The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I'm a satisfied Villa fan despite our obvious shortcomings, because I believe that Randy is doing his best within the context of his own ability (both financially and intellectually).

The ability to delegate football related planning and application to a highly experienced football administrator, would ensure that whatever money Randy intends to make available in the future is more usefully spent imo.

What is football related planning exactly?

Nothing, as I've never said that. I've consistently said we're not a badly run club. We're not in a mess. There is a difference.

What is a badly run clun then?

After our best season in years we were able to build on that by selling our best player for the 2nd season in a row and not reinvest that money as we were in a mess financially. For reasons unknown our manager walked out and we then spent some time looking to finally end up with houllier.

He pissed off the fans at anfield, pissed off senior players, threw away the fa cup and had the villa pr people begging journalists not to print certain comments. We also went into the 37th game of the season still not mathamatically safe from relegation.

Houllier then left and we were publicly snubbed by martinez, offered mclaren and interview then withdrew it and finally ignored the protests of many fans and gave mcleish the job after his 2nd relegation in 2 years.

Our 2 best players were sold for the 3rd summer in a row and once again we weren't able to bring in decent replacements and on top of that we had the pr bullshit from the club about trying our best to keep young and downing and imagine what mcleish could do if backed.

Thats a well run club? He's had 6 years, spent millions and actually is in a very similar situation to when he arrived.

In that article there the one thing I disagree with is this

"Hope.

This word is missing at Aston Villa"

Not for me, you see I still hope we stay up

Comments like this are one of the many reasons we're in a mess and how fans can help.

Some thrive on the chaos, almost seem to enjoy it; promoting negative discussions over positive ones at all costs.

**** up.

Nothing, as I've never said that. I've consistently said we're not a badly run club. We're not in a mess. There is a difference.

After our best season in years we were able to build on that by selling our best player for the 2nd season in a row and not reinvest that money as we were in a mess financially. For reasons unknown our manager walked out and we then spent some time looking to finally end up with houllier.

He pissed off the fans at anfield, pissed off senior players, threw away the fa cup and had the villa pr people begging journalists not to print certain comments. We also went into the 37th game of the season still not mathamatically safe from relegation.

Houllier then left and we were publicly snubbed by martinez, offered mclaren and interview then withdrew it and finally ignored the protests of many fans and gave mcleish the job after his 2nd relegation in 2 years.

Our 2 best players were sold for the 3rd summer in a row and once again we weren't able to bring in decent replacements and on top of that we had the pr bullshit from the club about trying our best to keep young and downing and imagine what mcleish could do if backed.

Thats a well run club? He's had 6 years, spent millions and actually is in a very similar situation to when he arrived.

Leeds was badly run, Portsmouth, Blackburn. There are teams above us that are badly run, but they get away with it because they throw money at it, Man City, Chelsea. How much money is the Glazer debt taking out of Man Utd? Lucky they have Ferguson. Dein has dinned out on the Wenger appointement for years, is he brilliant as spotting managers? Who knows, his other appointment was Rioch...How many bad managers have Spurs been through? The new Liverpool owners are still in the honeymoon period.

Who is this club that always gets the right man, never has debts, never loses players seeking to leave?

Relatively speaking, I think we're run in a decent way. I think a club is as good as it's manager, only limited by it's income. How do you ensure you get the right manager, I don't know, but no current set up is capable of getting it right 100% of the time. I don't think any amount of experienced 'football administrators' can help with that. You don't need football nous, you need to go with gut instinct.

Not quite 2 relegations in 2 years is it.

Relegated

Promoted

9th

Relegated

still not great though.

Relegated

Promoted

9th

Relegated

still not great though.

He is our Gary Megson.

Actually Gary Megson has much more Premier league caliber and experience than McLeish.

Gary Megson >>> McLeish

Fair do's ... I'm certainly not adamant about a DoF and have already said that some football expertise seems to be needed in whatever form is appropriate.

Your 'proposal' might provide the solution, although (for my part) I would prefer it's someone like Brian Little who's providing the expertise.

