Paul Lambert

Pilchard

The desperation to try and show PL is a "one of the best of his generation" type managers is actually quite illuminating to the way that fans will not see the reality of the situation.

There is no way in the world that Lambert can be shown to be "excellent, fantastic" etc etc following last night night. In isolation to come back from a woeful first 60 minutes (Note: I am assuming Lambert has nothing whatsoever to do with that?) and then get back into a game while still being very close to losing was great because we did not lose to our only derby match of the season but the reality is we were very close to humiliation.

Last year I saw something I hoped and prayed I would never see from a Villa side, total and utter annihilation at Chelsea and the way we lost to Fourth division Bradford. These, along with many many other bad performances and records were on Lamberts (and before anyone get's too much on the high horse, Randy too) watch. 

This season I was told by so many people it would be different but really is it?  I keep hearing "better than last year" and all this bunkum. But when you look so low anything above is better.

I appreciate that many, IMO following the "emperors nee clothes" mentality - but happy to admit that that is just my view - re Lambert and its all about opinions. But when I see OTT reactions and no real realisation of the facts re Lambert with "fantastic" "excellent" etc I do start to wonder where our expectations have now been set

Good luck to PL, I am sure he is a nice man and all that but as yet he has so much to show to a Villa fan of over 40 odd years that he is up to the job that faces him. the next few matches are apparently all easy and winnable so great lets go and do it and forget the shit we have seen before and relegation battles, humiliations and lets hope the the performances become something to be really proud of as Villa fans

Some very valid points and sometimes thats how I feel about him. IMO he has stopped the rot and steadied the ship -he's got there perhaps taking a route not many of us would expect. Like yourself Ive been following villa for 40 odd years - whats changed for me - is that a good manager could come in pretty quickly and make an impact - Graham Taylor - to a lesser extent Gregory from little - numerous other clubs - you threw out a underperforming manager - got a better one in - the results were often dramatic. That doesn't happen so often these days - even with resources greater than PL has.

To me, now - we are where I thought we would be in PL'S first season. Were not pretty but we are becoming difficult to beat. If a chance to win a game presents itself (Arsenal, Man City) we take that advantage - equally there are days when we look totally devoid of ideas. On an optimistic note - when Ron Saunders had a big clear out 1979 - and brought in Pejic, Bremner, Geddis - for while we were a very dour team - but that solid base, a season later - allowed the likes or Morley & Shaw to flourish.....I am not suggesting Lambo is close to anything like that - but the sprinkling of flair is generally the last thing to come.

On a pessimistic note - looking at the defence last - Id fear for us once more if Vlaar got injured.

Edited by smetrov

Not Lambert's finest hour last night. But we pretty much saw everything bad and everything good he brings.

Bizarre tactics. I looked at that team and went "2 big men up front away from home with no width - that is never going to work, we won't create anything and we'll be overrun in midfield". And to nobody's surprise exactly that happened. We won against Cardiff starting the game like that, but did he forget we were awful in that one until he brought on Lowton and changed the formation?! Strange that he thought it would achieve success, there was nothing at all to suggest it would.

Inexperienced players. You don't really need me to run through this one, but it was clear all over the pitch. Defensive mistakes, inability to keep the ball, poor decision making in attack and generally panicking.

Hoofball. Play 2 big men up front with no midfield outlet and that is what you are going to get. McAuley and Olsson absolutely loved it.

Starting slowly. We've conceded the first goal most of any premier league team this season. It makes it so difficult.

Character. We were shocking, we went 2-0 down, but we did not give up when we could have crumbled. We fought back and stole a point we didn't deserve.

Work rate and pace up front. We can frighten any defence when we get it right. Though Kozak and Benteke worked pretty hard, they didn't cause them many problems. Weimann and Gabby came on and though they weren't great technically or beating several players, having them sprinting at the West Brom backline made things happen. They lifted the team, we piled players forward, the balls were raining into their box and we got the goals.

