Paul Lambert

Pilchard

The problem is, your approach differs little from the approach we took under MON. "proven" players, who cost more, are paid more, but who's extra contribution (if any) doesn't reflect the extra cost.

As I've said many times, yeah you're approach might see us in a better position in the short term. But would it have us in a better position (both on the pitch and financially) in the long term? I highly doubt it, IF Lambert succeeds, which I think he will.

What can we realistically expect through signing young players on low wages? Will it ever be enough to achieve a higher points total or league finish than MoN? I'd be surprised if it does.

There has to come a point where the wage bill and transfer fees increase otherwise we will just be a club that survives or finishes mid table.

I get the impression some fans would have no problem with consistent mid table finishes in the future. Some have made it clear they have no problem with relegation.

And like Trent said I think Lener would be over the moon with that level of stability.

Come now John. Those that have said they would want Lambert retained even if we are relegated are not saying they are fine with relegation. They perceive Lambert as a good manager with a plan for the future, and if one step to sustained top finishes is a season in the championship, that is a hit they are willing to take.

If you disagree about Lambert and the direction of the club, that is fine, but do not construct a straw man to argue with.

Just on a side note. I think most of the ridiculous arguments that happen here come down to people taking what someone said, contorting it into the most extreme example of the opinion put forth, and then they argue with that extreme opinion. No need to do that.

• Like 1

What can we realistically expect through signing young players on low wages? Will it ever be enough to achieve a higher points total or league finish than MoN? I'd be surprised if it does.

There has to come a point where the wage bill and transfer fees increase otherwise we will just be a club that survives or finishes mid table.

We have no choice. Thje only way we can increase the spending is to increase the revenue. As it has been shown that the club cant put up entrance fees, Im at a bit of a loss as to where this money is supposed to come from?

The Premier League chairmen are about to approve what amounts to a salary cap and rules on profit/loss that make the UEFA Fair play regs look like a stroll in the park. Essentially the chairmen have more or less agreed that players and agents will not get their hands on all the new TV money, they want it.

Whether you like it, approve of it, or think its fair is neither here nor there but the fact remains this is what will almost certainly be agreed, making the way Villa are going about things the ONLY way to go about things

Come now John. Those that have said they would want Lambert retained even if we are relegated are not saying they are fine with relegation. They perceive Lambert as a good manager with a plan for the future, and if one step to sustained top finishes is a season in the championship, that is a hit they are willing to take.

If you disagree about Lambert and the direction of the club, that is fine, but do not construct a straw man to argue with.

Just on a side note. I think most of the ridiculous arguments that happen here come down to people taking what someone said, contorting it into the most extreme example of the opinion put forth, and then they argue with that extreme opinion. No need to do that.

I can see people being happy with lambert to continue with a plan if relegated.

I was really referring to what I think the attitude to the owner would be should we go down.

We have no choice. Thje only way we can increase the spending is to increase the revenue. As it has been shown that the club cant put up entrance fees, Im at a bit of a loss as to where this money is supposed to come from?

The Premier League chairmen are about to approve what amounts to a salary cap and rules on profit/loss that make the UEFA Fair play regs look like a stroll in the park. Essentially the chairmen have more or less agreed that players and agents will not get their hands on all the new TV money, they want it.

Whether you like it, approve of it, or think its fair is neither here nor there but the fact remains this is what will almost certainly be agreed, making the way Villa are going about things the ONLY way to go about things

But how many teams in the league make more money than us?

Fair enough we can't compete with Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool, spurs, city and arsenal but I don't see why we should accept failing to aim to finish above the rest.

It's up to you Lambert, because the team on the pitch today is probably the weakest I have seen in my entire life as a Villa-fan.

And who knows what is happening with Darren Bent? If this is you stirring up things because you want to make a mark then you better thart winning matches, and the side better score goals.

This team loses games and doesn't score any goals, so when you are leaving out Darren Bent then you better have something positive to talk about tomorrow.

We cannot have players that believe they are bigger than the club, that is for sure. However, we cannot have managers that put their own ego in front of what is best for the club either. Not saying Bent or Lambert are at fault here, because I don't read Twitter as a reliable source for information, but we are 18th in the table and we are not scoring goals.

Mild booing from the stands at HT tonight, at least from the 20K+ that decided to pop up.

I'm questioning the midfield selection.

Defence is excusable because we've been forced into the changes.

But Ireland should be a certain starter. There is literally nobody else in the whole squad who can play that position.

Just watched the "highlights" from the game, it was more like a bloopers reel, Add some Dire Straights-Walk of life and you have a youtube hit.

Massive win but it was one of the lowest quality PL.games i have ever watched, Guzan the stand out player.

Still not seeing what Lambert has brought to the table

So glad of the three points but Jesus Christ we were dreadful! The other positive is that Reading will definitely go down leaving only two more places to fill. It was worse than a Mcleish team out there and Lambert still has a lot of work to do to convince me he actually knows what he is doing. On that performance we would have lost to any other team in the Premiership tonight.