Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Can anyone think of any examples of good defenders who play for teams that let in the amount of goals that we do?

I'd say there aren't many examples because usually having good defenders means you have a good defence. I'm told that both Lowton and Vlaar are good players yet we concede close to 2 goals a game when they play together.

Vlaar has a better reputation than Collins but I've seen nothing to suggest he's a better defender. He hasn't been helped through injury or playing with inexperience but again that's down to how the manager has decided to build this defence.

I would imagine we'll see better off Vlaar if we sign a decent partner for him but that remains to be seen right now.

Maybe I've been watching too much Game of Thrones lately - but when you say this, which you have said a few times I imagine you living in a wood and a raven dropping you a note informing you of how lowton and vlaar have been doing.

Out of curiosity have you not seen much of them or do you mean your told on here they are good but you think otherwise from what you have seen. I'd prefer it though if you could humor me and say a raven told you ;)

Edited by villan_007

I do wonder though if Lambert will sign a new LB and what the plan will be for that position.

If he is once again given a limited budget, will he spend on that area of the team. I think he needs to but we may have to see a mixture of baker and Bennett out there again next year.

Can anyone think of any examples of good defenders who play for teams that let in the amount of goals that we do?

I'd say there aren't many examples because usually having good defenders means you have a good defence. I'm told that both Lowton and Vlaar are good players yet we concede close to 2 goals a game when they play together.

Vlaar has a better reputation than Collins but I've seen nothing to suggest he's a better defender. He hasn't been helped through injury or playing with inexperience but again that's down to how the manager has decided to build this defence.

I would imagine we'll see better off Vlaar if we sign a decent partner for him but that remains to be seen right now.

Maybe I've been watching too much Game of Thrones lately - but when you say this, which you have said a few times I imagine you living in a wood and a raven dropping you a note informing you of how lowton and vlaar have been doing.

Out of curiosity have you not seen much of them or do you mean your told on here they are good but you think otherwise from what you have seen. I'd prefer it though if you could humor me and say a raven told you ;)

It was actually a baby dragon.

I've seen plenty of them this year and don't think they've been good enough in terms of defending.

It was actually a baby dragon.

I've seen plenty of them this year and don't think they've been good enough in terms of defending.

Even better! :)

No-one that i have seen has blamed everything on the manager in the same way that no-one has blamed everything on the chairman.

They're not excuses. They're reasons. It's context. It's people trying to have a discussion about something rather than just declaring everything awful all the time.

it's people trying to find explanations for performances that might not revolve purely around the manager's incompetence.

It might surprise you, but not everyone blames every last thing on Paul Lambert. Dismissing their reasons behind this as excuses is doing exactly what you yourself have complained about in the past. It's dismissing others' opinions because they differ from your own.

Its relative.

The choice of manager and how he attributes funding to the club is down to the chairman and he has been rightly criticised by BJ10 and others for that.

The remit of the manager is to bring in the right coaching staff, prepare tactics, purchase players to fit those tactics and to win games. Lambert has again been rightly criticised by me, BJ10 and other posters due to the team's performance and results this season.

The mistakes have been elementary and juvenile and should not be expected of either a Premiership chairman or manager.

BJ10 and i and indeed other posters have criticised the current defence and midfield which contain the majority of Lambert's purchases. They have been simply awful. Both the results and performances prove that and Bennet was targeted last night and will be again due to being identified as a weakness as has our defending at set plays because Vlaar isn't a dominant CB who takes responsibility. Our midfield was already weak and really hasn't been improved upon as a collective with the purchases of KEA, Sylla and Westwood.

The only area which hasn't been targeted by BJ10 is our forwards. He has continually complemented Lambert on the purchase of Benteke, a player who has proven me wrong and has been Lambert's best signing.

Any supporter should have an allegiance to their own team but they also shouldn't be adversed to their respective team being criticised even by their own fan base when it is blatantly obvious that criticism is justified.

This is where BJ10 and i and several other posters are coming from. Its not that we see everything black and white. We just don't let that allegiance turn into excuses .  

Morpheus supports BJ10 - shock!!!

Jealous??

I support him when i think he's right as opposed to 'liking' a post when it contravenes my opinion.

THe only criticism I have of Lambert is his signings. Now I have had long enough to evaluate what he has got to work with, we are pretty much where we should be.

I cant think of many, if any teams above us with a worse squad? Maybe Norwich, maybe!

Thats not to say I have massive praise for him, as hes certainly not over-achieving. Just not under-achieving either. 

With our present squad starting the season under another manager such as Jol, Redknapp or Martinez, i believe we would be in a better position.

Those managers would not have made the elementary mistakes that Lambert has and would have identified the correct system to play with the players we have available. 

With our present squad starting the season under another manager such as Jol, Redknapp or Martinez, i believe we would be in a better position.

Those managers would not have made the elementary mistakes that Lambert has and would have identified the correct system to play with the players we have available. 

And? (Though I don't agree)

Mourinho and Fergie would too. Whats that got to do with Lamberts performance?

Im pretty sure if we had RVP instead of Benteke he would have scored more goals. Does that degrade Benteke's performance?

