Paul Lambert

Pilchard

We can't keep a clean sheet, argh Lambert sort it out.

-Start keeping clean sheets and get into the top half after 16 games and a monster run of opening fixtures.

Argh the football is so dull, I can't see any progress or any light at the end of the tunnel.

Seriously, what can Lambert do to make some of you happy?

I wouldn't say no to him buying me a beer.

His comments after the game seemed pretty sensible. I think Lambert is aware of what needs changing, so I'm confident performances will pick up, some time. Annoyingly, some of our best players (most notably Benteke) just aren't performing, not consistently anyway. I don't really know how much Lambert has to do with that.

10th after the start we've had ain't half bad. Didn't deserve to win - didn't deserve to lose. Front three weren't as dangerous as we would have liked but another clean sheet which has to be a positive.

Enjoy your night lads.

I think 10th is a decent start and the defence look so much better.

Disagree about today though I think we did deserve to lose.

-Start keeping clean sheets and get into the top half after 16 games and a monster run of opening fixtures.

Argh the football is so dull, I can't see any progress or any light at the end of the tunnel.

Buy some better players, play something approaching decent football, win more games.  Simple.

We haven't been great but we've hardly "got away" with anything. Aside from the top 9 nobody has really been that good this season.

I think we've got away with it the last two games.

Sunderland should have won and west brom should have had the game won by half time.

But we're 10th place and can hope performances pick up.

They didn't win though and you can say the exact same thing about some of our games (e.g. shouldn't have lost to Chelsea and Liverpool, arguably could've beaten Everton).

I wouldn't say no to him buying me a beer.

He looks like he'd be a mean drunk.

The man bores me when he talks and his team bore me on the pitch

Everything about Villa at the moment is dull

We desperately need a bit of inspiration from somewhere

But i don't see a light at the end of the tunnel

All I can say after today is we are one more point further away from the drop

Tragic

You do know the season does not end in December don't you?! Every club out of the top 8 (and we are  certainly that nowadays) has to aim to get to 40 points asap and then build from that.  Why is that tragic? Lambert has learnt from last season and we are more solid, but the downsides you cannot argue that we are duller to watch. He is midway in his second season so give the guy time to get the balance right. I would take 10th or thereabouts right now come May, after the last 3 seasons.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

This has to be the worst argument ever and I'm not sure why it is still rolled out. NOBODY who called for a tightening of the defence wanted it at the expense of being able to score goals.

Did i say that?

I said that he addressed what was a huge bugbear on here last year. We aren't scoring as many goals but we're getting better results. But people are still saying they don't want him as manager.

I repeat. What can he do right? He has his limitations and he's not the best manager in the world but he's doing a good job for us.

Edited by StefanAVFC

This has to be the worst argument ever and I'm not sure why it is still rolled out. NOBODY who called for a tightening of the defence wanted it at the expense of being able to score goals.

Not really. We've seen a reduction in some of the silly mistakes from the back 4 admittedly, but 'the defence' doesn't just start and end with the defenders on the pitch.

A different formation in certain games has helped keep the goals against down, such as the 5 - 3 - 2 (3 - 5 - 2) and you could argue that playing 4 - 4 - 2 had an effect with the big strikers defending corners.  All has an effect on the attack, albeit not the only reason why we're lacking goals.

To be fair, a huge chunk of goals last season came from CB and he's firing blanks, but you cannot ignore Newton's third law when it comes to tightening the defence.

I agree with that to an extent SB but I don't believe that the only way to improve defensively was to play as insipidly as we are.

And I agree too - just saying that there's numerous factors in play.

CB propped up the goals tally last season so we're having to win matches with him being off sorts. If anything, we've added more goals from around the pitch!

Today felt like a defeat

We played the team at the bottom of the table and failed to score

In their last 4 away games they have conceded 10 goals

We have not won 2 back to back games at home since 2010 and i guess we won't be for a while as we cannot even beat the side at the foot of the PL table

We never break our own ducks we let other teams break theirs because we are a soft touch

At times today we played like a pub side who looked pissed up and could not string more than two passes together without giving the ball away

Whenever we get the ball back we just pump it up the pitch to Benteke who is isolated and out of form

From what ive seen so far this season we should be looking over our shoulders not towards the top 10 we are not consistent enough over 90 minutes to belong in the top 10

Edited by AshVilla

From what ive seen so far this season we should be looking over our shoulders not towards the top 10 we are not consistent enough over 90 minutes to belong in the top 10

Yet we are :D

(Subject to other teams' games in hands of course)