. Whoever owns the Club can BE absent but can't be disinterested.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BOF said:

Yeah I think you've got the bones of a good point there TRO.  Again, acknowledging that you're not defending him, I do think it is he who has hired the bad people, or hired the people who hired the bad people.  Ultimately the buck stops with him, and another element to his absence would be that if he sees something happening that he doesn't like; albeit from afar; then he is duty-bound to step in and rectify it.  His level of investment may very well be another discusion, but his level of absenteeism is not, and I think that's where he has failed too.  It perhaps gives a more accurate insight into his real levels of interest, rather than the soundbites from Fox saying how much Randy still cares.  Actions speak louder than words and his actions have been few, far between and often ill-judged.

As for better the devil you know.  We're sinking without a trace now, and while that's still no guarantee that the next person will be any better, there does come a point where you try the other devil within reason.  After all, we jumped from he-who-shall-not-be-named to Lerner before it got this bad before.  Which is saying something.

equally well put and I accept your reasoning.

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

The amount of money that has left his pocket WILL clearly impact upon the price we are then offered for.

All that is suggested is that he lowers the amonut he gets back, again, however an accountant would call it.

So somewhere between £1 and whatever he is asking would result in an immediate sale whilst being the highest amount he could get.

TRO I won't quote all your post but whilst I agree with much of it you say his " absence" wouldn't matter ifhired were up to it.

I think it would, because its his absence, in emotional and physical terms, that is behind the overall malaise. Whoever owns the Club can BE absent but can't be disinterested.

Terry, can I quote Ron Bendall, he was always in the IOM, But we still managed great success despite him.

HDE was always accused of interfering, so he was never welcome.

Further more if Cloughie was alive and with us.........I'm sure he would be highly delighted with RL's Absence. Thats the way he liked to manage.

Our problem is ....We can't find people to do the job in many posts.....I'll bet they put up a good shout in their interviews.

I accept that there is many factors contributing to our demise, but I also think some are more pronounced than others and some are more cosmetic than status threatening.

ps If he hired the right people they run the club

pps  Daniel Levy runs Spurs for Joe Walsh.....In terms of discipline he doesn't look the sort to **** with.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, terrytini said:

equally, I have to duck out on the accountancy 1) I haven't got a handle on it sufficiently to debate 2) I find it boring....... with the football side catching up very fast.lol

I think to get RL to do a Jack Hayward is wishful thinking Terry

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He doesn't want this anymore, he doesn't want us anymore. So let's make the bastard as uncomfortable as possible for as long as it takes. Let's get the journalists knocking on his door at least. He will bloody hate that.

Cushty

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, coda said:

5Live just had an extended piece on us which included Joey Barton's thoughts on Lerner and Fox. The word 'muppets' featured heavily.

was he quoting Nietzsche as well?

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

was he quoting Nietzsche as well?

We're gazing into the abyss...

It was a good listen, Chris Sutton as well. They weren't taking the piss and sounded genuinely angry at the demise of our club.

There's a lot of media pissed at the way out team have folded. But they cannot detail our demise without a thought it may upset the old guard. I guess what I mean is, money has mainly killed football.

We all know for example Leicester would never win the League, even if they could.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â