Picking up points when playing badly. A very nice thing we've started this season. Norwich - not great, won. Man City - awful for most of the game, won. Hull - not great, got a point. West Ham - pathetic, got a point. Cardiff - poor, won. West Brom - woeful for an hour, got a point. If we can start winning the games we play well, we'll be challenging for the title! ;)

A LOT to work on in the coming weeks. Lambert's tactics have to improve as well. But after all that we are level with 10th - we play the bottom team at home this weekend whilst West Brom and Newcastle play each other, Swansea go to Man City and Southampton go to Chelsea. A real chance to make some ground in the mid table battle.

Hindsight is wonderful - it's always easy to second guess after the event

Far from being "Not Lambert's finest hour" I thought he did a terrific job last night. A couple of mistakes and a fine take and finish put us two down - it happens. PL did a brilliant job at halftime and with the subs. The comeback shows what spirit he has built

Eight points ahead on like for like fixtures. Six points ahead on last season after 12 games. Fantastic progress

I remember how some posters were lauding Houghton last year - just goes to show our rise and Norwich equivalent fall shows the difference a good manager makes

I read many articles by Steven Howard Chief Sports Writer from 'The Sun.' I read them because by and large he is honest and balanced. He did an article on Roy Hodgson recently and i'm going to apply one or two euphemisms from this article to describe the above post.

Sometimes i feel certain posters on here live in Cloud Cuckoo Land. They actually do believe their own excuses because it's easier to do that than actually face the truth.

Lambert did not do 'a terrific job last night.' He sent a team out last night that was set up completely the wrong way and although West Brom scored two they should have been out of sight by half time. The fact that they weren't was down to poor finishing by West Brom and nothing else.

Lambert's much lauded substitutions were actually obvious substitutions to make. If you have three of your best players on the bench and your team is getting hammered what do you do? I mean what is so terrific about a decision to bring those players on? Just a guess but if anyone on 'VillaTalk' was in the manager's chair last night would we have done anything differently?

However when those players came on and being quite obviously better quality than those that were hooked we played much better and it is a credit to those players and the rest of the team that we got a point when the game seemed lost.

That brings me to the 'fantastic progress' comment. Steven Howard mentioned a phrase called 'Blue Sky Thinking' which means only concentrating on the positives. That phrase must be applied to the opinion above because it doesn't take into consideration the overall performance level of the team last night or this season which with few exceptions has been dire. We seemingly cannot keep possession and our midfield is probably the worst set of midfield players we've had in many a year. No flare, very little technical ability and generally play with a total lack of confidence (rabbit in the headlight syndrome).

Yet we have accumulated more points than at the same stage last season so how can this be if we have been so poor?

Have we forgotten what particular record our present team broke last season? Haven't heard anyone mentioning that recently and i suppose with the law of averages we simply couldn't be as bad as that again. Well in my opinion our standard of football has been just as poor but so far this season we have got away with it due to two cracking goals and something we didn't have in our armoury at the start of last season, character and spirit.

That shouldn't however disguise how poor we've actually been this season and maybe we should concentrate on the one question those with 'Blue Sky Thinking' don't want to answer.

Are we a good team?

The desperation to try and show PL is a "one of the best of his generation" type managers is actually quite illuminating to the way that fans will not see the reality of the situation.

There is no way in the world that Lambert can be shown to be "excellent, fantastic" etc etc following last night night. In isolation to come back from a woeful first 60 minutes (Note: I am assuming Lambert has nothing whatsoever to do with that?) and then get back into a game while still being very close to losing was great because we did not lose to our only derby match of the season but the reality is we were very close to humiliation.

Last year I saw something I hoped and prayed I would never see from a Villa side, total and utter annihilation at Chelsea and the way we lost to Fourth division Bradford. These, along with many many other bad performances and records were on Lamberts (and before anyone get's too much on the high horse, Randy too) watch. 

This season I was told by so many people it would be different but really is it?  I keep hearing "better than last year" and all this bunkum. But when you look so low anything above is better.

