Paul Lambert

Pilchard

The current financial situation has come about from a complicated few years at the club and requires more than black and white thinking.

That's fine. If you want to ignore what happened last January because it's "complicated" then that's your choice. Also worth adding that even with the tv money set to increase Lerner still decided to give the manager barely and funds when he desperately needed them.

According to Jon Fear of Vital fame, Lambert admitted at the end of year one that he had more money at his disposal if he had wanted it.  As for January, I remember a big defensive midfielder sized hole in our squad that Lambert went out and filled with Yacouba Sylla who promptly became a key part of us improving our form and staying in the league.

The recurring theme in all of this seems to be that the bad stuff is Lerner's fault and any positives are not down to him.  They either happened in spite of him or it was down to luck.  That's not a balanced view IMHO.

• Like 4

I'm not, but that doesn't mean I don't think 2005/06 was worse than things are now.

That was one season. You think that was worse than Mcleish?

And I said I've never experienced a worse period. This has been 3 years now.

You know just because it's the worst you feel you've ever experienced doesn't mean everyone else will feel the same.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

He's made mistakes but I can think of a lot worse owners than Randy.

I'd love to see this long list of premiership owners that are clearly worse than Lerner.
Too many to list. That's not to say there aren't a lot of better owners as well though.

You can't honestly believe he's one of the worst Premier League owners?

So list some then.

I do believe it, we're having the worst period I've ever experienced as a fan. You don't think that makes him bad?

Of the current PL owners I'd say definitely Tan, Short, Ashley, Gold & Sullivan and whoever owns Palace. I don't know the ins and outs of all the clubs though so there's a few owners who I have no idea about.

The worst you've experienced. I've experienced worse. It's all about opinion really.

No, I don't think it makes him bad. I think he's very naive but not bad.

How are the palace owners bad owners? And out of that list how many of them are currently above us? So from too many to list to what? 2 or 3?

You've experienced worse? When was that then? I'd love to know the period that's been worse than the last 3 years.

the 05/06 season was definitely the worst by a long distance

Really? In what sense?

Because compared to the Mcleish year we won more games, scored more goals and got more points. So how was it worse?

The current financial situation has come about from a complicated few years at the club and requires more than black and white thinking.

That's fine. If you want to ignore what happened last January because it's "complicated" then that's your choice. Also worth adding that even with the tv money set to increase Lerner still decided to give the manager barely and funds when he desperately needed them.

According to Jon Fear of Vital fame, Lambert admitted at the end of year one that he had more money at his disposal if he had wanted it. As for January, I remember a big defensive midfielder sized hole in our squad that Lambert went out and filled with Yacouba Sylla who promptly became a key part of us improving our form and staying in the league.

The recurring theme in all of this seems to be that the bad stuff is Lerner's fault and any positives are not down to him. They either happened in spite of him or it was down to luck. That's not a balanced view IMHO.

I don't see why any manager would turn down money after the Xmas period we had. Simon Dawkins looked like a signing just for the sake of bringing bodies in with low cost. That would suggest lambert would have bought better if he could.

What positives are we talking about? He gets credit for lambert but what else does he deserve credit for?

I'm not, but that doesn't mean I don't think 2005/06 was worse than things are now.

You know just because it's the worst you feel you've ever experienced doesn't mean everyone else will feel the same.

Ok so tell me how it was worse than the Mcleish year.

eh 05/06 we played some dismal football, couldnt afford to keep Eirik Bakke of all people on loan and really only stayed up as teams below us were dreadful also squad was so bad many youngsters were thrown in at the deep end as Doug wouldnt give the money

• Like 1

Yes, 05/06 was a low point for my time as a fan.

We couldn't even afford to loan players, let alone make any signings. It felt like the club were about to go under.

At least we seem to be back on track and heading upwards again after two difficult seasons.

• Like 1

you are aware that we haven't been relegated into the third division in the last three years?

I misunderstood this first time round.

I was under the impression mantis was not the right age to have experienced that period. I may be wrong though and if that's the case I apologise. However I'm not of that age so that's what my original point of thinking he's one of the worst is based on.

Well maybe you should take some advice from your own words    "I do wonder when some of these fans that have accepted survival on the cheap started supporting the club. Do a bit of research into the club you say you support."

Football didn't start with the Premiership. Aston Villa have been in much worse positions than this both in terms of performance and financially.

Under MON we had a good go at getting the financial jackpot of Champions League football. We were close but ultimately fell slightly short. The Man City takeover made the approach we had taken harder to achieve and we couldn't sustain the wages and expenditure without that Champions League jackpot.