Your just basically highlighting that there is better managers out there than Paul Lambert. No shit!

How do we know we would have done better under those managers mentioned. Anybody can be successful at Man U and Chelsea. The only name mentioned that have done better is Martinez because he has done wonders at a club the size of Wigan

Redknapp is a good manager but he didn't work the wonders many predicted at QPR despite sizeable investment. I don't personally think Martinez or Jol would have done better with the same resources here either. Hughes was supposed to be the dogs dick until he was exposed at QPR.

It's also laughable that you have the hubris to think that you have spotted the "elementary mistakes" and "correct system" that Lambert and his entire coaching staff have missed. Lambert has years of experience of CL level football and works with the players day in, day out and yet you truly believe that you have a much better grasp of the tactics, systems, selections and transfers than him.

Judging by the performance of Redknapp and Martinez this season with clubs that aren't in too dissimilar a position to us, despite spending fucktonnes of money (in Redknapp's case), I wouldn't be confident that either of those managers would be doing any better with us than Lambert is.

and as they say over here in italy "if my uncle had three balls he'd be a pinball machine"

redknapp wouldn't have come to us without a huge budget to spunk so as to earn a bit of coin wedged in to brown envelopes (allegedly). Jol i rate, but why do you think he'd have magically struck on the "correct system"? do you think there is only one way to get our squad to win games? Jol would be a good man to start a long term project with, but a long term project does not mean you get instant results, even mourinho/guardiola/ancelotti would not have had us at the top end of the table immediatly. it's a process, PL has tried many formations and turned over a lot of different personnel given what he has at his disposal. i woudl expect any good manager to do the same in trying to get his philosophy across whilst finding the best blend of players and shape.

as for martinez, there's probably a reason he's not at liverpool and it wasn't loyalty. he's done good work and plays football the right way, i doubt he'd have come here and magically turned our squad into a better team than PL's managed to put together.

• Like 1

If lamberts overall plan is to emulate borussia Dortmund that will do for me.

Just let me know when it starts,though.

It is  ;)

Young team - tick

Attacking front four/formation - tick

I've always thought this and although we are a million miles away from that level (massive understatement) it proves it can be done without cash. Their team cost a lot less than ours to assemble. [edit - 29 million says Stan Collymore - wow)

Klopp bought Kagawa for 300k.

Just because we are trying to emulate them doesn't mean we will though...Klopp is just a genius.

Edited by supernova26

When your star striker cost 3.9 mill.... it is do able.

I've always said it ...its primarily talent spotting that will turn us around.... not how much money Randy Lerner stumps up.

We will never improve things by throwing money at it.... Dortmund is the model to look at.

The physical approach and power is something I would most like us to improve upon.... we look far too wimpy at times, particularly against the likes of Man U.

Its not about age as some will have you belive its about ability and application.

The Man U game was more of a horror show than I could possibly have imagined.

There have been improvements in our game during the season, but primarily they have been of an offensive nature.... defensively against Man U we were woeful.

we have recently seen Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund take on 2 of the worlds best teams in a pressure cooker of a champions league semi final.

whilst I am not trying to compare Bayern or Dortmund With Aston Villa what I am attempting to do is show how young players from those 2 teams defied the over powering quality of the 2 spanish giants by closing them down and denying them space.... both teams were winning most of the second balls and approched the game with a strong physical and mental belief.

sure the 2 German teams are much better than us, but on paper they were not rated better than the 2 Spanish teams.... none the less they got stuck in.

In contrast, what we did at Old trafford was the complete opposite, it was puny, wimpy and had no physical or mental belief of any description.

There are still some very serious questions to be asked of our players and on Monday night I seen no sign of any answers ....had United not decided to turn the second half in to a training session we would have been well and truly buried.

There is certainly a hell of a long way to go for us....I want to see a bit more " eye of the tiger" from Lamberts team.

a mean streak needs to creep in to our game.

Ps it wasn't the loss ( we all expected that) it was the manner.

• Like 2

It is  ;)

Young team - tick

I've always thought this and although we are a million miles away from that level (massive understatement) it proves it can be done without cash. Their team cost a lot less than ours to assemble. [edit - 29 million says Stan Collymore - wow)

Just because we are trying to emulate them doesn't mean we will though...Klopp is just a genius.

If it happens I will be delighted. It is true we are entertaining and attack minded most of the time. We have not clicked yet though.

But be a mini dortmund? Yes please.

Lambo sometimes gets his tactics a lil careless. The team against united for example was far too attacking. In those kind of games we have to line up snit more negativity. We really need to learn to hold the ball and frustrate teams

Yep, it was a bit naive by PL to try that formation. With Man U putting out a strong team to try and win the trophy then and there, he should have played a 5-3-2, to mitigate their pressure somewhat. 

It is  ;)

Young team - tick

The problem with this is (and let me say I don't have a problem if this is our plan, I'm all for it. I'm just thinking out loud) that Dortmund are a big enough club, even before they got to this level, to hold onto those kind of players when they get good.

I don't think we are. 

We're a big club, but if we bought a Lewandowski for 3 million, and he performed incredibly well, then he'd get snapped up by someone else. Hell that's probably what will happen with Benteke.