I appreciate that many, IMO following the "emperors nee clothes" mentality - but happy to admit that that is just my view - re Lambert and its all about opinions. But when I see OTT reactions and no real realisation of the facts re Lambert with "fantastic" "excellent" etc I do start to wonder where our expectations have now been set

Good luck to PL, I am sure he is a nice man and all that but as yet he has so much to show to a Villa fan of over 40 odd years that he is up to the job that faces him. the next few matches are apparently all easy and winnable so great lets go and do it and forget the shit we have seen before and relegation battles, humiliations and lets hope the the performances become something to be really proud of as Villa fans

Not sure many have inferred that Lambert is `one of the best of his generation' type managers. He broke many records last year, in a bad way, but I am prepared to give him time, at least another couple of seasons before passing judgement. He is relatively inexperienced as a manager, and I think it shows sometimes, but I think he may have something about him, and I am hopeful that he will grow in the job, and that Villa will grow with him. I, like yourself, am a long time supporter, so we both know the value of patience, and I would love it if he, and Villa, were successful, but I think we need to give him time.

Not Lambert's finest hour last night. But we pretty much saw everything bad and everything good he brings.

Bizarre tactics. I looked at that team and went "2 big men up front away from home with no width - that is never going to work, we won't create anything and we'll be overrun in midfield". And to nobody's surprise exactly that happened. We won against Cardiff starting the game like that, but did he forget we were awful in that one until he brought on Lowton and changed the formation?! Strange that he thought it would achieve success, there was nothing at all to suggest it would.

Inexperienced players. You don't really need me to run through this one, but it was clear all over the pitch. Defensive mistakes, inability to keep the ball, poor decision making in attack and generally panicking.

Hoofball. Play 2 big men up front with no midfield outlet and that is what you are going to get. McAuley and Olsson absolutely loved it.

Starting slowly. We've conceded the first goal most of any premier league team this season. It makes it so difficult.

Character. We were shocking, we went 2-0 down, but we did not give up when we could have crumbled. We fought back and stole a point we didn't deserve.

Work rate and pace up front. We can frighten any defence when we get it right. Though Kozak and Benteke worked pretty hard, they didn't cause them many problems. Weimann and Gabby came on and though they weren't great technically or beating several players, having them sprinting at the West Brom backline made things happen. They lifted the team, we piled players forward, the balls were raining into their box and we got the goals.

Picking up points when playing badly. A very nice thing we've started this season. Norwich - not great, won. Man City - awful for most of the game, won. Hull - not great, got a point. West Ham - pathetic, got a point. Cardiff - poor, won. West Brom - woeful for an hour, got a point. If we can start winning the games we play well, we'll be challenging for the title!  ;)

A LOT to work on in the coming weeks. Lambert's tactics have to improve as well. But after all that we are level with 10th -  we play the bottom team at home this weekend whilst West Brom and Newcastle play each other, Swansea go to Man City and Southampton go to Chelsea. A real chance to make some ground in the mid table battle. 

Hindsight is wonderful - it's always easy to second guess after the event

Far from being "Not Lambert's finest hour" I thought he did a terrific job last night. A couple of mistakes and a fine take and finish put us two down - it happens. PL did a brilliant job at halftime and with the subs. The comeback shows what spirit he has built

Eight points ahead on like for like fixtures. Six points ahead on last season after 12 games. Fantastic progress

I remember how some posters were lauding Houghton last year - just goes to show our rise and Norwich equivalent fall shows the difference a good manager makes

I read many articles by Steven Howard Chief Sports Writer from 'The Sun.' I read them because by and large he is honest and balanced. He did an article on Roy Hodgson recently and i'm going to apply one or two euphemisms from this article to describe the above post.

Sometimes i feel certain posters on here live in Cloud Cuckoo Land. They actually do believe their own excuses because it's easier to do that than actually face the truth.

Lambert did not do 'a terrific job last night.' He sent a team out last night that was set up completely the wrong way and although West Brom scored two they should have been out of sight by half time. The fact that they weren't was down to poor finishing by West Brom and nothing else.

Lambert's much lauded substitutions were actually obvious substitutions to make. If you have three of your best players on the bench and your team is getting hammered what do you do? I mean what is so terrific about a decision to bring those players on? Just a guess but if anyone on 'VillaTalk' was in the manager's chair last night would we have done anything differently?

However when those players came on and being quite obviously better quality than those that were hooked we played much better and it is a credit to those players and the rest of the team that we got a point when the game seemed lost.

That brings me to the 'fantastic progress' comment. Steven Howard mentioned a phrase called 'Blue Sky Thinking' which means only concentrating on the positives. That phrase must be applied to the opinion above because it doesn't take into consideration the overall performance level of the team last night or this season which with few exceptions has been dire. We seemingly cannot keep possession and our midfield is probably the worst set of midfield players we've had in many a year. No flare, very little technical ability and generally play with a total lack of confidence (rabbit in the headlight syndrome).

