Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I don't think it should be completely discounted that for long periods of the game, Southampton were chasing an equaliser at home so possession stats are going to be in their favour.

I see some people are still finding something to moan about, if we'd had the 21 chances with 75% possession and still only won 3-2, there would be people moaning that we aren't 'clinical' enough.

It wasn't pretty, but we got the job done. Well done Paul!

Edited by Woody1000
  • Like 1

I'd say if anything we were unlucky last night.

The plan was working perfectly until Vlaar got injured and let them get on the scoreboard.

If I hadn't watched the match I think I could believe that. However Guzan made a great save in the first half from a header in a not dissimilar position from their first goal last night. I don't think Vlaar going off made a big difference. You give their wide players the kind of space we did then you are inviting balls being crossed into the box and, as was shown in both the first and second half last night, one is eventually going to be met by one of the attackers.

Edited by markavfc40

The plan was working perfectly until Vlaar got injured and let them get on the scoreboard.

If I hadn't watched the match I think I could believe that. However Guzan made a great save in the first half from a header in a not dissimilar position from their first goal last night. I don't think Vlaar going off made a big difference. You give their wide players the kind of space we did then you are inviting balls being crossed into the box and, as was shown in both the first and second half last night, one is eventually going to be met by one of the attackers.

They did have one good chance which Guzan saved, I agree with that, and I would have liked the wingbacks closing down the crosses faster but I think we created as many good scoring chances as they did and Vlaar would have won more in the air than Lowton so we were unlucky to lose him when we did.

so we have beaten the league leaders, the team with the most money and the team until last night had the best defence in the league.

not a bad start to the season :)

And not a bad late entry for the "Most Selective Stats Quote of 2013" Award (although you have stiff competition on this messageboard).  ;)

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

so we have beaten the league leaders, the team with the most money and the team until last night had the best defence in the league.

And not a bad late entry for the "Most Selective Stats Quote of 2013" Award (although you have stiff competition on this messageboard).

Cheer up mate, it's just a fun stat!

• Like 1

I don't think it should be completely discounted that for long periods of the game, Southampton were chasing an equaliser at home so possession stats are going to be in their favour.

I see some people are still finding something to moan about, if we'd had the 21 chances with 75% possession and still only won 3-2, there would be people moaning that we aren't 'clinical' enough.

It wasn't pretty, but we got the job done. Well done Paul!

21 chances, 75% possession and winning a 5 goal thriller... That would actually be value for money and would keep me going.

Edited by Raver50032

Nobody's moaning about people moaning about our home form - some just find it a bit odd how negative this place can be despite some pretty decent results. We may not challenge for Europe but we're a far cry from 12 months ago.

They did have one good chance which Guzan saved, I agree with that, and I would have liked the wingbacks closing down the crosses faster but I think we created as many good scoring chances as they did and Vlaar would have won more in the air than Lowton so we were unlucky to lose him when we did.

I agree despite all their possession they created very few clear cut chances. Aside from the two goals Guzan only had the one excellent save to make. This is why I don't think Vlaar going off made much of a difference. They didn't have great chance after great chance in the second half. In fact aside from the goals the other real chance they had in the game came in the first half.

I wouldn't want to see us give any team the kind of time and space we gave Southampton out wide last night again though. They created two goals and another excellent chance from crosses. Although the centre backs defended well we were perhaps a little fortunate that they didn't put better quality into the box more often.

If we're still relying on Tony Pulis hoofball in 3 years time in order to survive then we would have a right to moan. But clearly under Lambert we have played exciting stuff at the end of last season playing 3 if not 4 forwards at a time, basically because that was the best of what was available to him. This season Weimann and Benteke are suffering from second-season syndrome so playing free-flowing stuff is not realistic unfortunately as we don't have the back-up options. Lambert clearly wants an attacking midfielder so I can only see this style as temporary until he further adds to the squad. He's getting the best out of the squad he has, one that he is transforming completely in front of our very eyes in a very short time scale. Just think of how much more progress we will see with another year or two at this rate. It is the turn around in the belief of the players that is truly outstanding, Lambert's man management has been excellent. Added to his scouting of players things can surely only improve.

And not a bad late entry for the "Most Selective Stats Quote of 2013" Award (although you have stiff competition on this messageboard).  ;)

Cheer up mate, it's just a fun stat!

Oh dear, it was also meant to b a fun response. I''ve edited a "wink" into the post so everyone knows.  :)

Edited by briny_ear

Nobody's moaning about people moaning about our home form - some just find it a bit odd how negative this place can be despite some pretty decent results. We may not challenge for Europe but we're a far cry from 12 months ago.