So, how should this (possibly now something of a consensus) be transmitted to the powers that be?

It's not a proposal, I made, it's just a speculative opinion.

I don't think anyone thinks things are as we'd ideally like (as fans) I think people seem divided between "the board are all fools" (to paraphrase) and "the board are not fools and their aims are worthy, even if they don't always get everything right". Add in recent results / performances and the financial world situation and football's continuing trip towards the brink and you have a set of factors that lead people to different views. Which is fair enough. I'm not qualified to say what should be done or how. If Brian Little wanted to be involved, then I'd be pleased. But then again, if the manager was opposed to it, I'd have to go with letting the bloke they picked get on with thing.

I'm not impressed with the football under 'eck, though I don't think it's as dire, generally as is made out, though Spurs was woeful. I'm worried by the the attitude from monday, by the selection and by the mistakes made. But none of that is really down to Randy, other than he is ultimately the man at the top.

I just think when we were winning more often than not, we were all happy with Randy, broadly, now we're losing too many and dropping too many points he's apparently suddenly a clot. Doesn't make sense to me. Yes I'd like to see the Club get back to the off pitch attitude of a couple of years ago, and I'd love to see the team play attractive, winning football, because with prices and re-arranged kick offs and an uncompetitive league, as well as Villa slumping, I've lost most of my desire to really bother with it all. Which seems a shame.

Relegated

Promoted

9th

Relegated

still not great though.

Just a thought, If RL/PF had made it clear to Martinez that he was 1st choice as long as he accepted the wage bill constraints etc. would Roberto's reaction have been different? Being offered the job and being told that you are one of a number on the short list are two very different scenarios.

spot on, this club is a shambles :bang:

Fair do's ... I'm certainly not adamant about a DoF and have already said that some football expertise seems to be needed in whatever form is appropriate.

Your 'proposal' might provide the solution, although (for my part) I would prefer it's someone like Brian Little who's providing the expertise.

So, how should this (possibly now something of a consensus) be transmitted to the powers that be?

It's not a proposal, I made, it's just a speculative opinion.

Which is why the word proposal was put in single quotes! :winkold:

I don't think anyone thinks things are as we'd ideally like (as fans) I think people seem divided between "the board are all fools" (to paraphrase) and "the board are not fools and their aims are worthy, even if they don't always get everything right".

Well, yes, I recognise that, but whichever spectrum you happen to be in you'd want to see satisfactory progression from where things are now. I'd say that it is somewhat unlikely that RL is going to sell up, so accepting that situation and if RL were seen to be taking expert advice, then perhaps even the more extreme protesters might relax a bit more.

...If Brian Little wanted to be involved, then I'd be pleased. But then again, if the manager was opposed to it, I'd have to go with letting the bloke they picked get on with thing.

I'm not impressed with the football under 'eck, though I don't think it's as dire, generally as is made out, though Spurs was woeful. I'm worried by the the attitude from monday, by the selection and by the mistakes made.

Key thing is to my mind (assuming little changes on the pitch, and I don't think it will) is that AM should be ejected and an expert advisory appointment made to select AM's replacement. I cannot see a good future under AM even if the team finishes half-way.

But none of that is really down to Randy, other than he is ultimately the man at the top.

I just think when we were winning more often than not, we were all happy with Randy, broadly, now we're losing too many and dropping too many points he's apparently suddenly a clot. Doesn't make sense to me.

I'd say that there's quite a few (and I'm among them) think that the General was put in as a voicepiece to paper over RL's weaknesses and that in retrospect many can see that RL's management of MON was not as it should have been.

Yes I'd like to see the Club get back to the off pitch attitude of a couple of years ago, and I'd love to see the team play attractive, winning football, because with prices and re-arranged kick offs and an uncompetitive league, as well as Villa slumping, I've lost most of my desire to really bother with it all. Which seems a shame.

And the great shame is that a supporter like you should have been made to feel that way. There are too many saying the same or similar. Hence RL really does need to get in someone to help direct the club in a better way.

In that article there the one thing I disagree with is this

"Hope.