Yet we have accumulated more points than at the same stage last season so how can this be if we have been so poor?

Have we forgotten what particular record our present team broke last season? Haven't heard anyone mentioning that recently and i suppose with the law of averages we simply couldn't be as bad as that again. Well in my opinion our standard of football has been just as poor but so far this season we have got away with it due to two cracking goals and something we didn't have in our armoury at the start of last season, character and spirit. 

That shouldn't however disguise how poor we've actually been this season and maybe we should concentrate on the one question those with 'Blue Sky Thinking' don't want to answer.

Are we a good team? 

No we are not a good team - by any stretch. - I would say though the prospects of us becoming a decent\good team are greater than any time in the last 3 seasons - thats perhaps no big deal. But whatever the injuries, whoever the opposition - we tend to give opposition  teams a hard time - I don't agree with a lot of the players purchased - in particular the lack of width - however with meagre resources we've cobbled together a resilient squad - which is effective if not easy on the eye. I can wait a while longer to see if this is the end game - or if Lambert can take maybe another small step forward in the coming window(s) - I think he's done enough to earn the benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 2

To be fair I can't think of many managers who could have overseen such a massive turnover of players on such a small budget and added quite so much value to the squad. Whilst our football has been a bit dour we obviously needed to sort the defence out after last season as the number 1 priority and he has been a success on that front, despite many of us being concerned that he hadn't managed it at his previous clubs. I know not everyone has to like him, just give him the benefit of the doubt for a bit longer.

• Like 4

To be fair I can't think of many managers who could have overseen such a massive turnover of players on such a small budget and added quite so much value to the squad. Whilst our football has been a bit dour we obviously needed to sort the defence out after last season as the number 1 priority and he has been a success on that front, despite many of us being concerned that he hadn't managed it at his previous clubs. I know not everyone has to like him, just give him the benefit of the doubt for a bit longer.

I think MON could have  :D

• Like 1

Are we a good team? 

At the moment we are an average team built with players that cost less than average and managed by a better than average manager

Given time PL will make us into a good team

I'm very happy to use the words terrific and excellent about Lambert because I think that he is. Our problems last night had less to do with the set up of the team - they didn't come from Albion's supposed midfield maestros for example - and much more to do with a couple of individual mistakes

8 points ahead on like for like fixtures, 6 points ahead on this point last season with the toughest start of any team and an average 6 places ahead, week on week, in league position.

Top 8 next season

Are we a good Team ?

(Oh dear, the actual facts are beginning to work against me lets get metaphysical).

What, in the name of all the most desparate efforts to shape a debate that is drifting away from you, the F=-070- does that mean ?

Was the United side that won the League a good Team ?  Was the Swiss side that beat Spain in the last world cup a good team ? Or was the Spanish side the good Team ?  Are the England Cricket 11 a good team - or is it Australia.  Are spurs a good Team ?  What about Wolves ?

Incredible gooblydegook.

In a recent interview Lambert referred to having to strip the club right back before he could rebuild so I agree with the above. I recognise that we haven't made the progress that alot would've hoped for at this stage but as he said we are only 15/16 months into the process so I'm happy to be patient whilst he rebuilds in a more sustainable fashion rather than expect the short term success some might crave.

Or to put it another way.

First 25 games, average 0.84 points per game, equating to 32 per season - or second/third bottom.

Second 25 games, average 1.4 points per game, or 53 points per season - or 8th.  Wouldn't 8th be a good season ?

Or match equivalent games against equivalent teams - better

Or match same stage of season reagrdless of opposition - better.

Statisticians amongst you will be interested in his 10 game rolling points average, every 10 games from the beginning of last season.  For a long while it was at 0.9, has risen as high as 1.7, and is currently 1.2, with a very steady, slow, upward trend.  Importantly a shift from 0.9 points a game to 1.1 points per game is worth 8 points a season - as a minimum  his rolling average is now always at least 42 points.  Until 5 games ago his rolling average was between 1.4 and 1.7 points per game for 14 games (i.e. between 53 and 65 points for the season) - not suprising we couldn't maintain that - especially with up to 6 or 7 first choce players injured and games against all the Top 10.

