Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Agreed, it was marginally better than the first 45 against Liverpool, but that's not saying a lot is it ?

And i'm inclined to think the booing wasn't just about Saturday (which was dire) or even the Liverpool 45. It was probably a culmination of the last year or more of generally piss poor showings at home. Which is where people tend to spend most of their money watching. Villa Park is where 90% or more of our supporters turn up to watch the team. By and large we do show up and the team don't.

You pays your money, you have the right to vent an opinion. Personally i just sat there dumbfounded by what i'd just witnessed in front of my eyes

Good post

I'm all for getting behind the manager/team...but sometimes they test your patience.

That game was a bit of a barometer of our progress and I guess the booing was a result of the disappoint of so many things being wrong on the day, as well as the overall thought of this happening too often at home.....2 weeks break and it was a tad reminiscent of the Liverpool game...so what is being learned?

Paul Lambert talks of us being a high tempo team and that we do not have the nous to play a slow build up game....I guess our opposition are also aware of this and know how to stop us.

We don' t seem to be able to change things ( during the game)when they are not working.

This is not calling for the managers head....it's saying there are things wrong and they have been for some time.

• Like 1

I do think that the extended amount of time off hurt us. Everyone, save for Delph was lethargic for large spells of the game. Hopefully a more consistent schedule can help us

The 'extended amount of time off hurt us'.

Is this the lame excuse now flying off the shelves when the 'too many games in a short space of time' excuse is not appropriate?

I wonder what the optimum amount of games in the optimum amount of time actually is!

Was talking to Chris Nicholl our old Captain and CH from the 70s. He maintains that PL has a problem with older more experienced players and that his young and/or inexperienced squad is not going to thrive in the Premiership.

Mike, don't confuse, experience with ability.

If they are good enough they are old enough, sure a bit of experience is welcome.

I personally am not at odds with signing young players as they grow together, there are as many pluses or more than Ron Atkinsons strategy of "ready made "or"off the peg "players in their late twenties or early thirties that give you instant results, but we all know the downsides too.

The real burning question of our strategy is ARE THEY GOOD ENOUGH or how long do we wait until they are?

There are clear examples of teams doing similar to us like Spurs, but they sign Christen Eriksen, what looks like a level above our quality.

I guess, we have to give him a chance to do what he is looking to do and wait until its clear one way or another whether its working or not.

It seems reading some of his comments in the BIrmingham Mail he does know a fair bit of what's wrong...perhaps selecting Sylla would ease a bit of his pain ,but that just my opinion.

It also appears PL /PF & RL are singing off the same hymn sheet, but would be interesting to hear the blue print from them as to the future strategy....then only then can the fans reasonably measure any progress and have tangible hope going forward.

It's very noble and touching to ask us to stick with it....but we kinda need to know what we sticking with.

Blind faith or a loyal resolve towards a programme of progression that is clear to see.

• Like 3

I do think that the extended amount of time off hurt us. Everyone, save for Delph was lethargic for large spells of the game. Hopefully a more consistent schedule can help us

Is this the lame excuse now flying off the shelves when the 'too many games in a short space of time' excuse is not appropriate?

I wonder what the optimum amount of games in the optimum amount of time actually is!

Probably 1 game in one week and 1 game the next week.. 

That is a cracking post TRO.

The only thing I'd slightly disagree with is that I would welcome a bit more proven quality at this level with a little more experience. We lack a couple of players with a bit of nous, who can offer leadership and support to these young lads as they develop and find their feet at this level. Players that can offer and arm around the shoulder or a kick up the backside in a game as required and who know how to see out a game or slow a game down as and when needed. Centre back and centre midfield we are crying out for a little more know how. A Martin Laursen and Stan Petrov would make a world of difference.

Edited by markavfc40

The only thing I'd slightly disagree with is that I would welcome a bit more proven quality at this level with a little more experience. We lack a couple of players with a bit of nous, who can offer leadership and support to these young lads as they develop and find their feet at this level. Players that can offer and arm around the shoulder or a kick up the backside in a game as required and who know how to see out a game or slow a game down as and when needed. Centre back and centre midfield we are crying out for a little more know how. A Martin Laursen and Stan Petrov would make a world of difference.

A Gareth Barry maybe?

Probably 1 game in one week and 1 game the next week.. 

Bottle it, you've cracked it, you'll make a fortune with that idea!

:)

Thanks mark

The man is obviously more knowledgable about the whole thing than me...but we need to know a bit more than we are getting from.

Ps.....Nice to hear Jonjo shelvey apologising for his mistakes to the Swansea fans on TV

a bit of honesty goes a long way

Got to agree with TRO and Markavfc on this. We definitely need to know if there is some sort of plan for the club, from our top brass. We also need a bit of steely experience in the spine of the team. I don't care which position just as long as they can kick a few arses on the pitch, and I mean those of our own players as well as the opposition!

