Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Won the game? Last game he won was Liverpool.

Last game he won? I'd like to think that was a typo and you meant to say we won but having seen you anim_wanking.gif over him in the Bannan thread I'm not so sure.

Edited by markavfc40

I'm saying what I'd do in that situation.

No you aren't. You keep talking as if you know the motivation behind Lambert's decisions or the instructions he gives to his players when you haven't a clue. You just state it as fact in order to give weight to your increasingly daft statements.

Sorry if this has already been covered by why did he sub N'Zogbia? He was our most dangerous player. The only thing I can think of is he's saving him for the Bradford game. Even so poor decision. Prem league survival is more important than a cup imo

Lambert said

“I took him off. He wasn’t injured. He’s back from a long lay-off so you have to watch him. We have games coming up. We have to protect him.

Makes sense to me. But it's one of those where a manager will get criticised for taking him off, and also criticised for leaving him on if he then gets a strain or an injury, on the basis that he should have played him in gradually. (I don't mean your post).

At the moment, it seems to me there's a lot of people wanting to know which side of the bed Lambert sleeps on, so they can say it should be the other side.

• Like 2

Lambert is a poor manager for Villa.

In your opinion.

He has evidenced this since his appointment by signing lower league players and throwing them in alongside academy players and hoping to do okay in the PL.

You can't blame him for the academy players mate. I bet he'd rather have brought in even more players. I think you're a bit unreasonable. His signings have on the most part looked pretty good. We signed about 8 players for 20million, I don't see how he could have done much better.

He has presided over our worst start to a PL season and the worst goal difference I can ever remember.

He has not shown, to any level of consistency, that he has the ability to succeed at VP.

Come on man, we have been in a mess for years. These things are hardly surprising. "He has not shown to any consistency"? But he has shown the ability sometimes? Then maybe he deserves more than the 6 months you want to give him. Particularly with how shit the starting squad was.

That requires a defensive midfielder to help control the game in the middle of the park.

We don't have one. Lambert didn't buy one.

By some accounts we did - Karim El Ahamadi, only he's one of the signings who hasn't worked out so well. No manager is going to have 100% of his signings effective straight away. I still think KEA can be good for Villa but he doesn't look like much of a premiership defensive midfielder.

• Like 1

Lambert, don't play bannan ever again, and you will have a little more support, he is useless. I watched the game in detail and the number of times he got caught in possession without even knowing was amateur and don't even get me on his floaty corners. Also we need to buy some quality to replace Bennett, or please just give Warnock a go, then I don't think we will be to bad!!!

What worried me today was the inability to react to what WBA were doing. They came out in the second half and piled pressure on us, and they didn't do it because of a few inspirational words from the manager, they did it by pressuring our wing-backs (who dropped deeper) to create a back 5, which left the midfield short and the front men isolated. A good manager would have done something to change what was becoming obvious i.e. we were struggling and they were going to get something from the game.

Starting a game with a formation doesn't mean you stick with it no matter what. Most managers change it up during the game to exploit a weakness or cover one up.

What worried me today was the inability to react to what WBA were doing. They came out in the second half and piled pressure on us, and they didn't do it because of a few inspirational words from the manager, they did it by pressuring our wing-backs (who dropped deeper) to create a back 5, which left the midfield short and the front men isolated. A good manager would have done something to change what was becoming obvious i.e. we were struggling and they were going to get something from the game.

Starting a game with a formation doesn't mean you stick with it no matter what. Most managers change it up during the game to exploit a weakness or cover one up.

I agree with this to an extent. I don't think the youngsters can handle pressure regardless of the formation. He kept the same shape that he did against Liverpool and if its wasn't for a set piece we would have won today. A change to shape and different substitutions would not have kept their second goal out.

We got a point. Lets move on.

• Like 1

Lambert changes his formation more than most, this season alone is evidence of this.

Maybe he thought we were just about hanging on with 5 at the back and a shift would leave too many holes there?

Lambert changes his formation more than most, this season alone is evidence of this.

Maybe he thought we were just about hanging on with 5 at the back and a shift would leave too many holes there?

If we hadn't conceded the second goal Lambert would be praised now. It's slim margins. By alls means blame him for our overall predactimemt but nit picking on decision he made today is just looking for sticks to beat him with.

Am I allowed to talk about the quality shown in the first half or is it just going to be ignored?

No because Lambert has nothing to do with any of that. Apparently Vlaar picked the team, Nzog picked the formation and Bentake chose the tactics. Unfortunately Bannan felt that Baker should play on the left side of the back 3 and Lambert agreed to this. This is why he got Injured.

• Like 1

If we hadn't conceded the second goal Lambert would be praised now. It's slim margins. By alls means blame him for our overall predactimemt but nit picking on decision he made today is just looking for sticks to beat him with.

It was pretty obvious once the second half started what was going to happen. The only surprise was that we didn't concede a third.

The manager could have done a lot more to defend a 2 goal lead.

It was pretty obvious once the second half started what was going to happen. The only surprise was that we didn't concede a third.

The manager could have done a lot more to defend a 2 goal lead.

Maybe but on the same note if the manger is to blame for us losing a 2 goal lead then shouldn't he be given some credit for us having a 2-0 lead which should have been 3.

Villa been blowing leads for as long as I can remember.

how very dare you.

**** it.

I thought we played some magnificent football today. Lambert got us set up absolutely spot on, we were quick out of the gates and we shell shocked West Brom into submission. Such was our dominance I was almost, almost, confident of victory.

We defended in numbers, looked organised and resolute and we attacked with a pace and guile I've not seen for a long time. Very enjoyable.

West Brom though, they're a good side. They picked themselves up at half time and the strike from Brunt allowed them to take a strangle hold of the game, always the way when you're the home side sniffing a come back. Especially when you're also clearly the better side on paper.

That said but for a couple of injuries that forced our hand I thought we held together well. Gutting of course, again. I'd love a bit of luck to bounce our way. But I can't find much fault with the performance.

I think our form is turning. Roll on Tuesday.

• Like 3

Maybe but on the same note if the manger is to blame for us losing a 2 goal lead then shouldn't he be given some credit for us having a 2-0 lead which should have been 3.

Villa been blowing leads for as long as I can remember.

I thought we were great first half. We created a number of good chances and West Brom could only muster speculative shots from distance.

We need to be playing well for 90 mins though rather than 45 or we will not be in this league next season.

**** it.

I thought we played some magnificent football today. Lambert got us set up absolutely spot on, we were quick out of the gates and we shell shocked West Brom into submission. Such was our dominance I was almost, almost, confident of victory.

We defended in numbers, looked organised and resolute and we attacked with a pace and guile I've not seen for a long time. Very enjoyable.

West Brom though, they're a good side. They picked themselves up at half time and the strike from Brunt allowed them to take a strangle hold of the game, always the way when you're the home side sniffing a come back. Especially when you're also clearly the better side on paper.

That said but for a couple of injuries that forced our hand I thought we held together well. Gutting of course, again. I'd love a bit of luck to bounce our way. But I can't find much fault with the performance.

I think our form is turning. Roll on Tuesday.

i agree, thought we played some tidy,even exciting stuff. Much better than at anfield, tide's turning I feel. Signings are still needed though