So whether people like it or not (incredible really, you would think everyone would want to beleive something so positive) we actually are improving.

Many many clubs get a new Manager and start off well then decline.  We got one who has steadily improved.  The defence conceedes less. We lose less.  We remain unbeaten more.

An argument over performances is a different issue, but as for whether PL is improving the results of the Club, yes he clearly is. That is not subjective.

Then there is the subjective stuff.  Bent, Warnock, Collins, Ireland, etc etc - which one is it that is setting the League alight, remind me...oh yeah....none of them.

Then the question of his buys - one or two do not seem to have developed.  But has KEA ? Has Vlaar ?  Has Westwood ? Has Benteke ?

Is Delph a better player ?  Guzan ?  Even Clarke.  Definitely Baker.  Does Bacuna look a reasonable buy ?  Gabby getting back to his best ?

They are all subjective and people may well feel negative about some but if you add the actual statistics to what some  - myself - would say is promise from the majority of purchases and retainees, to the obviously more sure footed financial status, then YES, we are improving, NO PL is not a messiah, but we are on an upward curve.

Like everyone a bit more actual good football would be welcome  - pretty sure he knows that too -  but the League is full of stories of Teams who played a bit and ended up relegated or bankrupt.

Under PL we will be neither and there is plenty of reason for those that want to think so to consider he has the nous, the staff, the ideas, the philosophy, that will continue an upward journey.

For some to suggest we are deluded is baseless.  You may find reasons to fault him - look at some Gunners fans with Wenger so PL has no chance - but you can hardly say those that support him have no or few grounds for so doing.

If this post was a woman... I'd **** that woman.

• Like 1

First 25 games, average 0.84 points per game, equating to 32 per season - or second/third bottom.

Second 25 games, average 1.4 points per game, or 53 points per season - or 8th.  Wouldn't 8th be a good season ?

Statisticians amongst you will be interested in his 10 game rolling points average, every 10 games from the beginning of last season.  For a long while it was at 0.9, has risen as high as 1.7, and is currently 1.2, with a very steady, slow, upward trend.  Importantly a shift from 0.9 points a game to 1.1 points per game is worth 8 points a season - as a minimum  his rolling average is now always at least 42 points.  Until 5 games ago his rolling average was between 1.4 and 1.7 points per game for 14 games (i.e. between 53 and 65 points for the season) - not suprising we couldn't maintain that - especially with up to 6 or 7 first choce players injured and games against all the Top 10.

So whether people like it or not (incredible really, you would think everyone would want to beleive something so positive) we actually are improving.

Many many clubs get a new Manager and start off well then decline.  We got one who has steadily improved.  The defence conceedes less. We lose less.  We remain unbeaten more.

An argument over performances is a different issue, but as for whether PL is improving the results of the Club, yes he clearly is. That is not subjective.

Then there is the subjective stuff.  Bent, Warnock, Collins, Ireland, etc etc - which one is it that is setting the League alight, remind me...oh yeah....none of them.

Then the question of his buys - one or two do not seem to have developed.  But has KEA ? Has Vlaar ?  Has Westwood ? Has Benteke ?

Is Delph a better player ?  Guzan ?  Even Clarke.  Definitely Baker.  Does Bacuna look a reasonable buy ?  Gabby getting back to his best ?

They are all subjective and people may well feel negative about some but if you add the actual statistics to what some  - myself - would say is promise from the majority of purchases and retainees, to the obviously more sure footed financial status, then YES, we are improving, NO PL is not a messiah, but we are on an upward curve.

Like everyone a bit more actual good football would be welcome  - pretty sure he knows that too -  but the League is full of stories of Teams who played a bit and ended up relegated or bankrupt.

Under PL we will be neither and there is plenty of reason for those that want to think so to consider he has the nous, the staff, the ideas, the philosophy, that will continue an upward journey.

For some to suggest we are deluded is baseless.  You may find reasons to fault him - look at some Gunners fans with Wenger so PL has no chance - but you can hardly say those that support him have no or few grounds for so doing.