Unlike some posters here I don't blame either MON or Lerner for the failure, we tried but there are never any guarantees of success. It's easy to say if MON had done this, or if Lerner had done that we'd have been more successful but then our plans will never have to be tested in the heat of battle.  Also I don't see the point of blaming either of them for the breakup without knowing any of the facts behind the walkout.

Whether you're satisfied or unhappy at the moment seems to rely on whether you believe that Lerner & Lambert are working to a plan, and are genuinely trying to build something sustainable but also successful, or if you think that it's all some cost cutting exercise with no thought to future success.

Either viewpoint could ultimately turn out to be right.

• Like 1

Would anyone else agree that we dropped a clanger in not getting Barry in on loan in the summer

He was available and would have walked straight into our midfield bringing much needed experience and steel

While I agree he would walk straight into our midfield, no I wouldn't say they "dropped a clanger" because we don't know know whether getting Barry on loan was actually a viable option.

Well there are various news articles like this one suggesting that Lambert turned down the option of signing him on loan http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-city-loan-offer-barry-5720725

Would anyone else agree that we dropped a clanger in not getting Barry in on loan in the summer

He was available and would have walked straight into our midfield bringing much needed experience and steel

While I agree he would walk straight into our midfield, no I wouldn't say they "dropped a clanger" because we don't know know whether getting Barry on loan was actually a viable option.

Well there are various news articles like this one suggesting that Lambert turned down the option of signing him on loan http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-city-loan-offer-barry-5720725

There's no quotes though. It seems more like speculation to me based purely on the fact that Lambert likes to sign young players. I can believe that we turned him down but if we did I think it's far more likely that this was due to wages.

Well maybe you should take some advice from your own words "I do wonder when some of these fans that have accepted survival on the cheap started supporting the club. Do a bit of research into the club you say you support."

Thanks for the advice.

I fail to see how a bad period years and years ago means we should accept mediocrity or worse just surviving now. I mention premiership history because let's be honest that's when football really did change and it's recent history, which has a lot more influence on what we should expect as fans.

I don't think Lambert would take Barry, Milner or young back if offered even if wages weren't an issue.  I think he'd be afraid that they'd have too much stroke in the dressing room and of course he's not over keen on proven quality.

It's not just about the stuff that was going on on the pitch, but also what was going on off it.

There was me thinking fans turned up to watch what was happening on the pitch.

So you don't think the goings on off the pitch are also relevant to fans feelings of how the club is doing?

Well maybe you should take some advice from your own words "I do wonder when some of these fans that have accepted survival on the cheap started supporting the club. Do a bit of research into the club you say you support."

Thanks for the advice.

I fail to see how a bad period years and years ago means we should accept mediocrity or worse just surviving now. I mention premiership history because let's be honest that's when football really did change and it's recent history, which has a lot more influence on what we should expect as fans.

No-one is saying we should accept mediocrity or survival, but then the quoted post isn't in response to that. You asked when things were worse and it was answered, after you asked someone to research the club they supported. That's all. The arbitrary start date of either 1) Premier League era or 2) when someone supported the club, was not fully clear from the start. That's what leads to misunderstandings and the ducking and diving that follows.

According to Jon Fear of Vital fame, Lambert admitted at the end of year one that he had more money at his disposal if he had wanted it.  As for January, I remember a big defensive midfielder sized hole in our squad that Lambert went out and filled with Yacouba Sylla who promptly became a key part of us improving our form and staying in the league.

The recurring theme in all of this seems to be that the bad stuff is Lerner's fault and any positives are not down to him.  They either happened in spite of him or it was down to luck.  That's not a balanced view IMHO.

....my sentiment too.

He is not blameless, far from it ...but he is also not to blame for all the ills of the universe.

There has been a catalogue of errors relating to Aston Villa football club over the last 10 years and there is a bunch of people to blame.

I'm just waiting fro a spell of prudency to take over.

Relegation to the old Division 3 was definitely worse, and, in my opinion, the latter part of the Ellis tenure.

It's not just about the stuff that was going on on the pitch, but also what was going on off it.
There was me thinking fans turned up to watch what was happening on the pitch.

So you don't think the goings on off the pitch are also relevant to fans feelings of how the club is doing?

So what was going on off the pitch during the Mcleish year that made up for the facts:

1) Mcleish was manager

2) we won less games

3) we got less points

4) we scored less goals

1) Lerner **** up (no-one is saying Lerner has never made mistakes btw)

2) Consequence of having McLeish and of the cost cutting to recover the MON era

3) Consequence of having McLeish and of the cost cutting to recover the MON era

4) Consequence of having McLeish and of the cost cutting to recover the MON era