Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Lambert spent a lot in the 2012/2013 season. It was the 3rd highest transfer expenditure in a season by the club in the last 10 years

But that's not high compared to the competition, of whom many of which were already in a better state than we were.  

Plus, the ongoing concern - i.e. the wages on offer to new players is far less that clubs like Fulham, Southampton, Everton, Stoke, Swansea are offering.  Judging by what HH has said Bacuna and Kozak are on, we can't even match Hull getting Huddlestone and Livermore.  Bannan's on more at Palace than our new recruits.

Did Lambert really expect to do well with a bunch of players from lower leagues worth an average of 2 million each in the "Premier league". This team would be no where near QPR in the Championship. Lambert was never gonna make this team play there hearts out every game and it really shows. Nearly everyone was saying it could never work and I really don't think it is.

In the end Lambert took the job he new the restraints and had the belief we would become a quality entertaining team. In my eyes he has not achieved this, so who's to blame???

This would be QPR, the most expensively assembled relegated team ever who are light years ahead of the 11th placed team in the premiership......got you  ;)

Ok i take your point. Although I doubt we are any better than, Burnley, Leicester, Derby even. I think we would struggle to get out of the championship.

But we're not in the championship. The team is shit, but the manager has got his team to 11th in the Premier League. 

Im fearful for Lambert at villa to be honest - there seems to be a wave of sackings - with Malky Mackay now in open dispute with his chairman the latest - Zola resigning earlier today - I can just sense a bombshell if we don't get results in the next few games...

I did see him as being here long term and doing a job like Moyes at Everton - not quite sure why but I don't see that happening now... 

Lambert spent a lot in the 2012/2013 season. It was the 3rd highest transfer expenditure in a season by the club in the last 10 years

But that's not high compared to the competition, of whom many of which were already in a better state than we were.  

Plus, the ongoing concern - i.e. the wages on offer to new players is far less that clubs like Fulham, Southampton, Everton, Stoke, Swansea are offering.  Judging by what HH has said Bacuna and Kozak are on, we can't even match Hull getting Huddlestone and Livermore.  Bannan's on more at Palace than our new recruits.

he went for quantity not quality, he has signed 15 players in a year and a half. he didnt need to sign 15 IMO

Im fearful for Lambert at villa to be honest - there seems to be a wave of sackings - with Malky Mackay now in open dispute with his chairman the latest - Zola resigning earlier today - I can just sense a bombshell if we don't get results in the next few games...

I did see him as being here long term and doing a job like Moyes at Everton - not quite sure why but I don't see that happening now... 

Lerner will not sack our manager, especially when he is doing better than last season. 

Lambert may end up being poached though. 

Lerner will not sack our manager, especially when he is doing better than last season. 

Lambert may end up being poached though. 

Who would poach Lambert and why????

Meh, he'll be fine. This place is always worse after a loss and it tends to be an echo chamber.

When we lose, everyone is shit and anyone that stays positive is seen as deluded.

When we win, these players are going to be completing for England and everyone that's being realistic with good points are shouted out as too pessimistic.

We're right where we should be. Boringly midtable

Nailed it.

• Like 1

Lambert won't be poached. He just hasn't shown enough (yet) at this level to suggest he could handle an even higher pressure job. Would be a very big gamble for that club. 

Agree - but theres a lack managerail talent out there - Spurs are considering Tim Sherwood on a permanent basis .........but I think the managerial merry go round hasn't finished yet.....

Who is going to do better than Paul Lambert?

In all honesty, with the lack of funds he has available he's doing the best he can.

We're going from using experienced premier league players to mostly unknowns 18 months ago. I don't remember the previous experienced lot doing much better, be it they were costing the club a fortune!

True we're playing badly but with the young inexperienced players at his disposal that is no surprise. He's scouting unknown players from abroad and lower divisions and using others coming through the youth system.

Don't forget he's not that experienced himself. A lot of supporters last year were saying that this was a long term project and that hasn't changed in my eyes.

We don't like it but unless a Billionaire is bored and decides to buy the club for a hobby that's not going to change any time soon.

In Lambert I trust...still

• Like 1

Meh, he'll be fine. This place is always worse after a loss and it tends to be an echo chamber.

When we lose, everyone is shit and anyone that stays positive is seen as deluded.

When we win, these players are going to be completing for England and everyone that's being realistic with good points are shouted out as too pessimistic.

We're right where we should be. Boringly midtable

Nailed it.

villa_fans.png?m=1387228008

The one thing Lerner fears is another manager hunt. So reckon lambert is pretty safe. I do feel Lambert needs at least 2 convincing wins from the 4 games below:-

Stoke (Away)

Palace (Home)

Swansea (Home)

Sunderland (Away)

Sure we could loose all 4 , with barley a whimper from Lerner. - But poor results in those games and Lambert would be in lame duck mode - as some one said at the start of the week its 50/50 whether he's here next season - which I agree with.

For me this is where we be able to get a proper view of how the season is going, the next 4 games are very important and it'll mean we're around the halfway mark of the season. The games aren't going to be easy, but they're against 3 teams below us and 1 team that are just above us. If they go badly we could well be on our way to another scrap, if they go well we could be talking about a top half finish potentially.

I think you're right - after Swansea we are halfway through the season. 5+ points from those games and we are on 24+ at the halfway stage and firmly mid-table.

Argee with all the above. Yes we have been poor the last 2 games. Fulham after Southampton we expected at least a point, and some of use stupidly thought it might have been our year to beat manure- doh.Anothe 4 game unbeaten run would be nice- 2 wins, 2 draws and everyone's happy.

Who is going to do better than Paul Lambert?

In all honesty, with the lack of funds he has available he's doing the best he can.

We're going from using experienced premier league players to mostly unknowns 18 months ago. I don't remember the previous experienced lot doing much better, be it they were costing the club a fortune!

True we're playing badly but with the young inexperienced players at his disposal that is no surprise. He's scouting unknown players from abroad and lower divisions and using others coming through the youth system.

Don't forget he's not that experienced himself. A lot of supporters last year were saying that this was a long term project and that hasn't changed in my eyes.

We don't like it but unless a Billionaire is bored and decides to buy the club for a hobby that's not going to change any time soon.

In Lambert I trust...still

Somebody with a more expansive approach to the game of football perhaps.

Who are these people that have actually stated that Lambert should be sacked?

In the last few pages, both Risso and drat01 have specifically said it.

Did I? - where did I say that and in what context? - I am intrigued by this now

Edit: Looked back as far as page 954 and I cannot see where I am supposed to have said this - maybe an apology due from DarrenM for telling lies?

Edited by drat01