The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Any man who's thrown silly money, of his own, in to a club is not a bad owner IMO, especially when at no point has it been about ego and money has also been spent outside of the paying staff. It's also a bit hypocritical to demand he gives more money to PL when giving money to a previous manager to spend how he likes is one of the reasons we're in this mess in the first place.

Is there not an in between of what got us in this mess and what we've done under Lambert?

Also not sure I agree that putting your money in means you're not a bad owner. Making bad decisions over and over again makes you a bad owner regardless of the personal wealth you invest.

I can see where you're coming from, but I think there's a certain degree of hindsight too.

I see a comment on here a lot, along the lines of "Just put money into the cub and let the people who know the sport do their jobs" kind of thing. Well, that's what he did under MON and it was a disaster. He trusted an experienced manager and it backfired, badly. Then when he does things of his own accord (manager hirings since) he then gets shit for that too. I stand by what I said in that I don't think he's been a bad owner. Has he made mistakes? Of course he has. But anyone who puts an awful lot of their own money into a club and does good/makes good decisions (which people seem to ignore, often) is not a bad owner. Not saying he's great or even good. I just think those calling him a bad owner are miles off.

...ditto

Brian Clough would have loved Randy

Edited by TRO

Ive just finished reading "the secret footballer - tales from the secret footballer", if you don't know, the SF is an alleged former premier league player who writes a column in the telegraph, and in this book (he's second) he writes about what he wants to do after he has finished playing. He has a chapter where he talks about club ownership, this is a summary of the chapter

He writes about owning an established premier league club, says he knows of a big club from the midlands who have been "down on their luck" for the last 4 seasons, but also has good attendances, has planning permission to take the ground to over 50,000 and, has an owner who's just wants shot to someone who can move the club forward, sounds like Aston Villa?

Heres what got raised my eye brows, he writes that the club is up for sale for £40million.

I'll take a picture of the page tomorrow and put it on here

Edited by Jimzk5

Sounds more like Small Heath @ £40m than us Jimzk5 or say a mix of the situation at the 2 clubs over recent years.

Unless the secret footballer is Becks or his books sell as fast as the Harry Potter ones did I doubt he is likely to be in a position to own us any time soon unless he knows a fake sheikh or two. :)

Really Richard ;-)

Celebrity Fans:

HRH Prince William

PM David Cameron

Actors:

Tom Hanks (actor - or should that be one of the most famous actors in the world?!)

Martin Shaw (actor)

Mark Williams (actor - you might have seen him in Harry Potter! and comedian from the Fast Show)

Brendan Gleeson, (actor, appeared in Braveheart, Troy, Kingdom of Heaven, 28 Days Later, Gangs of New York, Harry Potter films, AI...)

David Bradley (actor, Harry Potter, other films, tv and stage)

Oliver Phelps (actor, twin from Harry Potter)

Pauline McLynn (actress. Played Mrs. Doyle in 'Father Ted')

Ian Lavender (actor, best know as Private Pike in Dads Army)

Chris Marshall - My Family (the tall one), BT ads etc

Jim Hacker, best known as the Prime Minister in TV and Radio Series; Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister.

David Moran, ex-Crossroads actor.

Nessa (Ruth Jones) from Gavin & Stacey!!!!!! (Yes we know Nessa was a fictional character!)

If we're going to go with fictional characters, Lenny Godber from Porridge!

Musicians:

Black Sabbath members Ozzy Osbourne, Geezer Butler, Tony Iomi

Brian Travers (UB40)

Several members of bands Duran Duran

Several members of Ocean Colour Scene

Nigel Kennedy (violinist)

John Lodge of The Moody Blues + we THINK Justin Hayward lead singer of the Moody Blues

Kingstanding lad (Atlantic Road) Steve Winwood of Spencer Davis Group + Traffic fame.

Phil Etheridge from The Twang

Pete Way (bassist with rock band UFO)

Colin Abrahall, lead singer of Brum punk rockers GBH.

Chris Storr (plays trumpet in the Jools Holland Band)

Several members of Napalm Death including lead singer Barney

Scott Gorham original Thin Lizzy guitarist

Khan Morbee - Lead singer of South African Alternative Rock Band - The Parlotones

Presenters:

Dr Carl Chinn MBE (local historian, tv and radio presenter)

Jonny Gould, (media radio/tv broadcaster and commentator)

Emma B (radio1 presenter)

Professor and guardian columnist Marcel Berlins.

Vassos Alexander and Phil Williams (both radio 5 live announcers)

Matthew Bannister (radio 5 live?)

Emma Willis (was Griffiths), MTV presenter and model

Pete Colley - Sky Sports reporter

Floella Benjamin 80's TV Presenter

Radio Highveld DJ Brad Brown

Sports:

Ian Bell (Warwickshire and England cricketer)

Joe Calzaghe - former World boxing Champ

Jim Lewis (owner of the late great Villa fan Best Mate)

Lee Sharpe (?) ex Man Utd

Jane Sixsmith (England Olympic hockey player)

Justin Rose - Golfer

Tom Parsons - high jumper

Craig Kieswetter, Somerset/England cricketer

Mix:

Howard Hodgson (presenter, author, including best seller Six Feet Under)

Benjamin Zepphaniah (poet)

Mervyn King, (Governor of Bank of England )

Jacqui Smith former MP for Redditch and former Home Secretary

Trade Union leader Bill Morris

Lord John Taylor (once briefly in the news when controversially deselected as a black Tory election candidate (Cheltenham, IIRC), also had a brief TV career as a 'legal eagle')

Sir Digby Jones, ex head of the CBI

Mervyn King, Ex Governor of the Bank of England

Lee Child. (Author of books in the Pulp Fiction genre specifically know for his series of Jack Reacher books)

I see the lot of these down Aston every other week. I can vouch for all of them.

