The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Probably because we had a defence that included Wilfred Bouma, Olof Mellberg and Martin Laursen.

So Doug allowed a better team to be built.

I wouldn't quite say that BJ

If MON had spent the large sums he was given on better players, we would have had a fantastic side.

As it was he signed 3-4 good ones and a whole steaming heap of overpriced turd.

• Like 1

People do have short memories on Ellis, the man who couldn't find the cash to buy Erik Bakke.

Definitely. It's a shame that instead of just having justified criticism of Lerner (although some of it goes over the top IMO) there has also been an emergence of historical revisionism over Ellis.

• Like 2

People do have short memories on Ellis, the man who couldn't find the cash to buy Erik Bakke.

Definitely. It's a shame that instead of just having justified criticism of Lerner (although some of it goes over the top IMO) there has also been an emergence of historical revisionism over Ellis.

It's similar to bringing in McLeish against Lambert.

• Like 2

wasnt it just a loan extension we couldn't afford from a team in serious financial trouble

I would also say that when comparing spend between Ellis and Lerner there are two main factors;

1. Ellis never spent a penny of his own money. Randy has used a fair bit of his own cash I would say

2. Wages. I'm willing to bet that Dunne for example earn't more per week when he signed than Mellberg and Laursen did combined when they were signed.

The wages and lack of 'sellable' players killed the Lerner regime.

• Like 1

Unless you have a very head strong and smart chairman (someone like Levy), you don't let people like O'Neill or Redknapp near your club.  Manipulators that seem to leave a lot of clubs in a mess.

Such a waste of time comparing Ellis v Lerner. Ultimately both were ****** useless, in different ways, and unfortunately unless the next owner is prepared to invest they will be no different.

After all the **** about some of the richest people in the world buying us, it is now becoming apparrent that there is no Knight in shining armour on route to save AVFC. The last two owners have basically balls up our great club and it is very difficult to see how we are going to avoid another season just fighting for survival.

Ellis sold a club on it's knees to Lerner who in turn in just 8 years has brought us to our knees again!

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

Unless you have a very head strong and smart chairman (someone like Levy), you don't let people like O'Neill or Redknapp near your club.  Manipulators that seem to leave a lot of clubs in a mess.

Levy employed Redknapp.

And Levy isn't 'smart'

Not footbal-smart, anyway.

Levy employed Redknapp.

I know, which is why Spurs are the only club Harry hasn't left in a mess.

Unless you have a very head strong and smart chairman (someone like Levy), you don't let people like O'Neill or Redknapp near your club. Manipulators that seem to leave a lot of clubs in a mess.

Levy employed Redknapp.

And Levy isn't 'smart'

Not footbal-smart, anyway.

This is very true and he is much over rated. Villa's salvation is not in finding another Levy or even a DOF, but having an owner who is prepared to invest in both the right players, coaches, coaching network and team management. You can have the best CEO in the world and it will no difference if the squad are not good enough through lack of investment. If anything Levy is evidence of CEO who had plenty of money and spent it badly. Wenger has plenty of critics, but he has consistently through CL qualification proven that it is all about the team management, players and good investment. They may not have won the PL for years, but I would give my right arm for their record. Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

Ellis vs Lerner is basically an argument over which steaming pile of human shit smells worse. Does it matter at this stage?

Not really, but it is just telling when you find yourself thinking "Doug would never have done that!".

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â