DiscoLambo.gif

Second 25 games, average 1.4 points per game, or 53 points per season - or 8th. Wouldn't 8th be a good season ?

Statisticians amongst you will be interested in his 10 game rolling points average, every 10 games from the beginning of last season. For a long while it was at 0.9, has risen as high as 1.7, and is currently 1.2, with a very steady, slow, upward trend. Importantly a shift from 0.9 points a game to 1.1 points per game is worth 8 points a season - as a minimum his rolling average is now always at least 42 points. Until 5 games ago his rolling average was between 1.4 and 1.7 points per game for 14 games (i.e. between 53 and 65 points for the season) - not suprising we couldn't maintain that - especially with up to 6 or 7 first choce players injured and games against all the Top 10.

Many many clubs get a new Manager and start off well then decline. We got one who has steadily improved. The defence conceedes less. We lose less. We remain unbeaten more.

Then there is the subjective stuff. Bent, Warnock, Collins, Ireland, etc etc - which one is it that is setting the League alight, remind me...oh yeah....none of them.

Then the question of his buys - one or two do not seem to have developed. But has KEA ? Has Vlaar ? Has Westwood ? Has Benteke ?

Is Delph a better player ? Guzan ? Even Clarke. Definitely Baker. Does Bacuna look a reasonable buy ? Gabby getting back to his best ?

They are all subjective and people may well feel negative about some but if you add the actual statistics to what some - myself - would say is promise from the majority of purchases and retainees, to the obviously more sure footed financial status, then YES, we are improving, NO PL is not a messiah, but we are on an upward curve.

Like everyone a bit more actual good football would be welcome - pretty sure he knows that too - but the League is full of stories of Teams who played a bit and ended up relegated or bankrupt.

For some to suggest we are deluded is baseless. You may find reasons to fault him - look at some Gunners fans with Wenger so PL has no chance - but you can hardly say those that support him have no or few grounds for so doing.

I don't think there's much that can be argued with in that post.

I agree a brilliant post.

I do personally get frustrated at times (usually when we are losing in fairness) but that's because i love the club and so desperately want to see it do well and lets be honest ....it's been a while since we were genuinely a really good team. But i do like Paul Lambert and really hope he stays to complete the job. We do have some patches when we are frankly dire but i guess this will gradually improve & we just have to be patient whilst the players learn. We do now though also have some hot spells in games which appear to be very slowly lengthening as the months and games pass.

BaCEqhiCcAAyxxp.png

Premier League table since Feb 1st (Lambert's last 25 games). We was bottom of this for his first 25 games with just 21 points. If we repeat the last 25 games we will be top 10 this season easy. Yes performances have not been great but we are still picking up points which is a massive positive.

Last 13 games of last season - 20 points when the majority of fans said we played great football

Beat Sunderland and we would of taken 18 points from the first 13 this season when we have not played as we did last season

Edited by lmarsha_926

Bringing in Barry on a loan deal is not planning for the future. Yes we are a bit short in midfield but I like Delph and Westwood and these players will continue improving.

What future are you talking about though ? - to me in July, the future is the following season. Football is very much the here and now - these vague promises of Jam Tommorow rarley come to fruition. I would expect the bulk of those players to perform at round about the level they are now.....true some will shift up a gear (Delph) - whilst others will flounder (Lowton). Expecting steady season on season improvement across the squad generally doesn't happen - good as this theory sounds

I'm thinking the next two or three years when many of our young players should peak, Barry might give us something this season but who would he replace? westwood who is only going to get better.  And what's the point? we won;t get into a european place and we won't go down. I'd rather stick with Westwood. and anyway you can't turn back the clock. Barry is probably not quite as good as when he left us and he's slow.

Edited by PaulC

Last 12 games 2012/2013

Arsenal

Man City

Reading

QPR

Liverpool

Stoke

Fulham

Man Utd

Sunderland

Norwich

Chelsea

Wigan

17 points

First 12 games 2013/2014

Arsenal

Chelsea

Liverpool

Newcastle

Norwich

Everton

Tottenham

Hull

West Ham

Man City

Cardiff

West Brom

15 points

We all raved about how well we finished last season but we are matching that this season with slightly harder fixtures, maybe performances are not there but results are similar

Good point. And with that happy thought I am off to bed!