Paul Lambert

Pilchard

He was lucky to inherit some decent players. None of the midfielders he has bought are even halfway decent. Westwood, KEA and Sylla are all dreadful. His fullbacks aren't much cleverer either.

picard.jpg

You've highlighted a word that's in the OED. Why is that?

Haha

You should have just posted the same picture.

He was lucky to inherit some decent players.  None of the midfielders he has bought are even halfway decent.  Westwood, KEA and Sylla are all dreadful.  His fullbacks aren't much cleverer either.

picard.jpg

You've highlighted a word that's in the OED.  Why is that?

Sorry Sam  ;)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC75aU47GRk

Yes Westwood is rubbish. Benteke is a one season wonder.

Aside from all this - what's the intended style of play?  Once the project is truly taking shape what will it look like?  As far as the fans know this could be it.  I think people are frustrated that we can't seem to pass the ball to each other, and we struggle to create chances, especially at home.

Who would be in the side if we had a comparable budget to, say, Southampton?

Prob less than half. Who has lambert signed for £13m and on 40k a week. That gets you a wanyama. Look at what they spend. Did u read the Cardiff chief exec and what they spent? Villa are a big club historically but in terms of current spending power it is bottom 3 or 4 all day long.

Is it likely we may be able to get more than 1 player in January though? We've been linked with a left back now, so that is a few links to different types of players (although we know that they are often bollocks).

As for the cleverer/more clever debate, that should probably be left to off-topic section but my view is the same as HH, it may be in the dictionary but cleverer is certainly not a clever word to use - especially in reference to a person's lack of intelligence. Thanks for the trombone though Gentleman, tosser :D

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

I think some of the players he signed are rubbish but some of them are brilliant.

For example. Benteke is struggling at the moment but for some reason the whole side isnt playing as well as the end of last season. Bring in a winger and an AM who could supply him with service and he may be a good player again.

Same goes with Westwood. Alongside Delph he goes okay but El Ahmadi is not good enough. All 3 are similar midfielders and we need an AM to sit infront of Westwood and Delph who will do the dirty work.

Helenius hasnt had a chance.Kozak has scored more than Wiemann and Gabby. Again with no service. Okore will be an awesome signing and Vlaar is really showing his worth this season.

Full backs are struggling.. again due to a lack of protection. If they had better protection by the wingers or change of formation they would be more solid.

• Like 1

Still think he is the man to take us forward. This home record needs to change thou!

i want to give him time but these performances can't continue

I expect 9 points from the next 4 games 

2 of them are away which will be suited to our style and one is crystal palace at home which i expect 3 from

If we truly have progressed from last season this should not be beyond our grasp

Yes Westwood is rubbish. Benteke is a one season wonder.

Aside from all this - what's the intended style of play?  Once the project is truly taking shape what will it look like?  As far as the fans know this could be it.  I think people are frustrated that we can't seem to pass the ball to each other, and we struggle to create chances, especially at home.

Who would be in the side if we had a comparable budget to, say, Southampton?

I can answer that. Lambert does not have a style of play, or rather he is changeable. He was a tactical tinkerman at Norwich and he has been here.

Since he has been at Villa he has played a possession game, long ball, pressing, standing off,  4-2-2-2, 4-2-4, 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-5-1, 5-3-2 and 3-5-2. He will continue to do the exact same changeable process going forward.

If you dont like how Lambert has Villa playing right now then stick around, it will be different again in a while.

Thats who he is, it is who he always has been.

Prob less than half. Who has lambert signed for £13m and on 40k a week. That gets you a wanyama. Look at what they spend. Did u read the Cardiff chief exec and what they spent? Villa are a big club historically but in terms of current spending power it is bottom 3 or 4 all day long.

This is what people don't understand. If Villa are mid table Lambert had overachieved compared to the financials he's been given. Expecting him to progress Villa to mid table when the other sides are spending more is expecting major overachievement.

• Like 4

Still think he is the man to take us forward. This home record needs to change thou!

i want to give him time but these performances can't continue

I expect 9 points from the next 4 games 

2 of them are away which will be suited to our style and one is crystal palace at home which i expect 3 from

If we truly have progressed from last season this should not be beyond our grasp

You expect 3pts from Crystal Pulis? Have you not been paying attention to other games? High-flying Everton could only manage a 0-0 draw at home to them

Who is going to do better than Paul Lambert?

In all honesty, with the lack of funds he has available he's doing the best he can.

We're going from using experienced premier league players to mostly unknowns 18 months ago. I don't remember the previous experienced lot doing much better, be it they were costing the club a fortune!

True we're playing badly but with the young inexperienced players at his disposal that is no surprise. He's scouting unknown players from abroad and lower divisions and using others coming through the youth system.

Don't forget he's not that experienced himself. A lot of supporters last year were saying that this was a long term project and that hasn't changed in my eyes.

We don't like it but unless a Billionaire is bored and decides to buy the club for a hobby that's not going to change any time soon.

In Lambert I trust...still

Somebody with a more expansive approach to the game of football perhaps.

Like who? and would they want the job given the financial constraints they'll be working within

Lambert spent a lot in the 2012/2013 season. It was the 3rd highest transfer expenditure in a season by the club in the last 10 years

And he had to replace a lot of players for that, including a whole back four, a midfield and striker.

I pointed out that my expectations of a win on Sunday were low given the clear disparity in the standard of the squads, and used Rooney as an example of a player who probably earns more than our entire team as an illustration of that.  

Morpheus obviously and predictably (mis)interpreted that as me saying "no team could ever beat another team if that team earns more"

Nope you used Rooney's income to try and excuse our defeat and it wasn't just me who took you to task over that.

:crylaugh:

Lambert has to go.

His football is dull -after being the manager for a year and a half we have ended up relying on Tonev and Albrighton to provide the main supply to our strikers! Shocking really.

The latest transfer window was poor with few signings impressing on a consistent basis and money wasted on another striker when we're short in other parts of the team.

The style of football has got far worse and the team looks disjointed.

Time for a change of manager.

Yes, he should have tried for players like Sissoko or Kiyotake or Lukaku.............oohh, hang on a minute

Ah, so you're willing to make the decision for him to go, but you have absolutely no solution or ideas for his replacement. Fairly apt.

I'm not making the decision for him to go - I'm expressing an opinion that I would like him to leave. Tad different!

As for the other point as advised it is not my job to find his replacement!

Standard response

Foreign manager for me, like that Southampton guy. Different style of football completely, instead of this Irish Scottish dull stuff we have been getting since O'Neil.

So, we are beginning to narrow it down.....a foreign manager, like that Southampton guy (you mean Mauricio Pochettino)........I wonder if he has a brother?

• Like 1