This word is missing at Aston Villa"

Not for me, you see I still hope we stay up

Comments like this are one of the many reasons we're in a mess and how fans can help.

Some thrive on the chaos, almost seem to enjoy it; promoting negative discussions over positive ones at all costs.

**** up.

Yeah I agree totally. No wonder other clubs think some of our fanbase are a total embarassment, typical moaning brummies who always think the sky is about to fall on their heads. Its like the writer/artist who enjoys saying they have depression, as it makes them slightly "edgy".

Clearly, R.I.C.O., you don't share in the belief that Aston Villa is a great club and that it should be restored to emminence? Many feel the club has lost (or is losing) its lustre and that's a lot to do with why they're unhappy.

I think it's possible to think that Aston Villa is a great club, but also understanding that there are wage demands that need to be met, along with financial contraints that Randy wants to address; whilst still being positive that we can climb back up the table - in time.

That's my view ^

Clearly, R.I.C.O., you don't share in the belief that Aston Villa is a great club and that it should be restored to emminence?

I think that is slightly unfair John. I believe we , those of us who are Villa fans on here, all want the club to do well we just differ on our view of how that is likely to happen or differ on our view of the current status of the club.

It does not mean that any of us does not believe we are a great club or that we should not be restored to emminence as you put it.

On my comment about hoping we stay up, not sure what the issue is with that to be fair. I mean I think the one thing the majority of us accept is that our fortunes this season will be rocky and that the next run of games we have will put us in a difficult position.

If the team shows the "fight" and "spirit" that was on display in the Tottenham game for the fixtures before and after Christmas it is my firm belief that that, coupled with the manager we have/team we have to pick from/lack of investment in reinforcements etc, will lead to us struggling all season.

So yes I do hope we stay up. I think if I had said "I hope we get relegated" that people could have had a go, but not for actually positively hoping we stay up. Strange

Many feel the club has lost (or is losing) its lustre and that's a lot to do with why they're unhappy.

!00% for me. Absolutely agree

Clearly, R.I.C.O., you don't share in the belief that Aston Villa is a great club and that it should be restored to emminence?

I think that is slightly unfair John. I believe we , those of us who are Villa fans on here, all want the club to do well we just differ on our view of how that is likely to happen or differ on our view of the current status of the club.

It does not mean that any of us does not believe we are a great club or that we should not be restored to emminence as you put it.

On my comment about hoping we stay up, not sure what the issue is with that to be fair. I mean I think the one thing the majority of us accept is that our fortunes this season will be rocky and that the next run of games we have will put us in a difficult position.

If the team shows the "fight" and "spirit" that was on display in the Tottenham game for the fixtures before and after Christmas it is my firm belief that that, coupled with the manager we have/team we have to pick from/lack of investment in reinforcements etc, will lead to us struggling all season.

So yes I do hope we stay up. I think if I had said "I hope we get relegated" that people could have had a go, but not for actually positively hoping we stay up.

Totally agreed, Richard. However, I was having a wee go at RICO as he was suggesting that "moaning" is going on. I was trying to suggest that such complaints that are coming forth are partly due to the exasparation that Villa is a great club but appears to be going backwards. Of course fans should feel unhappy, but RICO doesn't seem to accept that.

Whatever the owner says, I do not believe his belief in the club is as great as the supporters.

Fatty Faulkner living in a dreamworld i see.

Villa's aim is europe

Dream on my friend under the current management we should be looking over our shoulders at the other end of the table, ive heard many pundits touting us as dark horses for relegation this season thank god there are almost 2 dead certs to go down.

Paul Faulkner living in a dreamworld i see.

Villa's aim is europe.

Does Wales count as being in europe?

Just been listening all the way through the BRMB interview between Tom Ross and PF: BRMB link

I actually thought that in the first part he was talking the talk quite well, but when it came to the important bits and Villa's place in the football world then he sounded ineffectual - worse, he didn't try to play up the club in a way that you would expect of a CEO at AVFC. At least, not what I would expect.

He's running by the seat of his pants I'm afraid.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â