Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I don't think he's wasted Lerner's money in the sense that that money is now lost though. Irrespective of our season so far, Lowton, Westwood, Benteke and possibly Vlaar providing he stays injury free when he returns, will mow e worth significantly more than what we paid for them.

Has he underestimated the quality needed in the team? Definitely, but Randy needs to trust him with funds to add real quality now that we've addressed the issue of quantity.

With all due respect I don't think any of the players Lambert has purchased are worth significantly more because they simply haven't made enough impact for other teams to want them.

As Lambert has already stated his phone has been silent concerning all our players but I do expect a cheeky bid for Bent just before the window closes, probably in the region of 6m.

The small amount of information he had? I am not being funny mate but any one involved with in football circles could have told him that this club needed far more than a few bargain buys to be looking at finishing 12th-14th. I am also sure he could easily have spoken to McLeish or anyone else still or recently associated with the club.

Lambert also surely must have realised over the summer that there was a gaping hole in the midfield where we needed a defensive central midfielder. He also must have known pre season with Dunne out for at least 3 months we needed another experienced centre back.

You know what though we can waffle on about could've would've should've's all day but we are where we are. For now I would like to see Lambert backed in this window and for him to then bring in the 2 or 3 players of proven quality we need namely a centre back and a least one or two players in midfield. I don't think we are far away from having a team that will survive this season and can look to push on next but we need to make these signings now. Had we have already done so in this window we'd already be 3 points better off.

stop posting good stuff, I'd have some likes left of my quota

1) Why has he not resigned due to the lack of support from the board ?"

2) So he took the job even though he was told he couldn't sign players until players that would be almost impossible to sell (Ireland on £60k per week, Warnock on £45k per week and Hutton on £40k per week allegedly) were no longer at the club. What kind of manager takes a job in those circumstances. If Lambert took the poisoned challis that is the Aston Villa managers job on those conditions then he is either the most arrogant man in the world, just plain crazy, or just here for the money himself (i don't think it's the last one).

3) Forgive me, i don't know your situation, are you a personal friend of Lambert ? You seem to know an awful lot about his agreement with our board, and about his satisfaction with the team and players he bought. (that's not a dig, it's an honest question).

4) Surely now that there is a very real possibility that Lambert will get this team relegated he'd be better off talking to the board and telling them he needs to use the experience he has in the squad ? Bennett's confidence must be shot to pieces with the pelters he's received for his performances, as much as i don't particularly rate Warnock he'd be a better bet for that position, and he has always seemed to give 100%. And let's assume for Bent to play again we have to pay £6M surely it's better to pay the money and use him properly, then sell him at the end of the season if it means his goals save us ? desperate times call for desperate measures, unless Bent really is stirring up trouble as some have claimed.

5) I'd love for Ireland to go, i don't think he's had one decent game for us, but I really think this is a player we're stuck with, again he's earning £60k a week allegedly, who in their right mind will pay us that for him ?

1) Because the board have not gone back on their word

2) I don't think he is either arrogant or crazy. I think he underestimated the size of the task but that doesnt make him a bad manager

3) No I'm not a friend of Lambert's. I have heard a few things but don't claim to be ITK. The one thing I do know is that he has submitted a list of players he would like to sign. Sissoko was near the top of the list and on enquiring we were told £75k a week - RL will not sanction anything near that appartantly

4) Personally if I was RL I'd rather sanction extra spending than recall Warnock or Hutton. I don't know but suspect the £6m Bent thing is spot on. I don't think we have got the players to make the £6m punt on Bent pay-off

5) I'm appalled at Ireland. I think it was telling that PL didn't go to him even when in real trouble against S'ton. I don't think that's PL being stubborn I think he knows the Ireland would let him down again

People on here can moan about PL all they like. I expected more from him and acknowledge he has made mistakes but all I see is a decent manager trying his best to sort out a real mess. It will be a long time yet before I turn on him

The small amount of information he had? I am not being funny mate but any one involved with in football circles could have told him that this club needed far more than a few bargain buys to be looking at finishing 12th-14th. I am also sure he could easily have spoken to McLeish or anyone else still or recently associated with the club.

Lambert also surely must have realised over the summer that there was a gaping hole in the midfield where we needed a defensive central midfielder. He also must have known pre season with Dunne out for at least 3 months we needed another experienced centre back.

You know what though we can waffle on about could've would've should've's all day but we are where we are. For now I would like to see Lambert backed in this window and for him to then bring in the 2 or 3 players of proven quality we need namely a centre back and a least one or two players in midfield. I don't think we are far away from having a team that will survive this season and can look to push on next but we need to make these signings now. Had we have already done so in this window we'd already be 3 points better off.

I can't argue about needing to sign a central midfielder. It is an obvious gap that should have been filled - I'd love to know why he chose not to do that. Maybe he couldn't find one for the money available. With the CB thing - I thought Dunne was out for 4 weeks initially. I also think that he had more cover there. Again i've no idea but my guess is that he couldn't bring in anything better than Clark and Baker with the funds available.