I was all for signing Gareth Barry and said as much when it was rumoured earlier in the summer. He was good enough to be a regular for Man City last season, still good enough to be a regular for Everton this season and comfortably good enough to walk into our team. He would have been great to play/train alongside the likes of Westwood/Gardner and as they and others develop be a great role model/influence whilst still contributing in a positive way as he is still a quality performer at this level. His nous and know how would have been invaluable. Wasn't to be though sadly either because Lambert didn't fancy him or the likely 40 - 50k a week Everton are contributing towards his wages was out of our league.

Edited by markavfc40

A Gareth Barry maybe?

A guy who works at my place told me that his mate works at the club and he had heard that Lambert turned Gareth Barry down on a season long loan deal with Man City paying his wages. He told me that about 2 weeks before Barry signed for Everton.

I know a few wouldn't have liked the idea but he would have been ideal for us and the young lads around him would have learned a lot.

a pound to a penny,  the plan is something like this

Randy "Well I ain't really that interested anymore - sure there's a few million for players - but don't rack up the wage bill - it looks bad to potential buyers. Try and keep us in the prem - but not to worry if you can't"

Lambo thinks "Well surley with the resources I can keep these guys around Mid table, prove myself and I'll move on"

IMO - thats the plan - if you can call it a plan - the fans will swallow 'Jam tomorrow'  for a good while yet

Was talking to Chris Nicholl our old Captain and CH from the 70s. He maintains that PL has a problem with older more experienced players and that his young and/or inexperienced squad is not going to thrive in the Premiership.

If they are good enough they are old enough, sure a bit of experience is welcome.

I personally am not at odds with signing young players as they grow together, there are as many pluses or more than Ron Atkinsons strategy of "ready made "or"off the peg "players in their late twenties or early thirties that give you instant results, but we all know the downsides too.

The real burning question of our strategy is ARE THEY GOOD ENOUGH or how long do we wait until they are?

There are clear examples of teams doing similar to us like Spurs, but they sign Christen Eriksen, what looks like a level above our quality.

I guess, we have to give him a chance to do what he is looking to do and wait until its clear one way or another whether its working or not.

It seems reading some of his comments in the BIrmingham Mail he does know a fair bit of what's wrong...perhaps selecting Sylla would ease a bit of his pain ,but that just my opinion.

It also appears PL /PF & RL are singing off the same hymn sheet, but would be interesting to hear the blue print from them as to the future strategy....then only then can the fans reasonably measure any progress and have tangible hope going forward.

It's very noble and touching to ask us to stick with it....but we kinda need to know what we sticking with.

Blind faith or a loyal resolve towards a programme of progression that is clear to see.

I agree with much of what you say but I am a bit tired of the "good enough, old enough" debate - there is no doubt in my mind that we need more experience. On Saturday we had no one who could change the game. There is no leadership - the only one who was trying to gee players up was Gabby.

That said I am not advocating Big Rons approach. I just feel that we are at the other extreme now and it is a very high risk strategy having to wait to see if enough of this squad can make it.

It's **** that already we are one place off relegation and Lambert is asking for our patience. I hope I am wrong but maybe he is not going to be the manager we hoped for. Over reaction? Definitely but Saturday was **** and we expected more - not having "to stick with it" AGAIN.

We lost that game from the lack of support, 38,000 in the stadium 35,000 were Villa; we will get better support from taking 2,000 supports to Norwich and hope for a result.

What comes first the chicken or the egg?

So it's the fans fault now...classic.

9 home wins in 40 and 38,000 gate.....our fans are incredible.

• Like 1

No one was more excited than me when he joined. The one nagging doubt was the defensive abilities of his teams - a doubt that has steadily grown. I don't think he will ever sort it to be honest - and we are now plodding towards a convenient time for a parting of the ways.

Thats not calling for his head - But I will be surprised if his time here is remembered for for much more than relegation battles and wondering if Bentekes goals can save us. 

I agree with much of what you say but I am a bit tired of the "good enough, old enough" debate - there is no doubt in my mind that we need more experience. On Saturday we had no one who could change the game. There is no leadership - the only one who was trying to gee players up was Gabby.

That said I am not advocating Big Rons approach. I just feel that we are at the other extreme now and it is a very high risk strategy having to wait to see if enough of this squad can make it.

It's **** that already we are one place off relegation and Lambert is asking for our patience. I hope I am wrong but maybe he is not going to be the manager we hoped for. Over reaction? Definitely but Saturday was **** and we expected more - not having "to stick with it" AGAIN.

Mike ,The manager gives me the impression he knows anything we profess to know.

"We rely on a high tempo game....we have not got the nous in the squad to slow the game down, that's for the future"

That suggests to me he knows , but we have what we have.

Edited by TRO

Mike ,The manager gives me the impression he knows anything we profess to know.

"We rely on a height tempo game....we have not got the nous in the squad to slow the game down, that's for the future"

That suggests to me he knows , but we have what we have.

And if we accept that he knows what he is talking about, this statement alone proves the nonsense of the "good enough, old enough" debate. If fact I find it quite galling that by his own admission we can only play a counter attacking game. I hope his gamble pays off and the squad don't have to acquire said "nous" in the Champsionship.