Add Marc Bayliss (Rob Donovan) from Corrie as a Villa fan to that list!

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~4197163,00.html

He is best known as Rob Donovan, the man who murdered Tina McIntyre in Coronation Street.
But actor Marc Baylis, the current villain of TV's longest-running soap, is also a Villan off screen.
He has been a claret and blue supporter for as long as he can remember.
"It all started with my uncle Kevin when I was about three," Marc recalls. "He always wore a Villa top and I used to think he played for them!
"I effectively had my team chosen for me because of that. Kevin took me to Villa Park for the first time when I was maybe five or six, although I can't remember too much about my first visits.
"My earliest memory was a midweek game against Crystal Palace in 1987. Mark Walters scored a hat-trick and we won 4-1."
Marc watched his early games from the Trinity Road Stand but it wasn't long before he was standing on the Holte End with his mates, brothers John and Paul "Ginge" Gardener, and Neil Gilder, who all lived on the same estate in his home town of Stourport.
"We had some great times," he says. "But I had a big argument with my parents one evening. Ginge came to our house at around 5pm and said: 'Do you want to come up the Villa?
"My folks didn't want me to go because it was a night game but I wouldn't eat my dinner until they let me!"
Another night under the Villa Park floodlights, a UEFA Cup-tie in 1991, remains one of Marc's best moments as a Villa fan.
"I'll never forget Kent Nielsen's screamer against Inter Milan," he says. "I was with my mates at the back of the Holte End, and the place erupted.
"I would love us to get back into Europe at some point." Marc's other highlights include the 3-1 win over Manchester United on the opening day of the 1995-96 season and the 2-2 Boxing Day draw with Arsenal in 2008, when Zat Knight's last-gasp goal earned a point after Villa had trailed 2-0.
His TV commitments have meant he has hardly been able to attend a game for the past two-and-a-half years but he can't wait to be back, cheering on the lads in the claret and blue.

And with his stint on Coronation Street drawing to a close he intends to be here on a regular basis in the not-too-distant future.

In the meantime, he has to settle for banter with fellow members of the Corrie cast, most of whom follow either Manchester City or United.

"Andy Whyment (Kirk) and Alan Halsall (Tyrone) are both massive United fans and we have a lot of banter between filming," he added.

"I've enjoyed having a dig at them because United haven't been doing so well.

"But they had their revenge the day after we lost in the Capital One Cup at home to Leyton Orient!"

As far as favourite players are concerned, Marc's hero when he was growing up was David Platt, while he also loved to watch Paul Merson in action.

But when asked to name "My Favourite Villan", he opted for a current player.

Look out for his thoughts on Fabian Delph in a future issue of the Villa News & Record.
Edited by Villan4Life

Isn't it common knowledge the SF is Dave Kitson? I doubt he is in the know about any take overs.

I think it used to be Dave Kitson.

But I've always got the impression that it's now more of a composite character. So they get input from various players and put it all together as one "footballer".

I don't actually think Randy is activley seeking a sale anymore - sure if someone rocks up with the goods he will sell - but I think its very much on the back burner. I think our future know is in the hands of Tom Fox - can he raise our revenue streams, and hire and fire the right managers ?

• Like 1

I don't actually think Randy is activley seeking a sale anymore - sure if someone rocks up with the goods he will sell - but I think its very much on the back burner. I think our future know is in the hands of Tom Fox - can he raise our revenue streams, and hire and fire the right managers ?

I'm convinced he still wants to sell but he just can't find a buyer. That's when the PR kicks in and we hear stories about him being "re-energised" etc. I don't buy it. We spent, what, £8m in the summer? If that's him getting the buzz for football back God help us if he ever gets fed up again.

• Like 1

I'm convinced he still wants to sell but he just can't find a buyer. That's when the PR kicks in and we hear stories about him being "re-energised" etc. I don't buy it. We spent, what, £8m in the summer? If that's him getting the buzz for football back God help us if he ever gets fed up again.

Totally agree definately wants out! I would take no notice of the spin from Fox etc what's he going to say? 'Randy, oh yeah he really couldn't give a shit and wants away from the place as soon as some schmuck coughs up £200m'?

If the club were actually for sale for as a little as  £40million, AVST would be all over it, because that's a figure that is screaming for a supporter takeover.

It ain't us.

Totally agree definately wants out! I would take no notice of the spin from Fox etc what's he going to say? 'Randy, oh yeah he really couldn't give a shit and wants away from the place as soon as some schmuck coughs up £200m'?

Agree with this. He defo want's out and has got Fox in to make us more attractive to potential buyers.  I can't believe Lerner bought a top 10 team, spent loads of money and turned them in to relegation candidates every season.  Now brings in Fox to help turn us back in to a top 10 team.

Madness.

Agree with this. He defo want's out and has got Fox in to make us more attractive to potential buyers.  I can't believe Lerner bought a top 10 team, spent loads of money and turned them in to relegation candidates every season.  Now brings in Fox to help turn us back in to a top 10 team.

Madness.

I tend to agree with Smetrov here. Of course he will sell if someone comes up with the money, but his recent actions would lead me to believe that he is trying to at least protect his investment, possibly even giving it another go.

He's got wages down to where he wants them, and a team that is obviously good enough to not get relegated. He might decide to give it another go as long as no one meets his valuation. We'll see how serious he is about it in January.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â