As I say I think PL is a long way from perfect - but even if he had made every single decision 100% spot on I can't see us being much better off

I know for sure that he has asked the board for a number of players including CB and DM. You've maybe seen my post about Sissoko who would be ideal for us but for who the (wage) spending won't be sanctioned. I've no inside info but am expecting a couple of loans and a couple of bargain buys unless RL has a serious change of heart

I know I'm in a minority on this forum - I'm as angry as anyone about what is going on but I don't think that PL is the root of the problem. It started way way before he got here

To be fair to Daniel, he doesn't have the resources, and isn't paid millions to buy players to improve Aston Villa. It's pretty stupid claiming that because he can't name names, that the players aren't out there.

No - if you are claiming that he could have bought players for the same money who are "much better" you need to name a few

No - if you are claiming that he could have bought players for the same money who are "much better" you need to name a few

There was no point naming names because you were already telling me players that i couldn't name. No matter who i said you would've shot it down calming they want high wages or the fee is unrealistic.

Edited by Daniel

There was no point naming names because you were already telling me players that i couldn't name. No matter who i said you would've shot it down calming they want high wages or the fee is unrealistic.

Like Dmitar Berbertov? He'd be one who you'd classify as being up "for the fight" is he

I'm actually starting to think VillaCas is related to Lambert in some way. I'd be interested to know what he'd think if this was Mcleish producing this managerial performance.

Someone said a few pages back about playing like Mcleish did. I'd take that right now because he at least kept us up. The way Lambert is going, we might as well draw the curtains and kiss everyone goodnight.

Like Dmitar Berbertov? He'd be one who you'd classify as being up "for the fight" is he

I'd classify Berbatov as a top quality, International, goal scoring striker with huge experience at this level. Something that we have in Bent but due to crap decisions and poor management, we may as well not.

1) Because the board have not gone back on their word

2) I don't think he is either arrogant or crazy. I think he underestimated the size of the task but that doesnt make him a bad manager

3) No I'm not a friend of Lambert's. I have heard a few things but don't claim to be ITK. The one thing I do know is that he has submitted a list of players he would like to sign. Sissoko was near the top of the list and on enquiring we were told £75k a week - RL will not sanction anything near that appartantly

4) Personally if I was RL I'd rather sanction extra spending than recall Warnock or Hutton. I don't know but suspect the £6m Bent thing is spot on. I don't think we have got the players to make the £6m punt on Bent pay-off

5) I'm appalled at Ireland. I think it was telling that PL didn't go to him even when in real trouble against S'ton. I don't think that's PL being stubborn I think he knows the Ireland would let him down again

People on here can moan about PL all they like. I expected more from him and acknowledge he has made mistakes but all I see is a decent manager trying his best to sort out a real mess. It will be a long time yet before I turn on him

1. Then if the manager and board are in sync, there must be some sort of long term plan in place, perhaps that hasn't changed despite our position.

2. Then at the very least he is either stupid or naive, because he could have spoken to any Villa fan or anyone that has watched Villa over the past 3 years to know that the team has been declining. I thought he spoke with MON before he took the job ? How did he not realise then that we needed a strong ball winning midfielder ?

3. You have described the way pretty much every manager in the league works with his board, but if Sissoko really wants £75k a week then can anyone argue that Lerner was wrong to not sanction the move ? You can bet those players that don't have relegation clauses have 'Match Top Earner' clauses.

4. Regarding Warnock and Hutton, they have to be paid in any case, so why not use them ? As for Bent, well he can play as part of a front three, and i see no reason why he wouldn't score more than Benteke (who seems to have rapidly gone downhill since Liverpool), so if he scored 10 goals between now and the end of the season and we stayed up, that £6M would be a real bargain. I don't see the point having a player like Bent around and not using him, unless he has done something really bad that makes it impossible for other teammates to play alongside him (as is rumoured).

5. Agreed.

I'm actually starting to think VillaCas is related to Lambert in some way. I'd be interested to know what he'd think if this was Mcleish producing this managerial performance.

Someone said a few pages back about playing like Mcleish did. I'd take that right now because he at least kept us up. The way Lambert is going, we might as well draw the curtains and kiss everyone goodnight.

No I'm not related to Lambert - I'm sticking up for him because I think he took over a shower of shite and is doing his best to sort it out

I didn't think McLeish was the right manager for us and was glad he went - under McLeish we were never going to progress, under Lambert I think we may. I will say that McLeish was not given the backing that was advertised but on the down side the players he bought were a waste of money and I think that the culture at the club left a lot to be desired

I'm as angry as anyone about the situation but can see that Lambert is not where most of the blame should be pointed

Is he not winning points on his own at Fulham though? Something like 7 goals 3 assists. Don't look like he's given up.

No I'm not related to Lambert - I'm sticking up for him because I think he took over a shower of shite and is doing his best to sort it out

The last bit should read '...and made them worse' IMO.

Sorry just can't see where Lambert is sorting this out. Poor use of money in the transfer market, naive tactics, poor organisation and managing to mould a team that plays worse football than we did last year is all I can see.

I don't doubt that the problems at the club run deeper than Lambert, but what I'm seeing on the pitch is an absolute disgrace. Our record speaks for itself.

Edited by Hanky

We will earn more than that through TV revenue.

Plus whatever the transfer fee is.

And what if let's say his transfer doesn't work out ? what if he turns out like Ireland ? Or we get relegated ?

We're then stuck potentially in the Championship with his additional wages.

With Hutton and Warnock I can only guess that their salary includes appearances bonuses the club don't want to pay only reason to have them essentially training with kids whilst paying them first team salaries