• Like 1

If we're still relying on Tony Pulis hoofball in 3 years time in order to survive then we would have a right to moan. But clearly under Lambert we have played exciting stuff at the end of last season playing 3 if not 4 forwards at a time, basically because that was the best of what was available to him. This season Weimann and Benteke are suffering from second-season syndrome so playing free-flowing stuff is not realistic unfortunately as we don't have the back-up options. Lambert clearly wants an attacking midfielder so I can only see this style as temporary until he further adds to the squad. He's getting the best out of the squad he has, one that he is transforming completely in front of our very eyes in a very short time scale. Just think of how much more progress we will see with another year or two at this rate. It is the turn around in the belief of the players that is truly outstanding, Lambert's man management has been excellent. Added to his scouting of players things can surely only improve.

Nail on the head.  Lambert is genuinely doing a superb job.  Of course there are going to be times when things aren't running smoothly and we play poorly but its clear that we are a club that is becoming stable once more and gearing up for another upward swing.  Rome wasn't built in a day, be patient and get behind what is happening at Aston Villa F.C..  The more we stick together and push the club on the more confident and better our players will feel.   I still don't feel this Villa team has actually played to it's potential yet - when we do we will give someone a hiding.

• Like 3

Morning all, thought it might be time to take a wee general look at where the team/club are.

I don't want to go on again about finances but last night we beat a team that spend crazy money in the summer. Look at the table and we are ahead of a lot of sides who spend much much more than us in the summer and the last couple of years. They also pay more wages so without going on about that we are punching above our weight as such in terms of where we are and what we are spending.

But would like to look at things from a football perspective.

Signings: Has the manager performed well in the transfer market for what he has spent. I think you have to say yes. Benteke was a inspired signing and how good has Vlaar turned out to be. It's early days for some but Bacuna looks decent, Luna is an improvement on what was already there and Kozak has performed well enough and scored a goal or two. KEA has been decent enough. Lowton will come good. Westwood has been great. Yes, there are some who haven't been great but at least they've not crippled the club financially.

Making players better: Guzan has been terrific under Lambert since he was given a chance. Baker and Clarke have improved a great deal this season from last. Delph is now playing his best football under the current manager. I'd also say Gabby has been great under him and better than he was in previous years. Maybe worth giving the manager credit for that.

Style of football: Not what everyone would like/hope. But the manager is 18 months into what he envisaged to be a 5 year project. Right now he simply has to pick up points and play to the strengths of  the players he has at his disposal. That will change. Norwich weren't too bad on the eye under him. His teams try to score. Better players will allow the style of football to improve. But that is for further down the line.

I don't want to go on and on but thought it would be worth taking a general look at what the manager has achieved in a short space of time. Not everyone is going to be delighted and you could pick faults with every manager. But improvements have been made and continue to do so.

As I always point out, there will be ups and downs but that's Villa right now. I think there will be more ups though - and they've been a few already this season :P :P :P :P

Thats a great post. If what we are seeing now is an interim phase - fine - however if we stick at this style - I don't think I could approve in the long term.........that said Delph's goal was a joy to behold ......he looked like he regularly does those !!!

• Like 1

Morning all, thought it might be time to take a wee general look at where the team/club are.

I don't want to go on again about finances but last night we beat a team that spend crazy money in the summer. Look at the table and we are ahead of a lot of sides who spend much much more than us in the summer and the last couple of years. They also pay more wages so without going on about that we are punching above our weight as such in terms of where we are and what we are spending.

But would like to look at things from a football perspective.

Signings: Has the manager performed well in the transfer market for what he has spent. I think you have to say yes. Benteke was a inspired signing and how good has Vlaar turned out to be. It's early days for some but Bacuna looks decent, Luna is an improvement on what was already there and Kozak has performed well enough and scored a goal or two. KEA has been decent enough. Lowton will come good. Westwood has been great. Yes, there are some who haven't been great but at least they've not crippled the club financially.

Making players better: Guzan has been terrific under Lambert since he was given a chance. Baker and Clarke have improved a great deal this season from last. Delph is now playing his best football under the current manager. I'd also say Gabby has been great under him and better than he was in previous years. Maybe worth giving the manager credit for that.

Style of football: Not what everyone would like/hope. But the manager is 18 months into what he envisaged to be a 5 year project. Right now he simply has to pick up points and play to the strengths of  the players he has at his disposal. That will change. Norwich weren't too bad on the eye under him. His teams try to score. Better players will allow the style of football to improve. But that is for further down the line.

I don't want to go on and on but thought it would be worth taking a general look at what the manager has achieved in a short space of time. Not everyone is going to be delighted and you could pick faults with every manager. But improvements have been made and continue to do so.

As I always point out, there will be ups and downs but that's Villa right now. I think there will be more ups though - and they've been a few already this season :P :P :P :P

Thats a great post. If what we are seeing now is an interim phase - fine - however if we stick at this style - I don't think I could approve in the long term.........that said Delph's goal was a joy to behold ......he looked like he regularly does those !!!

The reason I love these posts is it saves me the trouble of going to the Official Site to get the Club's line on how wonderful everything is.