Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I do wonder sometimes what has happened on the training pitch as some moves are just illogical.. Take today for example.. Every cross/corner was floated in, this must be some instructions the players are receiving. I just don't get it, they are so easier to defend against.. Why don't we whip anything in with pace putting the defenders on the back foot and where a deflection could easily land an own goal or corner

Not true. There where plenty of "whipped" crosses into the box today. Not a single one beat the first man. In fact, there was only one decent cross from I believe Bennett the entire match.

Basically, they're just not good enough.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

One of the main things i currently despise about our team is how **** weak everyone but Benteke is.

It's so pathetic watching our players trying to tackle and win the ball.

Our players aren't great physical athletes and they aren't technically good players.

Quite frankly the worst bunch of players I've ever seen in my time as a villa fan.

Edited by Big_John_10

Not true. There where plenty of "whipped" crosses into the box today. Not a single one beat the first man. In fact, there was only one decent cross from I believe Bennett the entire match.

Basically, they're just not good enough.

I disagree, every corner was gently floated towards back post (sometimes even out the back of the 6 yrd box) towards Benteke, however they were that slow that the defenders either had plenty of time to get ahead of him, or he had to head back across goal.. The balls just weren't of the speed to be attacked

Even if true, so what? He's the boss. He's earned the right.

As soon as the results turn the knives come out don't they. I hate all this petty shite. Next thing you know rumours will be he's "lost the dressing room".

I also heard that :P

8-0, 4-0 at home and 3-0 at home to Wigan - has there been a worse run of results, ever? Playing with 3/5 at the back when you only have 1 fit centre back is shocking. The midfield is none-existant, their centre backs were able to pick the ball up and run at us, I just don't get how it could be so poor.

I do think Lambert is still the man for the job, but Randy needs to make a decision. If he doesn't trust him with money then sack him, I wouldn't argue that decision given our form. But if he does trust him then he has to back him. Under Houllier we spent in Jan and it saved us. Last season we didn't and we were in serious trouble until the end of the 37th game of the season.

I think psychical strength is the main key, as someone said before all our players look weak and skinny/lightweight. We beat Liverpool but their fans are often complaining how 'lightweight' their players are (see 3-1 vs stoke also). Even Barca have some big hard nuts in their team. We have a team of weaklings/kids who are just knocked or blocked off the ball easy. If we get some new players in, make them big and strong.

Big believer in what Lambert is trying to do - but I'm having some doubts.

I hear that Lambert changes his formations - but I am only ever seeing 3-5-2.

I hear that Lambert utilises his squad - yet I see fit players frozen out.

I hear that Lambert instills an attacking style - yet we have the least goals in the league.

I hear that he has a good eye for young talent - but I see boys in the place of men.

The first 30 mins in yesterdays match against Wigan was the worst PL performance I have seen. The players were at sixes and sevens, not knowing who to mark, where to be and what to do when we had it. At the 30 minute mark Wigan had 78% possession!

He needs to turn things around quickly. Regardless of injuries or inexperience the performances we have seen lately dont suggest that his methods or ideology are working.

It is obvious we need a spine, 3 or 4 tough players who can run a game, having inexperienced players is fine as long as they go into an established team with an established style that can bring them on and cover any mistakes they make. PL is doing what we wanted him to do but he is doing it way too quickly. I do believe he is following the clubs plan of removing and replacing the top players with cheaper replacements, In truth Bent aside there are not any experienced high earning players at this club who you could say could come in and change things, they are experienced but very average players so they do need to go. I hope the plan was to survive this season getting rid of the dross then moving on next year when they have gone and we have the tv money, PL may actually be doing a great job to a plan but unless the brass say so we will never know, this is the reason I am reluctant to critisize PL.

The injuries we now have has totally wrecked the plan and has got PL worried, Hopefully the meeting is for PL to say that unless he starts to bring in these better players now the plan will fail as the young players need help.

Edited by VillakevBromsgrove

I'm still backing Lambert despite a horrendous run of results. He's here for the long haul imo, and we all knew that when he came. I don't think there's anybody better suited for the task at hand (and it's a huge task mind). As long as Lerner seriously backs him in the next two windows, I have faith that Lambert can still turn this around. We can't have 9 or so kids playing at the same time. I think that is the bulk of our problem, despite how good some of them are individually (Westwood and Benteke chiefly).

I hear that Lambert changes his formations - but I am only ever seeing 3-5-2.

Most games this season haven't used that formation.

In the last two games, he started with that, then changed at half time (leading to conceding more goals, though it was the right change to make, in my view).

Most games this season haven't used that formation.

In the last two games, he started with that, then changed at half time (leading to conceding more goals, though it was the right change to make, in my view).

He definitely didn't start like that against Spurs, he started with one up front. Either way playing 5 at the back isn't doing us much good IMO but we desperately need Vlaar back as the thought of Herd and Clark as the centre back pairing is the stuff of nightmares.

I questioned some of Lambert's decision making earlier in the season and it appears to me like lessons still haven't been learnt by him.

Herd is a defensive midfielder but Lambert seems to persist with playing him everywhere bar his natural position. I was amazed that he had him playing in the middle of a back three yesterday. With the players we had available to us, I can understand why he would have used Herd in a defensive position but I think he should have played him at right back, with Lichaj playing left back in a flat back four. Lowton could have partnered Clark at CB. We could have then played Benteke and Weimann up top and had a middle four of Holman, Ireland, Westwood and either of Bannan, Albrighton or Delph.

I just didn't like the fact that our only natural CB was playing the left of a back three just because he was the only natural left-footer of the three.

I also thought the subs were wrong too. I thought Bennett was appalling the whole game and yet he left him on and took off Lichaj, who seemed the better of our full backs on the day. He also took off Ireland, who appeared to be our best midfielder and the only one capable of doing something creative!

Overall, I am not convinced by Lambert. Everyone goes on about him knowing what he's doing. Does he really know that his team selection and transfer policy is taking us towards relegation? People say that, if we go down, we will be better for it and he will bring us straight back up. Wouldn't relegation be the first failure of Lambert's managerial career? If so, how do we know that he won't feel so ashamed about it that he resigns? So much for the big plan then! I have watched him closely these last few games and I am not sure the guy knows what he's doing. In fact, I would say that right now he is clueless as to how to rectify things. I have also watched the players closely and their body language doesn't seem right either. They appear to not know what to do at any given time.

I am really worried that Lambert may not be the manager that everyone thought he would be. Taking over a small club like Norwich and taking a collective group of players through divisions with momentum behind you is different to taking over at a struggling, sleeping giant and trying to build a new group with young and unproven players from the lower leagues and a weaker foreign league. I know that he inherited an average group of players but surely he now has to play the likes of Bent, Gabby, Ireland, N'Zogbia etc when fit because they have a better knowledge of what this league is all about and that's what we need in the team if we are to survive. Of course, we have to wait for them to be fit again!

• Like 1

He definitely didn't start like that against Spurs, he started with one up front. Either way playing 5 at the back isn't doing us much good IMO but we desperately need Vlaar back as the thought of Herd and Clark as the centre back pairing is the stuff of nightmares.

Yes, I was thinking of the 3 or 5 at the back, which is the bit that bemuses me.