The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I'm not sure he wants to go as much as we want him gone. I also don't trust what he says, he promised a new chairman would be appointed in the summer if no buyer was found but nothing came from that. So I'm reluctant to believe he wants out as much as he claims. I think the club is for sale if he can get enough money. That's not wanting gone, that's happy to stay away until he gets the money he wants. I would like to see more pressure applied to him because while the managers and players have been awful for a long time, this guy has to take a large chunk of the blame for the state we are in.

• Like 4

Yep, I doubt we'll be getting a new owner anytime soon. Would be nice though if while waiting, he ensured that we were as strong as possible. I have big doubts that our net spent in the summer was the maximum the club was able to spend. And it would be nice to see some quality signed in Jan, but given the fact sylla, Dawkins and grant holt are recent signings to help a team struggling to survive, I'm not holding out much hope.

More heat needs to be put on this prick at every game, IMO.

LERNER OUT banners should be raised every week that he continues to destroy the club.

As clueless and ineffective as Sherwood/Lambert/McLeish were, the buck stops with Lerner. 

He needs to go, NOW

He wants to go. He'd probably be waving the banners with us.

Zactly. I can't wait until he's gone either, but the guy has spent a lot of his own money on the club. He might have gone about things in the most idiotic possible way at all times, but he is hardly milking the club for cash. Holding up banners seems a bit mean-spirited and ungrateful, as well as completely pointless.

No one forced him to buy the club. Not sure why I should be grateful that a very wealthy man made some bad decisions with his money. Especially when those bad decisions have led to my enjoyment in something I loved, declining at a rapid pace.

Why would anyone thank him for that?

• Like 4

The last club sold was Fulham. No one wants one of these things, they're a money pit. I have a feeling we're stuck with him for a while yet.

nobody buys football clubs these days, rich idiots have learned is nothing to be gained from it. Heard even Liverpool owners want out

Well some Chinese investors wanted buy us, but it came to nothing because of the economic troubles over there, according to Howard Hodgson, that is. I can't see any reason to disbelieve him. Seems like a similar thing happened at Albion as well.

• Like 1

The last club sold was Fulham. No one wants one of these things, they're a money pit. I have a feeling we're stuck with him for a while yet.

nobody buys football clubs these days, rich idiots have learned is nothing to be gained from it. Heard even Liverpool owners want out

They sell out or nearly sell out Fenway Park (39K) 82 times a season. Imagine Anfield selling out or being close to sold out 82 times season?

At the end of the day, for their baseball operation, the money is in gate receipts and concessions, a much simpler formula than what English football demands.

More heat needs to be put on this prick at every game, IMO.

LERNER OUT banners should be raised every week that he continues to destroy the club.

As clueless and ineffective as Sherwood/Lambert/McLeish were, the buck stops with Lerner. 

He needs to go, NOW

He wants to go. He'd probably be waving the banners with us.

Zactly. I can't wait until he's gone either, but the guy has spent a lot of his own money on the club. He might have gone about things in the most idiotic possible way at all times, but he is hardly milking the club for cash. Holding up banners seems a bit mean-spirited and ungrateful, as well as completely pointless.

Ungrateful?! For what? Turning our club into a laughing stock? 

If you don't think we owe him any gratitude for spending around a hundred million pounds of his dad's money trying to make us successful then fine, but at least allow that holding up banners would be mean-spirited and pointless.

By putting pressure on Lerner to sell, and in order to sell, lowering the price, I think banners wouldn't be pointless at all.

Apathy is pointless.

• Like 1

If you don't think we owe him any gratitude for spending around a hundred million pounds of his dad's money trying to make us successful then fine, but at least allow that holding up banners would be mean-spirited and pointless.

So will you still be showing him some gratitude when we are relegated? He chose to buy the club and as chairman he has made a right mess of it. Mean-spirited? After everything which he has put the fans through I couldn't give a toss about a few banners which say Lerner out on them.

Lerner out, eh? Heh heh. No kidding - he wants out too!

So lets say he takes a "cut-price" bid of 100 mill to the first idiot investor (cause, let's face it, investing in a football club is idiotic). How exactly does that help us?

• Like 1

So will you still be showing him some gratitude when we are relegated? He chose to buy the club and as chairman he has made a right mess of it. Mean-spirited? After everything which he has put the fans through I couldn't give a toss about a few banners which say Lerner out on them.

Yes, I will always be grateful to him for trying to make a difference in a good way.

That is in no way incompatible with wanting him sell ASAP, or thinking of him as someone who's made so many mistakes that overall he's been bad news for Aston Villa.

• Like 2

We owe him nothing but money, which he has been recouping these last 5 years. When he finally goes it's unlikely he will have lost money.

I agree banners are pointless but I totally understand why people might wish to protest against his tenure.

• Like 3

We owe him nothing but money, which he has been recouping these last 5 years. When he finally goes it's unlikely he will have lost money.

I agree banners are pointless but I totally understand why people might wish to protest against his tenure.

My understanding is that he's still been making losses for the last five years - we're obviously a year behind in terms of published accounts, but at the last one's the money was still coming from Lerner to the club, not the other way around. 

• Like 1

People talk about "lowering the price" as if it's knocking 50p off a loaf of bread to get it off the shelf.

You're talking hundreds of millions of pounds.

You're living in dreamland if you think lerner is going to half the selling price of the club just to get rid of it a bit sooner.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â