Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Serious question

When we loose - and we are all hurting, the team we devote hours and pounds to has just been beaten.  What would you like the manager to say to make you feel better ? - Not just Lambert ....any manager of Aston Villa ?

"I'd like to apologise to the supporters for that inept rubbish. We will learn our mistakes from that game which were A, B and C. We will work on them in the training ground as hard as we can"

Surely all that's a given, though? Bar the apology I guess. If he comes out and says 'sorry we were crap, but look at the defence I've had to use today' it doesn't really do much for the confidence of some pretty ordinary players he needs to rely on. He needs to do all that behind closed doors depending on the individual.

• Like 1

Serious question

When we loose - and we are all hurting, the team we devote hours and pounds to has just been beaten.  What would you like the manager to say to make you feel better ? - Not just Lambert ....any manager of Aston Villa ? 

"I'd like to apologise to the supporters for that inept rubbish. We will learn our mistakes from that game which were A, B and C. We will work on them in the training ground as hard as we can"

Are players that stupid that they can't see if they've played well or badly? What is the purpose of saying how bad they were in the media for millions of people to see?

By highlighting some of the glaring issues it shows they see them as a problem and are going to focus on them. Our problems are easy to see, any fool can spot it.

I wish he'd have blasted the players for our defending of corners last season. It may have helped!

I'd rather we didn't have to bother with post-match interviews. The only purpose they serve is to give journo's a few quotes.

Especially with players, when has a player said anything other than 'ummmmm...  all about the three points really... at the end of the day'

exactly ! - scan any footy forum and I am sure you will never find:-

"Well we lost today - but our manager gave a blinding post match interview - good on him " 

There is nothing he can say to make it alright 

• Like 1

Serious question

Are players that stupid that they can't see if they've played well or badly? What is the purpose of saying how bad they were in the media for millions of people to see?

By highlighting some of the glaring issues it shows they see them as a problem and are going to focus on them. Our problems are easy to see, any fool can spot it.

I wish he'd have blasted the players for our defending of corners last season. It may have helped!

In public? He probably blasted them in private which is the correct thing to do in some cases.

Management is about managing your players. Not just on the pitch but off it as well.

• Like 1

As for those saying Vlaar being out made all the difference you are quite frankly kidding yourselves. Central defence wasn't the main issue today. It was the fullback areas especially Bacuna who is becoming a liability at fullback and the fact we were totally out fought in midfield and didn't get a look in.

Who says Vlaar being out made all the difference? All some people are saying is that we missed him today and we did. He's by far our best defender and probably one of our best players overall and I don't think people pointing out that we missed one of our best players is a case of them "kidding themselves".

I didn't see the game - but he is one of few experenced pro's - he's a massive loss - we imploded without him last season - which is why I thought PL would have covered this area in the summer..........

As for those saying Vlaar being out made all the difference you are quite frankly kidding yourselves. Central defence wasn't the main issue today. It was the fullback areas especially Bacuna who is becoming a liability at fullback and the fact we were totally out fought in midfield and didn't get a look in.

Who says Vlaar being out made all the difference? All some people are saying is that we missed him today and we did. He's by far our best defender and probably one of our best players overall and I don't think people pointing out that we missed one of our best players is a case of them "kidding themselves".

I didn't see the game - but he is one of few experenced pro's - he's a massive loss - we imploded without him last season - which is why I thought PL would have covered this area in the summer..........

I have no problem with Lambert's buys in the defensive department. Okore may be young but he looked pretty calm and composed. It was a massive shame he got that long-term injury.

I do agree though that Vlaar was a massive loss and I don't think why people are being chided for pointed this out.

Lambert blames the referee...didn't see that coming!

He's got a point though, and as HH said Lambert is never going to publicly blame the players. I have no issue with his post-match interviews.

His post-match interviews are almost as annoying as DOL's at times.

Weve lost 0-2 and not played well. I fail to see what the manager (any manager) can say to make that all right ?  - TBH I don't know why managers are interviewed after games - once youve heard about 3 post match interviews youve heard them all.

It's funny how this was never an excuse for DOL or TSM though.

For me, the only criticism of him really is his transfers. 

7 players bought in the first season. Very few made any impact.

Another 7 players bought and the starting line up doesn't improve one bit.

After that, its a miracle we are where we are because he is working with some of the worst footballers I have ever seen. Yes he bought them and he takes responsibility as the manager but I guarantee his team talk is not: 'Go out there and consistently fail to perform the basic fundamentals of football that you learn at school level'. 

If he left the club tomorrow would I be upset? Not at all.

And who would you get to replace him? Another manager with more different ideals resulting in more transition?

Yes, we're not playing well at the moment, but I wouldn't say we're in a terrible situation. Sacking Lambert would be madness at this moment in time.

We need more width. Whenever we've played with width this season we've looked quite good as it opens up gaps and pulls defenders out of position. But Lambert seems hell bent on trying to get a narrow formation working and I just don't understand it. When everything is compact in the middle of the park we struggle because we're incredibly bad with moving the ball on the floor.

Serious question

"The players can look at their own performance over the next few days, here is what I think I got wrong today - <Insert Manager talking about decisions he made which he believes were a mistake>"

That would work for me.

If you strip out all of your players, replace them with what you can on a shoestring budget in the worlds biggest and most competitive league, you're going to be awful. And what do you know, we're awful. I agree there's a lot Lambert could be doing better but there's nothing he could do to actually make us compete for anything. It's all a bit of a pointless exercise unless there is some investment. We won't go down and we won't do well and we won't win anything. YAAAAY TO ANOTHER SEASON

Edited by Spoony

Who says Vlaar being out made all the difference? All some people are saying is that we missed him today and we did. He's by far our best defender and probably one of our best players overall

Vlaar is our best defender and that in itself is a joke. He wouldn't get into the starting 11 at two thirds of Prem clubs.

The biggest joke of all though is that we go into a Premiership season with one experienced centre back and three young and inexperienced centre backs two of which had in the main shown themselves to be a liability at this level last season and not ready. Oh and your one experienced centre back has been known in the past to be prone to injury. Don't then be surprised and cry over the fact that at some point you are left with two inexperienced centre backs.

Injuries are a part of football. It's why having a decent squad of players is so crucial. We don't have a decent squad though. We have a decent best 11 and beyond that we are poor. I don't blame Lambert for that though. I'd put the vast majority of the blame for that squarely with Lerner.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

I find it completely and utterly bizarre how often there are calls for him to go on here.

Agreed. The frightening (and positive) thing about performances like today is that we are still (results wise/table position) showing massive improvements. If he could actually seek out decent players who can improve the team straight away, we would probably be top of the league.